Connectivity for 2 EXCH srevers

Post by Chri » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 23:35:55

We currently have 2 EXCH 2K servers setup in the same
oganization and storage group. The second EXCH server will
eventually become the main mail server. If we were to move
mailboxes from our mail EXCh server to the 2nd EXCH server
can those mailboxes still send and receive mail? Given we
make the necessary changes for Internet access (identical
to main EXCH server) and clint changes.

Example:

abc server (main server)
xyz server (2nd server)

1. Move some mailboxes from abc server to xyz server.
2. Both mail servers should handle incoming and outgoing
messages for the same domain "efg.com."
3. Clients have been change to view mailbox information
for their EXCH server.
4. IP addresses are separate and settings have been
configured to match abc server on xyz server

Thanks in advance.

Connectivity for 2 EXCH srevers

Post by Rohinton[MSFT » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 01:02:27

A movemailbox is possible.

2. Both mail servers should handle incoming and outgoing
messages for the same domain "efg.com."
If u mean that both servers should receive mail from the internet , its not
a good idea. Configure an SMTP conenctor on one server with "*" as the
address space and let the SMTP connector send and receive mail. This is the
servers IP which will be there in the MX record.

3.Clients have been change to view mailbox information
for their EXCH server.

when u do a move mailbox this will happen automatically. Let the clients
login once before u shutdown the original server. (if u plan too.)  Also
please ensure that the clients donot access the mailbox during the move.

rgds

newsgroup purposes only.

Quote:> We currently have 2 EXCH 2K servers setup in the same
> oganization and storage group. The second EXCH server will
> eventually become the main mail server. If we were to move
> mailboxes from our mail EXCh server to the 2nd EXCH server
> can those mailboxes still send and receive mail? Given we
> make the necessary changes for Internet access (identical
> to main EXCH server) and clint changes.

> Example:

> abc server (main server)
> xyz server (2nd server)

> 1. Move some mailboxes from abc server to xyz server.
> 2. Both mail servers should handle incoming and outgoing
> messages for the same domain "efg.com."
> 3. Clients have been change to view mailbox information
> for their EXCH server.
> 4. IP addresses are separate and settings have been
> configured to match abc server on xyz server

> Thanks in advance.

Connectivity for 2 EXCH srevers

Post by Chri » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 01:46:03

I am not sure about configuring the SMTP connector
to "*" . How should this be done on the main server? Will
this mess up the existing domain?

Thanks again for clarification

confers no rights.
>Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This
alias is for
>newsgroup purposes only.

>> We currently have 2 EXCH 2K servers setup in the same
>> oganization and storage group. The second EXCH server
will
>> eventually become the main mail server. If we were to
move
>> mailboxes from our mail EXCh server to the 2nd EXCH
server
>> can those mailboxes still send and receive mail? Given
we
>> make the necessary changes for Internet access
(identical
>> to main EXCH server) and clint changes.

>> Example:

>> abc server (main server)
>> xyz server (2nd server)

>> 1. Move some mailboxes from abc server to xyz server.
>> 2. Both mail servers should handle incoming and outgoing
>> messages for the same domain "efg.com."
>> 3. Clients have been change to view mailbox information
>> for their EXCH server.
>> 4. IP addresses are separate and settings have been
>> configured to match abc server on xyz server

>> Thanks in advance.

>.

1. OWA has lost connectivity with Exch Server

At 5am this morning, I used OWA to get into my mail - no problems.
At 8am this morning I started receiving calls that OWA isn't working.
Now, after entering in a username, and clicking "click here" nothing
happens - it's as if there's no exchange server for OWA to connect to.
1. Nothing has been done to either the Exchange Server or the Web Server
running OWA
2. I can Ping the Exchange Server from the Web Server, and Vice-versa.
3. Exchange Server is:  NT 4.0, SP5, Exch 5.5, SP3
4. Web Server is:  NT 4.0, SP5, IIS, and OWA SP2.
5. I've rebooted each machine a few time's already, and tried re-applying
the respective SP's..no change.
 I've done a complete Uninstall, and re-install of OWA on the Web Server,
with no change.
I'm completely at a loss for where to go from here...?
Anyone have an idea of where to look, and what to look for?

Thanx,
Creighton Bright

2. Same Item in Multiple Folders?

3. Exch 5.5 IMAP4 Connectivity Errors

4. Error with Event ID 181 during directory replication

5. Connectivity To Exch 2000

6. Help: Opinions needed please..

7. exmerge

8. Up Exch 5.5 to Exch 2000 using Exch from BackOffice 2000 CDs

9. Migrate Exch 5.5 to Exch 2k

10. Win NT 4.0 / Exch 5.5 TO Win2k AD / Exch 2k Cluster

11. Upgrade Exch 4 (NT4) to Exch 2000

12. Upgrading/Migreting from Exch 5.5 to Exch 2K