multiple logon using OWA

Post by davi » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:36:15

System: Exchange 2000, SP3

Setup:  Front end server with OWA accessing backend servers.

Problem:   I have problem that some (not all) of my users when they logon to
OWA, the logon page would pop up several times.  After the user successfully
logs on he sees another logon page, and he can continue logging on several
times.  He can also cancel the second or any successive logon page and he
will still be able to access his email.

This problem does not occur if the user connects to the backend server
directly.  The front end server is only running Exhange 2000, there are no
other services running on it, i.e. AD, ISA, DNS, etc.  To simplify the
trobleshooting, I did my testing on the OWA itself to eliminate compatiblity
issues with firewall/ISA/routers.  This problem also occurs with any PC's
running on the same LAN as the OWA server.

The difficulty in determining this issue is that it does not affect all the
user accounts.  On the same machine used to logon to OWA, I can logon fine
with one account, while another account have this problem.  I have also
duplicated this same problem on multiple machines thinking it's an IE issue.
All machines are running  Windows 2000 professional, Windows 2000 server or
Windows XP with IE6.

multiple logon using OWA

Post by Tony S » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 02:17:09

Although there are a few other possible causes, most often
it is because you are using Windows Authentication and SSL.

A Frontend/Backend configuration does not support Windows
Authentication, you have to configure Basic or Digest
Authentication.

HTH,

Tony Su
Su Network Consulting
Creators of the revolutionary high security Enterprise
foundation for PDAs, mobile phones and other highly mobile
devices.
HIPAA Healthcare, Law Enforcement, Finance.
Espionage resistent.
www.su-networking.com/mobility

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>System: Exchange 2000, SP3

>Setup:  Front end server with OWA accessing backend
servers.

>Problem:   I have problem that some (not all) of my users
when they logon to
>OWA, the logon page would pop up several times.  After

the user successfully
Quote:>logs on he sees another logon page, and he can continue
logging on several
>times.  He can also cancel the second or any successive
logon page and he
>will still be able to access his email.

>This problem does not occur if the user connects to the
backend server
>directly.  The front end server is only running Exhange
2000, there are no
>other services running on it, i.e. AD, ISA, DNS, etc.  To
simplify the
>trobleshooting, I did my testing on the OWA itself to

eliminate compatiblity
Quote:>issues with firewall/ISA/routers.  This problem also

occurs with any PC's
Quote:>running on the same LAN as the OWA server.

>The difficulty in determining this issue is that it does
not affect all the
>user accounts.  On the same machine used to logon to OWA,
I can logon fine
>with one account, while another account have this

problem.  I have also
Quote:>duplicated this same problem on multiple machines

thinking it's an IE issue.
Quote:>All machines are running  Windows 2000 professional,

Windows 2000 server or
Quote:>Windows XP with IE6.

>.

1. Logon to OWA using user's logon credentials

Hi
We want to give secure access to our Intranet and OWA server to some of our
staff who are based at client sites.  The idea is that there will be an
'Employee area' link from our public website to the Intranet web server
homepage - that homepage will then have a link to OWA.  I want users to be
prompted for logon name, password and domain when they first hit the
'Employee area' link so they are authenticated onto the Intranet, but then
not to have to enter anything more to get into OWA (other than click the
link).  All our users have an Exchange alias identical to their NT login
name, which should simplify things.
We have a single server that runs both the Intranet and OWA (but not
Exchange iteslf).  There is a Verisign certificate installed on it, and our
firewall is configured so it will only allow https (SSL) on port 443 from
the outside world through to that server.
NB We are using Exchange 5.5,  NT4 & IIS4
The Intranet site has the following directory security set to NT Challenge
Response only
The Exchange (OWA) site has directory security set to Basic (clear text)
only.
I don't want to change either of these - anonymous access seems like a BAD
idea for a site that is available from the outside world.

At present, when you try to connect to https://intranet.mycompany.com, you
have to supply username, password, domain.
Then when you click https://intranet.mycompany.com/exchange, you are again
asked for logon name and password (you have to enter domain\username); then
the OWA logon comes up asking for alias, and then you have to supply
password (it does at least remember domain\username).

Does anybody have any experience or suggestions?

2. Cannot Navigate Back to Previous Web Page using back button

3. OWA logon error. Cannot open OWA logon webpage

4. OWA access Problem when exchange is behind Firewall

5. Exchange 2000 OWA - Multiple logon requests

6. Deleting Internet Newsgroups from Exchange

7. exch2k, OWA, IE: multiple logon dialog, NS works, mostly

8. OWA+SP2:it doesn't manage to create a MAPI session !

9. OWA, Multiple Logon, then Loading - Intermittent?!

10. OWA multiple logon

11. OWA and Logon with multiple SMTP Domains

12. OWA custom logon - multiple location cookies

13. OWA multiple logon