Frontend only on Exch2000 enterprise ed?

Frontend only on Exch2000 enterprise ed?

Post by ?rjan Jerijerv » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 23:43:58

After hours of installing W2k server and Exch2k server i tried to set up the
server as a front end server in our DMZ for OWA to our existing Exch2k
standard server. I used a Microsoft whitepaper as instruction to configure
the server. Of course Microsoft didnt mention you had to use Exch2k
enterprise edition to enable this function... Had to find out that another
place.
Is there any walkaround or registry tweaks for this?
Or maybe there are some type of substitute 3rd party software i can use to
let my Outlook clients access the server when people use their laptops on
travels? The main issue is to send and recieve mail to and from the server
with their existing accounts.
Need some helping answers please?

Orjan Jerijervi

Frontend only on Exch2000 enterprise ed?

Post by John Westworth [MS » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 01:14:00

You could try something like ISA server, which will handle Outlook Clients
over the internet.

Or you could set up a VPN Server, which again would allow your clients
access to Exchange.

HTH

--
John Westworth

Join the Community at http://communities2.microsoft.com/home/

http://www.microsoft.com/europe/itforum/
Don't miss this mission-critical Microsoft infrastructure conference
featuring 6 targeted tracks, with 140+ technical break-out sessions and 60+
hands-on labs.

Please do not send email directly to this alias.  This is our online account
name for newsgroup participation only

Quote:> After hours of installing W2k server and Exch2k server i tried to set up
the
> server as a front end server in our DMZ for OWA to our existing Exch2k
> standard server. I used a Microsoft whitepaper as instruction to configure
> the server. Of course Microsoft didnt mention you had to use Exch2k
> enterprise edition to enable this function... Had to find out that another
> place.
> Is there any walkaround or registry tweaks for this?
> Or maybe there are some type of substitute 3rd party software i can use to
> let my Outlook clients access the server when people use their laptops on
> travels? The main issue is to send and recieve mail to and from the server
> with their existing accounts.
> Need some helping answers please?

> Orjan Jerijervi

Frontend only on Exch2000 enterprise ed?

Post by Mark Fugat » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 01:34:49

What white paper did you use?

--
Mark Fugatt
Pentech Office Solutions Inc

Quote:> After hours of installing W2k server and Exch2k server i tried to set up
the
> server as a front end server in our DMZ for OWA to our existing Exch2k
> standard server. I used a Microsoft whitepaper as instruction to configure
> the server. Of course Microsoft didnt mention you had to use Exch2k
> enterprise edition to enable this function... Had to find out that another
> place.
> Is there any walkaround or registry tweaks for this?
> Or maybe there are some type of substitute 3rd party software i can use to
> let my Outlook clients access the server when people use their laptops on
> travels? The main issue is to send and recieve mail to and from the server
> with their existing accounts.
> Need some helping answers please?

> Orjan Jerijervi

Frontend only on Exch2000 enterprise ed?

Post by ?rjan Jerijerv » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 02:17:34

Quote:> What white paper did you use?

> --

Dont remember exactly. Must look when im back at work on Monday.

Orjan

Frontend only on Exch2000 enterprise ed?

Post by ?rjan Jerijerv » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 02:25:33

Quote:> You could try something like ISA server, which will handle Outlook Clients
> over the internet.

> Or you could set up a VPN Server, which again would allow your clients
> access to Exchange.

Will try that.We have actually Checkpoint FW/VPN-1. But the secure remote
client on WinXP and the firewall doesnt work well when the users try to log
in. "This user is not cofigured properly." reports the firewall log. Use
certificates and autentification/key exchange seems to work. This worked
well on Win2k earlier, but we have upgraded all computers since...

Orjan