MS Mail Connector, Lost Connection with MS Mail PO

MS Mail Connector, Lost Connection with MS Mail PO

Post by Steve W » Sun, 24 Jun 2001 17:48:53

I'm using the Exch2K MS Mail connector to begin a migration process.
The MS Mail DB is located in a maildata folder/share on an NT 4
server.  Exch2K is connected in a single domain environment.  The
connector is not able to connect to the maildata share and I get this
error in the event viewer.

source: MS (PC) MTA
category: session
type: warning
EventID: 4149

The MS Mail Connector (PC) MTA was unable to dynamically connect
\\admin\maildata.

Ensure that the path and password to the remote disk resource are
correct.  Re-specify this information in the MS Mail Connector (PC)
MTA property page.

The server is admin and the share name is maildata.  I can connect
just fine by using a net use, but the connector can't connect.  I'm
using the enterprise admin username and password for the POs login
from the connector.

When I go to the MTA tab and tell it to log, the event viewer shows
the connection status to my POs as lost connections.  And the
connection the Exch2K shadow PO is OK.

I've re-installed the MS Mail connector.  Restarted the server,
services, etc.  I had this working in testing, but don't know what's
different in the production environment.

Has anyone encountered this and/or can offer any meaningful place to
start?

Thanks for any suggestions.

MS Mail Connector, Lost Connection with MS Mail PO

Post by Joey Joe Jo » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 02:59:36

I think I've managed to get round something similar before by mapping a
drive rather than using the UNC path.

Quote:> I'm using the Exch2K MS Mail connector to begin a migration process.
> The MS Mail DB is located in a maildata folder/share on an NT 4
> server.  Exch2K is connected in a single domain environment.  The
> connector is not able to connect to the maildata share and I get this
> error in the event viewer.

> source: MS (PC) MTA
> category: session
> type: warning
> EventID: 4149

> The MS Mail Connector (PC) MTA was unable to dynamically connect
> \\admin\maildata.

> Ensure that the path and password to the remote disk resource are
> correct.  Re-specify this information in the MS Mail Connector (PC)
> MTA property page.

> The server is admin and the share name is maildata.  I can connect
> just fine by using a net use, but the connector can't connect.  I'm
> using the enterprise admin username and password for the POs login
> from the connector.

> When I go to the MTA tab and tell it to log, the event viewer shows
> the connection status to my POs as lost connections.  And the
> connection the Exch2K shadow PO is OK.

> I've re-installed the MS Mail connector.  Restarted the server,
> services, etc.  I had this working in testing, but don't know what's
> different in the production environment.

> Has anyone encountered this and/or can offer any meaningful place to
> start?

> Thanks for any suggestions.

MS Mail Connector, Lost Connection with MS Mail PO

Post by Steve W » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 13:04:03

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that too without success.  I
think that field requires a UNC..at least in Exch2K.  Maybe 5.5 was
different.

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 18:59:36 +0100, "Joey Joe Joe"

>I think I've managed to get round something similar before by mapping a
>drive rather than using the UNC path.

>> I'm using the Exch2K MS Mail connector to begin a migration process.
>> The MS Mail DB is located in a maildata folder/share on an NT 4
>> server.  Exch2K is connected in a single domain environment.  The
>> connector is not able to connect to the maildata share and I get this
>> error in the event viewer.

>> source: MS (PC) MTA
>> category: session
>> type: warning
>> EventID: 4149

>> The MS Mail Connector (PC) MTA was unable to dynamically connect
>> \\admin\maildata.

>> Ensure that the path and password to the remote disk resource are
>> correct.  Re-specify this information in the MS Mail Connector (PC)
>> MTA property page.

>> The server is admin and the share name is maildata.  I can connect
>> just fine by using a net use, but the connector can't connect.  I'm
>> using the enterprise admin username and password for the POs login
>> from the connector.

>> When I go to the MTA tab and tell it to log, the event viewer shows
>> the connection status to my POs as lost connections.  And the
>> connection the Exch2K shadow PO is OK.

>> I've re-installed the MS Mail connector.  Restarted the server,
>> services, etc.  I had this working in testing, but don't know what's
>> different in the production environment.

>> Has anyone encountered this and/or can offer any meaningful place to
>> start?

>> Thanks for any suggestions.

MS Mail Connector, Lost Connection with MS Mail PO

Post by Joey Joe Jo » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 01:43:23

Just had this at another customer. Used the Gateway Services for Netware to
connect and then shared out that drive.

Then used this as the UNC.

Bit of a bodge I know but it worked.

> Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that too without success.  I
> think that field requires a UNC..at least in Exch2K.  Maybe 5.5 was
> different.

> On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 18:59:36 +0100, "Joey Joe Joe"

> >I think I've managed to get round something similar before by mapping a
> >drive rather than using the UNC path.

> >> I'm using the Exch2K MS Mail connector to begin a migration process.
> >> The MS Mail DB is located in a maildata folder/share on an NT 4
> >> server.  Exch2K is connected in a single domain environment.  The
> >> connector is not able to connect to the maildata share and I get this
> >> error in the event viewer.

> >> source: MS (PC) MTA
> >> category: session
> >> type: warning
> >> EventID: 4149

> >> The MS Mail Connector (PC) MTA was unable to dynamically connect
> >> \\admin\maildata.

> >> Ensure that the path and password to the remote disk resource are
> >> correct.  Re-specify this information in the MS Mail Connector (PC)
> >> MTA property page.

> >> The server is admin and the share name is maildata.  I can connect
> >> just fine by using a net use, but the connector can't connect.  I'm
> >> using the enterprise admin username and password for the POs login
> >> from the connector.

> >> When I go to the MTA tab and tell it to log, the event viewer shows
> >> the connection status to my POs as lost connections.  And the
> >> connection the Exch2K shadow PO is OK.

> >> I've re-installed the MS Mail connector.  Restarted the server,
> >> services, etc.  I had this working in testing, but don't know what's
> >> different in the production environment.

> >> Has anyone encountered this and/or can offer any meaningful place to
> >> start?

> >> Thanks for any suggestions.

MS Mail Connector, Lost Connection with MS Mail PO

Post by Steve W » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:48:39

I found a solution that worked easier in my case.  It seems that the
MTA service that's created needs to be logged in as a domain admin
user rather than using the local system account.  Once I made that
change in the service, the MTA was routing my MS Mail msgs just fine
between POs.

I'm letting the dirsync run tonight and I should be moving along with
my migration tomorrow.

Thanks for your suggestions though!

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 17:43:23 +0100, "Joey Joe Joe"

>Just had this at another customer. Used the Gateway Services for Netware to
>connect and then shared out that drive.

>Then used this as the UNC.

>Bit of a bodge I know but it worked.

>> Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that too without success.  I
>> think that field requires a UNC..at least in Exch2K.  Maybe 5.5 was
>> different.

>> On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 18:59:36 +0100, "Joey Joe Joe"

>> >I think I've managed to get round something similar before by mapping a
>> >drive rather than using the UNC path.

1. Internet Addressing MS Mail (Multi PO) vs Exchange (Single PO)

Question:  How can we "alias?" Internet Addresses so old MS Mail based
Internet addresses (including the postoffice name) can be known under

We want to eliminate the postoffice as part of the Internet address.

Our current email system consists of 5 Microsoft Mail Postoffices,
including a Microsoft SMTP gateway to the Internet.  It is also a mix
of Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 machines.

For mail to be sent out, or received from the Internet using the MS
Mail we found it necessary to preface the domain name with the
postoffice name.  For example, a user named John Doe under the
"central" postoffice would be addressed as:

We would like the address to be:

We have now installed Microsoft Exchange Server under Windows NT
Server v4.0 with the latest Service Packs for both the NT Server and
Exchange Server.  There are approximately 50 users successfully using
it.

We will be eliminating MS Mail postoffices as we migrate our users to
the Exchange Server, and ending up with a single postoffice under
Exchange.  It is also likely that we'll be running the SMTP gateway
function from the Exchange Server.

Once we figure this out, all new users will be given the shortened
domain name without the postoffice preface.  But, until we get
everyone moved and the name shortened, we will need to allow for the
use of either the address including the postoffice prefacing the

I'm sure I've just missed something but we're just getting started
with Windows NT Server and Microsoft Exchange Server.  The rest of our
network is all Novell Netware v4.1.

Any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in
advance.

Sincerely,

John Ashton

2. Clients cannot send emails w/ & wo/ attachments

3. MS Mail Connector to old PO

4. MS Phone/Operator

5. Error on starting MS Mail Connector MTA servicing several POs

6. thanks but i need a little more help

7. SOS: MS Mail Connector MTA service does not answer the phone call from MS Mail system

8. Exchange 5.5 Evaluation

9. MS Mail Connector Async Connection

10. Exchange 4.0 as SMTP gateway to MS Mail PO

11. Global Address List - MS MAIL PO

12. Export PO list for sending to MS Mail site

13. MS PO Users cannot send SMTP mail via IMC