Blackberry & Exchange

Post by Stexl » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 05:57:09

I use E2k as part of SBS2K (we're photographers & I'm the closest thing
we've got to an admin but I'm a far piece away from being an actual admin).
I uses the POP3 connector to get our e-mail from Earthlink.

My boss just got a blackberry from RIM. I have set up a new Contact in E2k &
all mail that goes to him is copied to his blackberry.net address. That
seems to work fine. He also has things he sends from his blackberry BCC'd to
a new Earthlink account I set up just to receive them -- call it

automatically make it to his Sent Items folder in his regular Exchange
mailbox. How can I do this?

his Exchange mailbox but would this cause it to be sent back to his
blackberry account because of the new Exchange contact thing with the
forwarding? I think so. Now, I set up a new SBS user BlackberryBCC & have
the connector delivery to it. I can open it from his Outlook client & see
the messages. I set up a rule to move new messages from him to his sent
items folder. Will this rule ever run if noone has the BlackberryBCC mailbox
open?

Also, can you have rules on Exchange that run even if there is no client
viewing the folder?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
steve

Blackberry & Exchange

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 10:46:02

Ouch. First - ditch POP.

POP connectors are not recommended practice...liable to cause you lots of
problems down the road. Much better to host your own mail....

See http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_smtp_diatribe.htm

For Exchange 2000, see http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF002.html for
instructions on how to get Exchange to receive Internet mail sent via SMTP,
the way it's meant to do - for Exchange 5.5, see
http://www.exchangeadmin.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=15729

You can do this even with dialup/ISDN (get an ISP who supports ETRN) .

If you have broadband but with a dynamic IP (such as a cable modem/ADSL
account):

You can use a dynamic DNS host such as www.dyndns.org - you set up an
account, such as yourcompany.dnsalias.com, and whomever hosts your public
DNS should set your primary MX record to point to yourcompany.dnsalias.com.
Open up port 25 inbound in your firewall or router, direct all traffic to
your internal IP for the Exchange server.
 You run a service on your server (software available for download from the
dyndns website) and set it up to update dyndns  with your current dynamic
IP.

Second, see if you can at least get the desktop redirector software for the
Blackberry so he can use his Exchange mailbox for his Blackberry.
Forwarding, etc., with a POP account is going to stink - the least of the
problems will be if he sends mail from his Blackberry, it will come from his
POP account, and if people reply, etc...

> I use E2k as part of SBS2K (we're photographers & I'm the closest
> thing we've got to an admin but I'm a far piece away from being an
> actual admin). I uses the POP3 connector to get our e-mail from
> Earthlink.

> My boss just got a blackberry from RIM. I have set up a new Contact
> in E2k & all mail that goes to him is copied to his blackberry.net
> address. That seems to work fine. He also has things he sends from
> his blackberry BCC'd to a new Earthlink account I set up just to

> that arrives at bb to automatically make it to his Sent Items folder
> in his regular Exchange mailbox. How can I do this?

> I can have the Pop connector deliver messages sent to

> be sent back to his blackberry account because of the new Exchange
> contact thing with the forwarding? I think so. Now, I set up a new
> SBS user BlackberryBCC & have the connector delivery to it. I can
> open it from his Outlook client & see the messages. I set up a rule
> to move new messages from him to his sent items folder. Will this
> rule ever run if noone has the BlackberryBCC mailbox open?

> Also, can you have rules on Exchange that run even if there is no
> client viewing the folder?

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> steve

Blackberry & Exchange

Post by Stexl » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 22:02:59

Thanks, I'll read up on hosting my own mail. I've heard this before but
everything seemed to be working ok. I'm not familiar with the Blackberry
stuff so I'll check with the boss man about the redirector.

Thanks again - I may be back...steve

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

Quote:> Ouch. First - ditch POP.

> POP connectors are not recommended practice...liable to cause you lots of
> problems down the road. Much better to host your own mail....

> See http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_smtp_diatribe.htm

> For Exchange 2000, see http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF002.html for
> instructions on how to get Exchange to receive Internet mail sent via
SMTP,
> the way it's meant to do - for Exchange 5.5, see
> http://www.exchangeadmin.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=15729

> You can do this even with dialup/ISDN (get an ISP who supports ETRN) .

> If you have broadband but with a dynamic IP (such as a cable modem/ADSL
> account):

> You can use a dynamic DNS host such as www.dyndns.org - you set up an
> account, such as yourcompany.dnsalias.com, and whomever hosts your public
> DNS should set your primary MX record to point to

yourcompany.dnsalias.com.

> Open up port 25 inbound in your firewall or router, direct all traffic to
> your internal IP for the Exchange server.
>  You run a service on your server (software available for download from
the
> dyndns website) and set it up to update dyndns  with your current dynamic
> IP.

> Second, see if you can at least get the desktop redirector software for
the
> Blackberry so he can use his Exchange mailbox for his Blackberry.
> Forwarding, etc., with a POP account is going to stink - the least of the
> problems will be if he sends mail from his Blackberry, it will come from
his
> POP account, and if people reply, etc...

> > I use E2k as part of SBS2K (we're photographers & I'm the closest
> > thing we've got to an admin but I'm a far piece away from being an
> > actual admin). I uses the POP3 connector to get our e-mail from
> > Earthlink.

> > My boss just got a blackberry from RIM. I have set up a new Contact
> > in E2k & all mail that goes to him is copied to his blackberry.net
> > address. That seems to work fine. He also has things he sends from
> > his blackberry BCC'd to a new Earthlink account I set up just to

> > that arrives at bb to automatically make it to his Sent Items folder
> > in his regular Exchange mailbox. How can I do this?

> > I can have the Pop connector deliver messages sent to

> > be sent back to his blackberry account because of the new Exchange
> > contact thing with the forwarding? I think so. Now, I set up a new
> > SBS user BlackberryBCC & have the connector delivery to it. I can
> > open it from his Outlook client & see the messages. I set up a rule
> > to move new messages from him to his sent items folder. Will this
> > rule ever run if noone has the BlackberryBCC mailbox open?

> > Also, can you have rules on Exchange that run even if there is no
> > client viewing the folder?

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > steve

1. Blackberry wireless & Exchange flow of msgs

we recently acquired several Blackberry 957's
and installed the Enterprise software on Exchange 5.5 -

     I've been reading thru the various docs, white papers, etc
     and still am a little fuzzy on the traffic flow.

     RECEIVING a msg into Exchange - I think this is how it works :)
     email appears on the Exchange Server
     Blackberry Server is watching various BB accounts,
          and notices a new arrival for a "watched" account ?
     Grabs the email - retrieves the PIN - sends via SRP & port 3101
     Msg goes to some "wireless access point" -
     Sends to Blackberry device via PIN address from the wireless
provider.

     ok - now the user replies from the Blackberry handheld -
     So how does this work ?
     Blackberry handheld sends a msg to the wireless access point -
          Since the PIN must be the unique identifier
          does the PIN get stored by the wireless service,
          and "routed" back to our Exchange server ?  ala TCP/IP
routing -
     if so.... again... how & where does the msg get into Exchange ?
          does it come into a single BB "account" -
                which account ? -
          then the BB Server retrieves it, looks for the encoded PIN,
          matches it to an Exchange BB account -
          and finally drops the msg into the OUTBOX of the specific
account ?
          which then causes the msg to be "sent" from that mailbox

     this is the only part I did not see drawn out,
     I could guess - but... it would just be a guess :)

     thanks - Phil -

2. Need Help immediately! Please!

3. Blackberry Redirector & Exchange

4. exchange open smtp relay through x400 address!!!

5. Blackberry wireless & Exchange flow of msgs

6. Accept any domain to the mailbox. Routing? WildCard DNS

7. Creating multiple global address books - How?

8. Blackberry and Exchange 5.5

9. Exchange and BlackBerry

10. Blackberry and Exchange 5.5

11. Exchange, Blackberry, and POP3