Outlook XP - Exchange 2000 connectivity through a firewall

Outlook XP - Exchange 2000 connectivity through a firewall

Post by Tim Watt » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:17:07

I am looking for help with Outlook XP - Exchange 2000 connectivity through a
firewall.

We have two networks, Head office and a branch office.

Currently, the branch office has three workstations in a workgroup. H/O has
the exchange server, domain controllers etc. The branch office is running
ADSL with a linksys router, and H/O has multiple ISP lines (T1 & E10) with
Cisco Firewalls. The exchange server & domain controllers are behind the
firewalls.

Here is an article I found before I posted to the newsgroup, but it is for
exchange v4-5.5, not 2000 and an outlook client.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;155831

I am looking for exchange 2000 - outlook 2002 (office XP) connectivity
through a firewall.

If anyone knows the minimum number of ports that I will need to open between
the two sites, that would be much appreciated.

I.e. Do I really need to open the ldap ports. It seems that would need to be
open from the exchange server to the global catalogue or domain controller,
not between the outlook client and the exchange server.

Tim

Outlook XP - Exchange 2000 connectivity through a firewall

Post by Andy David [MVP » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:17:31

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;270836

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:17:07 -0700, "Tim Watts"

>I am looking for help with Outlook XP - Exchange 2000 connectivity through a
>firewall.

>We have two networks, Head office and a branch office.

>Currently, the branch office has three workstations in a workgroup. H/O has
>the exchange server, domain controllers etc. The branch office is running
>ADSL with a linksys router, and H/O has multiple ISP lines (T1 & E10) with
>Cisco Firewalls. The exchange server & domain controllers are behind the
>firewalls.

>Here is an article I found before I posted to the newsgroup, but it is for
>exchange v4-5.5, not 2000 and an outlook client.
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;155831

>I am looking for exchange 2000 - outlook 2002 (office XP) connectivity
>through a firewall.

>If anyone knows the minimum number of ports that I will need to open between
>the two sites, that would be much appreciated.

>I.e. Do I really need to open the ldap ports. It seems that would need to be
>open from the exchange server to the global catalogue or domain controller,
>not between the outlook client and the exchange server.

>Tim

1. Outlook 2000/Exchange 2000 connectivity through a firewall

Hi
I am trying to connect an outlook 2000 client to a Exchange 2000
server over a firewall and am running into a couple roadblocks.  First
of all, i have configured the MSExchangeIS & MSExchangeSA ports to
static (Q270836) , and opened up...
the above configured ports,
135 for RPC,
139 for NetBios
445 (TCP&UDP) for Microsoft DS (Just in case)
113 for Authentication (ident tap) (Just in case)

it pops up the login dialog, but it still will not authenticate.

any ideas?

thanks
--
stoph

2. localization

3. Hot to get the Non-DAV Properties of a Task Item using XML ?

4. Exchange 2000 SP3 Windows XP/Office XP Connectivity Problem

5. OWA shows empty inbox

6. Windows XP - Outlook XP logon error to Exchange 2000 SP2

7. Forms will not display on e-mail to remote users

8. windows XP outlook XP exchange 2000

9. Exchange 2000, Outlook XP on Windows XP hangs

10. Outlook 2000 Client Connectivity to Exchange 2000

11. Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2000 connectivity

12. Rules running on Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2000 and Outlook XP