Unable to connect to Exchange 2000

Post by AJ » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 06:24:07

Please help. My exchange server which is installed on a Windows 2000 Server
PDC is working just fine. It is able to receive and send mail without
problem. However, when I try to connect to Exchange from a Windows XP Pro
client running Outlook 2002 on the LAN, I am unable to open an Exchange mail
account. The server times out and says that Exchange Server is not
available. I am able to ping the Server by name and IP over the LAN.

One interesting thing that happens when I try to ping the Server by name is,
it returns with the IP of my broadband connection and not the LAN. Could
this be the problem? TIA.

AJ

Unable to connect to Exchange 2000

Post by Mark Fugat » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 06:31:42

Sounds like you have a DNS issues, check what IP address is configured in
your internal DNS for the host name of your Exchange server.

--
Mark Fugatt
Pentech Office Solutions Inc

Quote:> Please help. My exchange server which is installed on a Windows 2000
Server
> PDC is working just fine. It is able to receive and send mail without
> problem. However, when I try to connect to Exchange from a Windows XP Pro
> client running Outlook 2002 on the LAN, I am unable to open an Exchange
mail
> account. The server times out and says that Exchange Server is not
> available. I am able to ping the Server by name and IP over the LAN.

> One interesting thing that happens when I try to ping the Server by name
is,
> it returns with the IP of my broadband connection and not the LAN. Could
> this be the problem? TIA.

> AJ

Unable to connect to Exchange 2000

Post by AJ » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 06:57:54

DNS is installed and is correctly configured for the local domain and LAN
IP, although I don't quite understand why you would even need DNS.
Thanks.

AJ

> Sounds like you have a DNS issues, check what IP address is configured in
> your internal DNS for the host name of your Exchange server.

> --
> Mark Fugatt
> Pentech Office Solutions Inc
> www.exchangetrainer.com and www.4mcts.com
> Visit www.msexchange.org for practical information on Microsoft Exchange

> --- Please respond to this newsgroup and not directly via Email ---

> > Please help. My exchange server which is installed on a Windows 2000
> Server
> > PDC is working just fine. It is able to receive and send mail without
> > problem. However, when I try to connect to Exchange from a Windows XP
Pro
> > client running Outlook 2002 on the LAN, I am unable to open an Exchange
> mail
> > account. The server times out and says that Exchange Server is not
> > available. I am able to ping the Server by name and IP over the LAN.

> > One interesting thing that happens when I try to ping the Server by name
> is,
> > it returns with the IP of my broadband connection and not the LAN. Could
> > this be the problem? TIA.

> > AJ

Unable to connect to Exchange 2000

Post by Mark Fugat » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 07:14:17

How else do you expect the client to resolve the name?

So why do you think it is resolving the host name to the IP address of your
broadband connection?

--
Mark Fugatt

> DNS is installed and is correctly configured for the local domain and LAN
> IP, although I don't quite understand why you would even need DNS.
> Thanks.

> AJ

> > Sounds like you have a DNS issues, check what IP address is configured
in
> > your internal DNS for the host name of your Exchange server.

> > --
> > Mark Fugatt
> > Pentech Office Solutions Inc
> > www.exchangetrainer.com and www.4mcts.com
> > Visit www.msexchange.org for practical information on Microsoft Exchange

> > --- Please respond to this newsgroup and not directly via Email ---

> > > Please help. My exchange server which is installed on a Windows 2000
> > Server
> > > PDC is working just fine. It is able to receive and send mail without
> > > problem. However, when I try to connect to Exchange from a Windows XP
> Pro
> > > client running Outlook 2002 on the LAN, I am unable to open an
Exchange
> > mail
> > > account. The server times out and says that Exchange Server is not
> > > available. I am able to ping the Server by name and IP over the LAN.

> > > One interesting thing that happens when I try to ping the Server by
name
> > is,
> > > it returns with the IP of my broadband connection and not the LAN.
Could
> > > this be the problem? TIA.

> > > AJ

Unable to connect to Exchange 2000

Post by AJ » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 08:53:27

I can see my exchange server under Entire Network and so I thought my client
does not need DNS. Also, I have WINS installed. Anyway DNS is installed and
working correctly I think. I have Norton Antivirus corporate edition
installed on the exchange server. Could that be creating a problem? Thanks
for your help.

AJ

> How else do you expect the client to resolve the name?

> So why do you think it is resolving the host name to the IP address of
your
> broadband connection?

> --
> Mark Fugatt

> > DNS is installed and is correctly configured for the local domain and
LAN
> > IP, although I don't quite understand why you would even need DNS.
> > Thanks.

> > AJ

> > > Sounds like you have a DNS issues, check what IP address is configured
> in
> > > your internal DNS for the host name of your Exchange server.

> > > --
> > > Mark Fugatt
> > > Pentech Office Solutions Inc
> > > www.exchangetrainer.com and www.4mcts.com
> > > Visit www.msexchange.org for practical information on Microsoft
Exchange

> > > --- Please respond to this newsgroup and not directly via Email ---

> > > Server
XP
> > Pro
> Exchange
> > > mail

> name
> > > is,
> Could

1. Outlook2000 is unable to connect to Exchange 2000

Hello,
A week back, we have successfully migrated from Exchange
5.5 to Exchange 2000 (Windows 2000 SP2)using the same
server name and IP as it was with Exchange 5.5. Every
thing is working fine, all previously configured outlook
2000 are connecting to the exchange server without any
problem. The problem is that when I install new Outlook
2000 on any client and try to connect to Exchange server,
it gives me an error "The name could not be resolved. The
operation failed". All previously configured outlook 2000
clients are working fine but if on working Outlook
clients, if you retype the server name or IP of exchange
and click on Check Name, it will give the same error.
I have tried to remove and reinstall TCP/IP. Also I can
ping to the server with name and IP and also access the
shares, so name resolution issue.
Any clue?

2. Post SP3 rollup success?

3. OL 2000 client unable to connect to Exchange

4. Global Address List

5. Unable to connect exchange 2000 server with outlook

6. help

7. Outlook 2000 to Exchange 5.5 with SP3 - unable to connect

8. Hey, Amiri !

9. Unable to connect to Exchange Server using Outlook 2000 and NT 4

10. HELP:Unable to connect Outlook 2000 to Exchange

11. OWA Exchange 2000 IIS - Unable to connect

12. VB6: Unable to connect to Exchange via RAS but able to connect via network

13. Outlook 2000 Client Unable to Connect