imap4 & pop3 problems

Post by KaDa » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 05:27:25

Hi,
we are not able to connect to our exchange2000 server via imap4 or pop3.
Both protocols are configured.
SMTP & MS-OWA works fine from outside and inside lan.
imap4 nor pop3 are working inside lan or outside.

a telnet to the exchange server on port 143 (imap4) show the right reaction
of the system.
but login fails..
anyone an idea ? It's for sure not a firewall issues, because it doesn't
work also from inside lan

thx

imap4 & pop3 problems

Post by Mark Fugat » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 06:08:23

If the users Windows 2000 Logon Name is different to their Exchange 2000
alias, then they need to configure their client to provide their logon
creditials in the following format:

w2kdomainname\w2klogonname\e2kalias

--
Mark Fugatt
Pentech Office Solutions Inc

Quote:> Hi,
> we are not able to connect to our exchange2000 server via imap4 or pop3.
> Both protocols are configured.
> SMTP & MS-OWA works fine from outside and inside lan.
> imap4 nor pop3 are working inside lan or outside.

> a telnet to the exchange server on port 143 (imap4) show the right
reaction
> of the system.
> but login fails..
> anyone an idea ? It's for sure not a firewall issues, because it doesn't
> work also from inside lan

> thx

imap4 & pop3 problems

Post by Mark Fugat » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 07:09:47

OK, take a look at this link and see if it applies:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q272492

--
Mark Fugatt

> They are identical, when I'm using Outlook with a direct connection to
> Exchange Server, not additional identification is done.
> My Windows account is connect to Exchange information, by using AD

> > If the users Windows 2000 Logon Name is different to their Exchange 2000
> > alias, then they need to configure their client to provide their logon
> > creditials in the following format:

> > w2kdomainname\w2klogonname\e2kalias

> > --
> > Mark Fugatt
> > Pentech Office Solutions Inc
> > www.exchangetrainer.com and www.4mcts.com
> > Visit www.msexchange.org for practical information on Microsoft Exchange

> > --- Please respond to this newsgroup and not directly via Email ---

> > > Hi,
> > > we are not able to connect to our exchange2000 server via imap4 or
pop3.
> > > Both protocols are configured.
> > > SMTP & MS-OWA works fine from outside and inside lan.
> > > imap4 nor pop3 are working inside lan or outside.

> > > a telnet to the exchange server on port 143 (imap4) show the right
> > reaction
> > > of the system.
> > > but login fails..
> > > anyone an idea ? It's for sure not a firewall issues, because it
doesn't
> > > work also from inside lan

> > > thx

imap4 & pop3 problems

Post by KaDa » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 06:50:42

They are identical, when I'm using Outlook with a direct connection to
Exchange Server, not additional identification is done.
My Windows account is connect to Exchange information, by using AD

> If the users Windows 2000 Logon Name is different to their Exchange 2000
> alias, then they need to configure their client to provide their logon
> creditials in the following format:

> w2kdomainname\w2klogonname\e2kalias

> --
> Mark Fugatt
> Pentech Office Solutions Inc
> www.exchangetrainer.com and www.4mcts.com
> Visit www.msexchange.org for practical information on Microsoft Exchange

> --- Please respond to this newsgroup and not directly via Email ---

> > Hi,
> > we are not able to connect to our exchange2000 server via imap4 or pop3.
> > Both protocols are configured.
> > SMTP & MS-OWA works fine from outside and inside lan.
> > imap4 nor pop3 are working inside lan or outside.

> > a telnet to the exchange server on port 143 (imap4) show the right
> reaction
> > of the system.
> > but login fails..
> > anyone an idea ? It's for sure not a firewall issues, because it doesn't
> > work also from inside lan

> > thx

imap4 & pop3 problems

Post by Jeff Johnso » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 00:52:27

> we are not able to connect to our exchange2000 server via imap4 or pop3.
> Both protocols are configured.
> SMTP & MS-OWA works fine from outside and inside lan.
> imap4 nor pop3 are working inside lan or outside.

> a telnet to the exchange server on port 143 (imap4) show the right reaction
> of the system.
> but login fails..
> anyone an idea ? It's for sure not a firewall issues, because it doesn't
> work also from inside lan

I'm having the exact same problem. I read Mark's responses and neither of them applies to me. My Windows (pre-Windows 2000) user ID
and my Exchange alias are both the same (jjohnson). I even made my AD logon "jjohnson." (It was previously blank.) The KB article
was not helpful, because the registry value was set to 0, not 5.

When I TELNET to my server for POP3 I see this:

    user jjohnson
    +OK
    pass <blah blah>
    -ERR The requested mailbox is not available on this server

When I use OE to attempt to access IMAP, I get

    There is no replica for that mailbox on this server.

If I try to refresh my IMAP folder list, I get

Any suggestions? For reference, we migrated Exchange 5.5 mailboxes to this new Exchange 2000 server, if that sends up any red flags
for people.

imap4 & pop3 problems

Post by Jeff Johnso » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 01:33:27

It appears my issue was with IP addresses. I had a host table entry which pointed to the old class C address instead of the new
class A address we have switched to. I removed the entry and restarted OE and everything's fine.

1. imap4 & pop3 problems

Hi,
we are not able to connect to our exchange2000 server via imap4 or pop3.
Both protocols are configured.
SMTP & MS-OWA works fine from outside and inside lan.
imap4 nor pop3 are working inside lan or outside.

a telnet to the exchange server on port 143 (imap4) show the right reaction
of the system.
but login fails..
anyone an idea ? It's for sure not a firewall issues, because it doesn't
work also from inside lan

thx

2. Licence manager and exchange server 5.5

3. POP3 & IMAP4 cannot start

4. Disaster recovery plan

5. Exchange & IMAP4/POP3

6. Lost email

7. IMAP4 & POP3 Clients

8. Post SP3 Q248838engi Hotfix fails to install

9. POP3 & IMAP4 cannot start

10. POP3 & IMAP4

11. IMAP4 & POP3 would not start after installation

12. IMAP4 and POP3 Sending problem

13. POP3 and IMAP4 problem