Problem: Incoming mails do not display immediately in Outlook

Problem: Incoming mails do not display immediately in Outlook

Post by Xavier J. Lescalie » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 02:25:44

Hi,

I have a problem with my Exchange 2000 Server.

Messages don't display immediately in Outlook XP. Internal mails or mails
from outside.

They will display in the Inbox only if you click on an other folder or
message (then you suddenly here the beep of an incoming message and a figure
is displayed beside the Inbox).

We do not use PST files, no OST or other things like that. Strange thing,
even F9 or F5 won't help! You have to click on "another place" in Outlook to
trigger the display of an incoming message.

I first thought that Symantec Antivirus for Exchange 2000 3.0 was the cause
of this strange behavior, but I de-installed the antivirus software
(scary!), rebooted the server, even restarted the MTA on the Exchange 5.5
that is still active on another machine, and still the problem remained.

I have no idea what causes this problem, but it is certainly a serious
problem for most users, who, if they don't go and check manually, may figure
out only much later that there is some urgent mail in their Inbox!

Message may display "by themselves" sometimes after 20-40 minutes.

Any idea what can be wrong? The server is a US version of Exchange 2000 SP3
on Windows 2000 Server SP3.

Regards,

Xavier Lescalier.

Problem: Incoming mails do not display immediately in Outlook

Post by Patrick Reed [MVP - Outlook » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 04:06:07

This can happen when UDP packets (the mailbox refresh notifications) from
the Exchange Server are not getting to the clients. You'll have to check
your LAN traffic to figure out why UDP is no longer traversing properly.

If you check out this article, you can apply some registry settings to force
Outlook to poll the server using RPC rather than having it wait for the
server to send it UDP packets.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305572

I believe the June 21st update for Outlook 2002 was the first to include the
patched DLLs the article references.

--
PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~
  -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)

Quote:> Hi,

> I have a problem with my Exchange 2000 Server.

> Messages don't display immediately in Outlook XP. Internal mails or mails
> from outside.

> They will display in the Inbox only if you click on an other folder or
> message (then you suddenly here the beep of an incoming message and a
> figure
> is displayed beside the Inbox).

> We do not use PST files, no OST or other things like that. Strange thing,
> even F9 or F5 won't help! You have to click on "another place" in Outlook
> trigger the display of an incoming message.

> I first thought that Symantec Antivirus for Exchange 2000 3.0 was the
> cause
> of this strange behavior, but I de-installed the antivirus software
> (scary!), rebooted the server, even restarted the MTA on the Exchange 5.5
> that is still active on another machine, and still the problem remained.

> I have no idea what causes this problem, but it is certainly a serious
> problem for most users, who, if they don't go and check manually, may
> figure
> out only much later that there is some urgent mail in their Inbox!

> Message may display "by themselves" sometimes after 20-40 minutes.

> Any idea what can be wrong? The server is a US version of Exchange 2000
> SP3
> on Windows 2000 Server SP3.

> Regards,

> Xavier Lescalier.

Problem: Incoming mails do not display immediately in Outlook

Post by Patrick Reed [MVP - Outlook » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 04:55:14

It's possible, but I thought UDP travels over TCP only - I coul;d be
wrong...you may want to check the routing tables.

--
> [...]

> > > (scary!), rebooted the server, even restarted the MTA on the Exchange
> 5.5
> > > that is still active on another machine, and still the problem
> > > remained.

> > > I have no idea what causes this problem, but it is certainly a serious
> > > problem for most users, who, if they don't go and check manually, may
> > > figure
> > > out only much later that there is some urgent mail in their Inbox!

> > > Message may display "by themselves" sometimes after 20-40 minutes.

> > > Any idea what can be wrong? The server is a US version of Exchange
> > > 2000
> > > SP3
> > > on Windows 2000 Server SP3.

> > > Regards,

> > > Xavier Lescalier.

Problem: Incoming mails do not display immediately in Outlook

Post by Jeff Stephenson [MS » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 04:54:45

The problem is that the UDP packets that Exchange uses to notify Outlook of
changes on the server are not getting through to Outlook.  Do you have the
ISA proxy server on your network?  If so, a few people have had success
with rebuilding either the Local Domain Table (LDT) or Local Address Table
(LAT) and then refreshing the ISA client on the affected machines.  A
firewall or some other program might also be responsible for blocking those
UDP packets.  Otherwise, you can tell Outlook to poll for new mail (rather
than wait for notifications) by using the registry changes documented in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q305572.

--
Jeff Stephenson
Outlook Development

Quote:> Hi,

Post by Xavier J. Lescalie » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 04:48:17

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for your reply.

I hope I don't have to modify the registry on all my clients...

The strange thing is the the 2 first months the server was in production,
there was no problem. It happened "suddenly".

I have Office XP SP2 on my machines and the problem still occurs.

A detail, the Exchange server has 2 NICs, 1 connected to the LAN, the other
one to the Firewall. Do you think it is possible that the server may send a
notification to the wrong net?

> This can happen when UDP packets (the mailbox refresh notifications) from
> the Exchange Server are not getting to the clients. You'll have to check
> your LAN traffic to figure out why UDP is no longer traversing properly.

> If you check out this article, you can apply some registry settings to
force
> Outlook to poll the server using RPC rather than having it wait for the
> server to send it UDP packets.

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305572

> I believe the June 21st update for Outlook 2002 was the first to include
the
> patched DLLs the article references.

> --
> PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~
>   -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
>   -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com?

> > Hi,

> > I have a problem with my Exchange 2000 Server.

> > Messages don't display immediately in Outlook XP. Internal mails or
mails
> > from outside.

> > They will display in the Inbox only if you click on an other folder or
> > message (then you suddenly here the beep of an incoming message and a
> > figure
> > is displayed beside the Inbox).

> > We do not use PST files, no OST or other things like that. Strange
thing,
> > even F9 or F5 won't help! You have to click on "another place" in
Outlook
> > trigger the display of an incoming message.

> > I first thought that Symantec Antivirus for Exchange 2000 3.0 was the
> > cause
> > of this strange behavior, but I de-installed the antivirus software
> > (scary!), rebooted the server, even restarted the MTA on the Exchange
5.5
> > that is still active on another machine, and still the problem remained.

> > I have no idea what causes this problem, but it is certainly a serious
> > problem for most users, who, if they don't go and check manually, may
> > figure
> > out only much later that there is some urgent mail in their Inbox!

> > Message may display "by themselves" sometimes after 20-40 minutes.

> > Any idea what can be wrong? The server is a US version of Exchange 2000
> > SP3
> > on Windows 2000 Server SP3.

> > Regards,

> > Xavier Lescalier.

Problem: Incoming mails do not display immediately in Outlook

Post by Jeff Stephenson [MS » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 05:08:59

No, UDP travels over IP but without the delivery acknowledgements of TCP -
you just throw it out there and it either makes it to its destination or it
doesn't, but you'll never know...

Xavier, did you perhaps install Windows XP SP-1 on the affected clients
about the time this started happening?  There seems to be a correlation (I'm
not sure yet how strong) with SP-1 and this problem.

--
Jeff Stephenson
Outlook Development

> It's possible, but I thought UDP travels over TCP only - I coul;d be
> wrong...you may want to check the routing tables.

> --
> PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~
>   -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
>   -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com?

> > Hi Patrick,

> > Thank you for your reply.

> > I hope I don't have to modify the registry on all my clients...

> > The strange thing is the the 2 first months the server was in
production,
> > there was no problem. It happened "suddenly".

> > I have Office XP SP2 on my machines and the problem still occurs.

> > A detail, the Exchange server has 2 NICs, 1 connected to the LAN, the
> > other
> > one to the Firewall. Do you think it is possible that the server may
send
> > notification to the wrong net?

> > > This can happen when UDP packets (the mailbox refresh notifications)
> > > from
> > > the Exchange Server are not getting to the clients. You'll have to
check
> > > your LAN traffic to figure out why UDP is no longer traversing
properly.

> > > If you check out this article, you can apply some registry settings to
> > force
> > > Outlook to poll the server using RPC rather than having it wait for
the
> > > server to send it UDP packets.

> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305572

> > > I believe the June 21st update for Outlook 2002 was the first to
include
> > the
> > > patched DLLs the article references.

> > > --
> > > PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~
> > >   -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
> > >   -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com?

message

> > mails

> > thing,
> > Outlook

Exchange
> > 5.5

Problem: Incoming mails do not display immediately in Outlook

Post by Xavier J. Lescalie » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 07:23:45

I can't believe that suddenly 65 clients would have the exact same problem.
I would suspect that the problem is on the server side.

I don't know really in what direction I should go regarding your suggestion
to inspect the UDP thing.

I re-applied Windows 2000 SP3 and Exchnge 2000 SP3, and of course... that
did not help!

This is a very annoying problem.

> This can happen when UDP packets (the mailbox refresh notifications) from
> the Exchange Server are not getting to the clients. You'll have to check
> your LAN traffic to figure out why UDP is no longer traversing properly.

> If you check out this article, you can apply some registry settings to
force
> Outlook to poll the server using RPC rather than having it wait for the
> server to send it UDP packets.

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305572

> I believe the June 21st update for Outlook 2002 was the first to include
the
> patched DLLs the article references.

> --
> PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~
>   -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
>   -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com?

> > Hi,

> > I have a problem with my Exchange 2000 Server.

> > Messages don't display immediately in Outlook XP. Internal mails or
mails
> > from outside.

> > They will display in the Inbox only if you click on an other folder or
> > message (then you suddenly here the beep of an incoming message and a
> > figure
> > is displayed beside the Inbox).

> > We do not use PST files, no OST or other things like that. Strange
thing,
> > even F9 or F5 won't help! You have to click on "another place" in
Outlook
> > trigger the display of an incoming message.

> > I first thought that Symantec Antivirus for Exchange 2000 3.0 was the
> > cause
> > of this strange behavior, but I de-installed the antivirus software
> > (scary!), rebooted the server, even restarted the MTA on the Exchange
5.5
> > that is still active on another machine, and still the problem remained.

> > I have no idea what causes this problem, but it is certainly a serious
> > problem for most users, who, if they don't go and check manually, may
> > figure
> > out only much later that there is some urgent mail in their Inbox!

> > Message may display "by themselves" sometimes after 20-40 minutes.

> > Any idea what can be wrong? The server is a US version of Exchange 2000
> > SP3
> > on Windows 2000 Server SP3.

> > Regards,

> > Xavier Lescalier.

Problem: Incoming mails do not display immediately in Outlook

Post by Jeff Stephenson [MS » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 02:15:31

Your problem is likely to be somewhere in your network - some change has
probably started blocking the UDP packets.  Do you run the ISA proxy server?
Some people who have encountered this problem have fixed it by rebuilding
either the LDT (local domain table) or LAT (local address table) and then
updating the ISA clients on the workstations.

--
Jeff Stephenson
Outlook Development

> [...]

> > > (scary!), rebooted the server, even restarted the MTA on the Exchange
> 5.5
> > > that is still active on another machine, and still the problem
remained.

> > > I have no idea what causes this problem, but it is certainly a serious
> > > problem for most users, who, if they don't go and check manually, may
> > > figure
> > > out only much later that there is some urgent mail in their Inbox!

> > > Message may display "by themselves" sometimes after 20-40 minutes.

> > > Any idea what can be wrong? The server is a US version of Exchange
2000
> > > SP3
> > > on Windows 2000 Server SP3.

> > > Regards,

> > > Xavier Lescalier.

Problem: Incoming mails do not display immediately in Outlook

Post by Xavier J. Lescalie » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 01:19:29

No ISA, but a good old Proxy. The Proxy, however is not between the Exchange
Server and the clients.

Also, to add to this mystery, it has been working fine for more than 2
months. Until something happened... but what?

How can I verify and correct this UDP situation?

> Your problem is likely to be somewhere in your network - some change has
> probably started blocking the UDP packets.  Do you run the ISA proxy
server?
> Some people who have encountered this problem have fixed it by rebuilding
> either the LDT (local domain table) or LAT (local address table) and then
> updating the ISA clients on the workstations.

> --
> Jeff Stephenson
> Outlook Development

> > I can't believe that suddenly 65 clients would have the exact same
> problem.
> > I would suspect that the problem is on the server side.

> > I don't know really in what direction I should go regarding your
> suggestion
> > to inspect the UDP thing.

> > I re-applied Windows 2000 SP3 and Exchnge 2000 SP3, and of course...
that
> > did not help!

> > This is a very annoying problem.

> > > This can happen when UDP packets (the mailbox refresh notifications)
> from
> > > the Exchange Server are not getting to the clients. You'll have to
check
> > > your LAN traffic to figure out why UDP is no longer traversing
properly.

> > > If you check out this article, you can apply some registry settings to
> > force
> > > Outlook to poll the server using RPC rather than having it wait for
the
> > > server to send it UDP packets.

> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305572

> > > I believe the June 21st update for Outlook 2002 was the first to
include
> > the
> > > patched DLLs the article references.

> > > --
> > > PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~
> > >   -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
> > >   -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com?

message

> > mails

> > thing,
> > Outlook

Exchange
> > 5.5
> remained.

> 2000

Problem: Incoming mails do not display immediately in Outlook

Post by Jeff Stephenson [MS » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 02:31:45

I'm afraid I know next to nothing about network troubleshooting.  If you
can't figure out what changed on your network, your only option is likely to
be making the registry changes that Patrick pointed you to...

--
Jeff Stephenson
Outlook Development

> No ISA, but a good old Proxy. The Proxy, however is not between the
Exchange
> Server and the clients.

> Also, to add to this mystery, it has been working fine for more than 2
> months. Until something happened... but what?

> How can I verify and correct this UDP situation?

> > Your problem is likely to be somewhere in your network - some change has
> > probably started blocking the UDP packets.  Do you run the ISA proxy
> server?
> > Some people who have encountered this problem have fixed it by
rebuilding
> > either the LDT (local domain table) or LAT (local address table) and
then
> > updating the ISA clients on the workstations.

> > --
> > Jeff Stephenson
> > Outlook Development
rights

> > > I can't believe that suddenly 65 clients would have the exact same
> > problem.
> > > I would suspect that the problem is on the server side.

> > > I don't know really in what direction I should go regarding your
> > suggestion
> > > to inspect the UDP thing.

> > > I re-applied Windows 2000 SP3 and Exchnge 2000 SP3, and of course...
> that
> > > did not help!

> > > This is a very annoying problem.

message

> > from
> check
> properly.

> > > force
> the

> include
> > > the

> message

> > > mails

> or

> > > thing,
> > > Outlook

> the
> Exchange
> > > 5.5
> > remained.

> serious
> may

> > 2000

1. Problem: Incoming mails do not display immediately in Outlook

[...]

2. MAPISaveMail function

3. Printing Forms

4. Mail rejection incoming mail immediately rejected

5. URGENT - ADDRESS BOOK ISSUE

6. Outlook client not receiving mails immediately

7. From Unix to Exchange

8. Help: New incoming mail does not display in the Inbox

9. Mail not arriving immediately to inbox

10. SMTP incoming address not displayed during forwarding

11. New e-mails not immediately showing up in Inbox