VPN Connectivity for Remote Outlook users

VPN Connectivity for Remote Outlook users

Post by Jonsmit » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 04:34:04

Help!  I have a server setup with Exchange 2000 and 20 users.  I have one
remote client (XP home user) who can communicate via VPN to this server and
sees their files.  How can I setup Outlook to communicate with the Exchange
server?  I have tried all of the obvious answers, connection type etc.  But
I cannot seem to communicate to the exchange server to verify the user's
mailbox...  At one point I actually got the exchage server to prompt me for
a user name, password and domain, but then it failed when I provided it with
the information which I know is correct.  (And yes the user does have the
"dial in" permission set)

Is there any KB article that clearly defines the steps and procedures for
VPN Connectivity to Exchange, or is there another resouce that might help me
identify the problem here?

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated....

Robert

VPN Connectivity for Remote Outlook users

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 13:41:46

Can you ping the Exchange server by name? If not, you need an lmhosts
file...

> Help!  I have a server setup with Exchange 2000 and 20 users.  I have
> one remote client (XP home user) who can communicate via VPN to this
> server and sees their files.  How can I setup Outlook to communicate
> with the Exchange server?  I have tried all of the obvious answers,
> connection type etc.  But I cannot seem to communicate to the
> exchange server to verify the user's mailbox...  At one point I
> actually got the exchage server to prompt me for a user name,
> password and domain, but then it failed when I provided it with the
> information which I know is correct.  (And yes the user does have the
> "dial in" permission set)

> Is there any KB article that clearly defines the steps and procedures
> for VPN Connectivity to Exchange, or is there another resouce that
> might help me identify the problem here?

> Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated....

> Robert

1. remote user connectivity for Outlook mail

We just installed a new Windows 2000/Exchange 2000 mail
server.  Clients with laptops could connect remotely (
RAS) to the former NT4/Exchange 5.5 Server and obtain mail
through Outlook  97 client or 2002.
Users can still log on remotely, but cannot send or
receive mail through Outlook 2002 on their Windows 2000
professional O/S laptops.
Mail is being delivered to .pst files ( Personnal Folders).

Any ideas?

2. Block Extension

3. Outlook 2002 Connectivity issue over VPN to E2K

4. Can't Login to OWA

5. Outlook 2002 connectivity via dial-up and VPN

6. Mail routing problem

7. Outlook 2000 through VPN intermittent connectivity loss

8. What is LDAP and where I can find it??

9. IM and Remote users over VPN

10. Remote 9x users VPN to Win2k Domain/Exchange 2000

11. IM and remote users over VPN

12. Remote DSL-VPN users getting Exchange timeouts

13. Remote users cannot connect to Exchange Server through vpn