Remote Exchange Server / Outlook Client

Post by Frank Carius [MVP » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 07:32:23

Think about using a VPN.

Use you client with PPTP or IPSEC to connect to a RAS-Server at your office
network.
Than you can act like "in the office"
So use Outlook and offline folders.

Its not a good idea to open the exchange ports to the internet.

--
Frank Carius  MS Exchange MVP-Exchange
http://www.NetatWork.de , Riemeke Str 160, 33106 Paderborn

Quote:> Hi,

> I wish to use Outlook as a client to an Exchange Server and connect to it
> through the internet. Furthur I wish to access the public folders at the
> exchange server. Also I want to be able to download the items in the
public
> folder so that I may be able to access them when not connected to the
> internet.. Is it possible. if so how can it be done.

> Please let me know..
> regards,
> Mudit

Remote Exchange Server / Outlook Client

Post by Sean Dave » Sun, 17 Dec 2000 05:37:23

Is there any way to speed up VPN connectivity?  I connect to my ISP,
tunneling at 53,200 bps, connecting to our LAN which has an outbound T1.  It
seems like the connection is extremely slow -- it takes sometimes 3 - 5 min
for Outlook to open.

> Think about using a VPN.

> Use you client with PPTP or IPSEC to connect to a RAS-Server at your
office
> network.
> Than you can act like "in the office"
> So use Outlook and offline folders.

> Its not a good idea to open the exchange ports to the internet.

> --
> Frank Carius  MS Exchange MVP-Exchange
> http://www.NetatWork.de , Riemeke Str 160, 33106 Paderborn
> Tel +495251 304 600, Fax +495251 304 650
> no advertising or spam mails PLEASE!!
> Franks Exchange FAQ auf http://www.msexchangefaq.de
> --

> > Hi,

> > I wish to use Outlook as a client to an Exchange Server and connect to
it
> > through the internet. Furthur I wish to access the public folders at the
> > exchange server. Also I want to be able to download the items in the
> public
> > folder so that I may be able to access them when not connected to the
> > internet.. Is it possible. if so how can it be done.

> > Please let me know..
> > regards,
> > Mudit

Remote Exchange Server / Outlook Client

Post by Ed Woodric » Sun, 17 Dec 2000 23:11:44

Sounds like name resolution problems

> Is there any way to speed up VPN connectivity?  I connect to my ISP,
> tunneling at 53,200 bps, connecting to our LAN which has an outbound T1.
It
> seems like the connection is extremely slow -- it takes sometimes 3 - 5
min
> for Outlook to open.

> > Think about using a VPN.

> > Use you client with PPTP or IPSEC to connect to a RAS-Server at your
> office
> > network.
> > Than you can act like "in the office"
> > So use Outlook and offline folders.

> > Its not a good idea to open the exchange ports to the internet.

> > --
> > Frank Carius  MS Exchange MVP-Exchange
> > http://www.NetatWork.de , Riemeke Str 160, 33106 Paderborn
> > Tel +495251 304 600, Fax +495251 304 650
> > no advertising or spam mails PLEASE!!
> > Franks Exchange FAQ auf http://www.msexchangefaq.de
> > --

> > > Hi,

> > > I wish to use Outlook as a client to an Exchange Server and connect to
> it
> > > through the internet. Furthur I wish to access the public folders at
the
> > > exchange server. Also I want to be able to download the items in the
> > public
> > > folder so that I may be able to access them when not connected to the
> > > internet.. Is it possible. if so how can it be done.

> > > Please let me know..
> > > regards,
> > > Mudit

Remote Exchange Server / Outlook Client

Post by Frank Carius [MVP » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 04:43:27

Al Ed already said.

Name resolution:
Check DNS Setup.
can the Exchange Server be resolved with your current DNS Setup.
Try to add the Server and IP to the HOSTS-File.
Check the RPC-Binding Order of Outlook.

--
Frank Carius  MS Exchange MVP-Exchange
http://www.NetatWork.de , Riemeke Str 160, 33106 Paderborn
Tel +495251 304 600, Fax +495251 304 650
no advertising or spam mails PLEASE!!
Franks Exchange FAQ auf http://www.msexchangefaq.de
--

> Is there any way to speed up VPN connectivity?  I connect to my ISP,
> tunneling at 53,200 bps, connecting to our LAN which has an outbound T1.
It
> seems like the connection is extremely slow -- it takes sometimes 3 - 5
min
> for Outlook to open.

> > Think about using a VPN.

> > Use you client with PPTP or IPSEC to connect to a RAS-Server at your
> office
> > network.
> > Than you can act like "in the office"
> > So use Outlook and offline folders.

> > Its not a good idea to open the exchange ports to the internet.

> > --
> > Frank Carius  MS Exchange MVP-Exchange
> > http://www.NetatWork.de , Riemeke Str 160, 33106 Paderborn
> > Tel +495251 304 600, Fax +495251 304 650
> > no advertising or spam mails PLEASE!!
> > Franks Exchange FAQ auf http://www.msexchangefaq.de
> > --

> > > Hi,

> > > I wish to use Outlook as a client to an Exchange Server and connect to
> it
> > > through the internet. Furthur I wish to access the public folders at
the
> > > exchange server. Also I want to be able to download the items in the
> > public
> > > folder so that I may be able to access them when not connected to the
> > > internet.. Is it possible. if so how can it be done.

> > > Please let me know..
> > > regards,
> > > Mudit

Remote Exchange Server / Outlook Client

Post by Ed Woodric » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:58:39

You will not catch me saying the last two!
Hosts files = Bad!
RPC binding changes = not necessary!

As long as DNS is working host files and RPC changes are not necessary.