Will this work??? A wan forest

Post by ned » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:33:21

Hi there,
Can someone verify if I can create a forest across a wan? I just want to
provide shared public folders at each branch office that are replicated
across a forest consisting of different domain trees. The setup I propose
is.... 3 different fqdn trees picking up and sending there own mail but
sharing specific replicated folders across our wan links.
What do you think? Will this work across 128k leased lines?
Thank you for any help,
Ned

Will this work??? A wan forest

Post by Guybrush Threepwoo » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 21:33:27

sure you can! you the logical structure of the directory is independent of
the physical structure. you need to define "SITES" in your root domain.

Quote:> Hi there,
> Can someone verify if I can create a forest across a wan? I just want to
> provide shared public folders at each branch office that are replicated
> across a forest consisting of different domain trees. The setup I propose
> is.... 3 different fqdn trees picking up and sending there own mail but
> sharing specific replicated folders across our wan links.
> What do you think? Will this work across 128k leased lines?
> Thank you for any help,
> Ned

1. Exchange 2K - 5.5 WAN, Multiple Forests and Domains

I would appreciate any suggestions on the following which seems to be giving
me more problems than it should.

My client has two different forests, domains of abc.com (EX2K) in US
(Parent) which gets email directly and abc.nl (EX5.5) in Europe (subsidiary)
which gets its email from an ISP currently, respectively. Both locations use
Outlook with MAPI connections to their respective servers. I do not have the
approval currently to upgrade abc.nl to EX2K and make it either a child
domain or another domain in the abc.com forest which would make my life so
much easier since here is the problem.
abc.com wants to have all email go through its exchange server and than get
routed through to the abc.nl server, with all abc.nl users to have abc.com
as their primary smtp email address and abc.nl as their secondary. That is
the part that has me stuck. I know how to set up the US server to host
multiple domains so I would set up mailboxes there with the abc.com and
abc.nl addresses in them but then what do i do about the european site? Or
is there some other way I would accomplish this, the main goals I have to
meet are that the european site does not have to do any reinstalling or
upgrading of software and require their EX server to remain in use (for
backup purposes) and that both locations have abc.com as their primary SMTP
addresses. I have spent looking through MSFT site and all the exchange books
i have and exchange sites I know of but none og the situations seem to apply
totally to this situation, again any help would be appreciative.

Thank you in advance,

- Chris

2. Still Logging when logging set to "none"

3. Relay from WAN with authentication won't work

4. Restoring database Help!!

5. What doesnt work? Multi forest

6. MAIL DELIVERY FAILURE

7. ADC not Working as Expected in a Second Domain of the Forest

8. Help! Can't restart Exchange!

9. Exchange 2000 Resource Forest and multiple User Forest / NT4 Dom?nen (Exchange Mixed Mode)

10. Diff forest or same forest ???

11. E2K in different forest that W2K account forests

12. Exchange 2000 Resource Forest and multiple User Forest / NT4 Dom?nen (Exchange Mixed Mode)