E2k 'pauses' when one DC is down !

Post by Danie » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 08:07:05

I have an odd problem with our otherwise functioning E2k
Server (SP3). Whenever our 'main' DC goes down or is
rebootet, all Outlook Exchange Clients 'pause'. The
Exchange Server notes 2102 and 2103 errors (looked at all
KB articles already, no go), but no services ever stop.
The even log reports 'All Domain Controllers / Global
Catalog Servers in use are not responding'. Then a list
with 5 DCs (or 4 GCs). While the 'downed' DC is the first
one, why does Exchange not use any of the other ones ?
They are all up and 100% reachable from the server. The
SeSecurityPrivilege is set fine on all servers. And all
are discered via auto mode instead of manual.

One more thing - the Outlook client will pop-up
a 'requesting data' windows saying "Outlook is retrieving
data from the MS Exchange Server "xxx" " - where xxx is
not the E2k Servers name at all, but that of the 'downed'
DC/GC !

Any help appreciated,
Thanks,
Daniel.

E2k 'pauses' when one DC is down !

Post by Mark Fugat » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 08:11:57

Are the other Global Catalog servers, Exchange requires access to a Global
Catalog server, make one of the other DC's a Global Catalog server as well.

--
Mark Fugatt
Pentech Office Solutions Inc

Quote:> I have an odd problem with our otherwise functioning E2k
> Server (SP3). Whenever our 'main' DC goes down or is
> rebootet, all Outlook Exchange Clients 'pause'. The
> Exchange Server notes 2102 and 2103 errors (looked at all
> KB articles already, no go), but no services ever stop.
> The even log reports 'All Domain Controllers / Global
> Catalog Servers in use are not responding'. Then a list
> with 5 DCs (or 4 GCs). While the 'downed' DC is the first
> one, why does Exchange not use any of the other ones ?
> They are all up and 100% reachable from the server. The
> SeSecurityPrivilege is set fine on all servers. And all
> are discered via auto mode instead of manual.

> One more thing - the Outlook client will pop-up
> a 'requesting data' windows saying "Outlook is retrieving
> data from the MS Exchange Server "xxx" " - where xxx is
> not the E2k Servers name at all, but that of the 'downed'
> DC/GC !

> Any help appreciated,
> Thanks,
> Daniel.

E2k 'pauses' when one DC is down !

Post by Danie » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 08:17:04

Mark,
thanks. In fact, of the 5 DCs, 4 are Global Catalogs as
well. And Exchange recognized that successfully (as the
error in the log states all 5 DCs and all 4 GCs). I can
duplicate the issue at anytime by restarting the first
DC. Any ideas ? This doesn't have anything to do with the
RUS, does it?

Sorry for the cross-post earlier ! Bad habit !!

Daniel

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Are the other Global Catalog servers, Exchange requires
access to a Global
>Catalog server, make one of the other DC's a Global

Catalog server as well.

>--
>Mark Fugatt
>Pentech Office Solutions Inc
>www.exchangetrainer.com and www.4mcts.com
>Visit www.msexchange.org for practical information on
Microsoft Exchange

>--- Please respond to this newsgroup and not directly
via Email ---

>> I have an odd problem with our otherwise functioning
E2k
>> Server (SP3). Whenever our 'main' DC goes down or is
>> rebootet, all Outlook Exchange Clients 'pause'. The
>> Exchange Server notes 2102 and 2103 errors (looked at
all
>> KB articles already, no go), but no services ever stop.
>> The even log reports 'All Domain Controllers / Global
>> Catalog Servers in use are not responding'. Then a list
>> with 5 DCs (or 4 GCs). While the 'downed' DC is the
first
>> one, why does Exchange not use any of the other ones ?
>> They are all up and 100% reachable from the server. The
>> SeSecurityPrivilege is set fine on all servers. And all
>> are discered via auto mode instead of manual.

>> One more thing - the Outlook client will pop-up
>> a 'requesting data' windows saying "Outlook is
retrieving
>> data from the MS Exchange Server "xxx" " - where xxx is
>> not the E2k Servers name at all, but that of
the 'downed'
>> DC/GC !

>> Any help appreciated,
>> Thanks,
>> Daniel.

>.

E2k 'pauses' when one DC is down !

Post by Mark Fugat » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 09:19:53

You can get problems if RUS is configured to point to the DC that you have
downed, create an additional RUS and point it to another DC

--
Mark Fugatt

> Mark,
> thanks. In fact, of the 5 DCs, 4 are Global Catalogs as
> well. And Exchange recognized that successfully (as the
> error in the log states all 5 DCs and all 4 GCs). I can
> duplicate the issue at anytime by restarting the first
> DC. Any ideas ? This doesn't have anything to do with the
> RUS, does it?

> Sorry for the cross-post earlier ! Bad habit !!

> Daniel

Post by Danie » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 01:39:37

Mark,
thanks again.
I thought of that as well, and did create a second RUS,
pointing to another DC, but the results were the same
unfortunately...

Thx,
Daniel.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>You can get problems if RUS is configured to point to

the DC that you have
>downed, create an additional RUS and point it to another
DC

>--
>Mark Fugatt

>> Mark,
>> thanks. In fact, of the 5 DCs, 4 are Global Catalogs as
>> well. And Exchange recognized that successfully (as the
>> error in the log states all 5 DCs and all 4 GCs). I can
>> duplicate the issue at anytime by restarting the first
>> DC. Any ideas ? This doesn't have anything to do with
the
>> RUS, does it?

>> Sorry for the cross-post earlier ! Bad habit !!

>> Daniel

Post by Jay Crum » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 08:52:32

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=2102&source=

looked at this?

> PS
> please see attachment (Word DOC) of actual error.

> THANKS !!

> Daniel.

Post by Danie » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 10:59:49

Event Type:     Error
Forgot, I get these by the hundreds WHILE the 'one' DC is
down as well !

Event Source:   MSExchangeSA
Event Category: RFR Interface
Event ID:       9074
Date:           8/31/2002
Time:           6:56:42 PM
User:           N/A
Computer:       MAIL2002
The Directory Service Referral interface failed to
service a client request. RFRI is returning the error
code:[0x3f0].

For more information, click

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have an odd problem with our otherwise functioning E2k
>Server (SP3). Whenever our 'main' DC goes down or is
>rebootet, all Outlook Exchange Clients 'pause'. The
>Exchange Server notes 2102 and 2103 errors (looked at
all
>KB articles already, no go), but no services ever stop.
>The even log reports 'All Domain Controllers / Global
>Catalog Servers in use are not responding'. Then a list
>with 5 DCs (or 4 GCs). While the 'downed' DC is the
first
>one, why does Exchange not use any of the other ones ?
>They are all up and 100% reachable from the server. The
>SeSecurityPrivilege is set fine on all servers. And all
>are discered via auto mode instead of manual.

>One more thing - the Outlook client will pop-up
>a 'requesting data' windows saying "Outlook is
retrieving
>data from the MS Exchange Server "xxx" " - where xxx is
>not the E2k Servers name at all, but that of
the 'downed'
>DC/GC !

>Any help appreciated,
>Thanks,
>Daniel.
>.

E2k 'pauses' when one DC is down !

Post by Danie » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 11:01:53

Jay thank you -
yes I did.
And I checked both the SeSecurityPrivilege on ALL the
DCs/GCs (they were fine). And we have 5 DCs of which 4
are GCs, all on the same network / subnet. So while this
makes total sense, neither apply..

Thanks !
Daniel.

1. Exchange Server 'pauses' when on DC/GC is down

[...]

2. backoffice server info needed.

3. Outlook Can't Connect to 2nd E2K Svr when 1st E2k Down

4. InfoStore backup 0KB???

5. Can't start Exchange with the other DC down

6. Reboot problem

7. Exchange2000 and multiple DC's fails when Masterbrowser is going down

8. SBS Fax Service

9. Exchange Doesn't work After 1 DC goes down

10. Moving E2K from DC to separate server - KB 297289 didn't work out

11. Other DC's don't have Exchange 2K Schema

12. Problem with GAL when one DC is down

13. No 'Exchange Tasks/Options' on DC