SMTP Routing from ISA to Exchange!

Post by kmd442 » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 21:40:12

I am having a problem sending and receiving email, it does
not work.  I am using ISA to route SMTP traffic to my
internal exchange server, and my exchange server is
configured with an SMTP connector and Virtual Server.  I
used Secure Mail wizard in the ISA server to point towards
the internal address of my exchange server and it also
points to the external card of my ISA server.  I cannot
send or receive mail.

Can someone who has setup this scenerio, provide assistance
 in this matter.  It would be greatly appreciated.

SMTP Routing from ISA to Exchange!

Post by Ebony Smit » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 22:38:03

Try to telnet to the IP interfaces on port 25 to see if you can even make a
connection.

Quote:> I am having a problem sending and receiving email, it does
> not work.  I am using ISA to route SMTP traffic to my
> internal exchange server, and my exchange server is
> configured with an SMTP connector and Virtual Server.  I
> used Secure Mail wizard in the ISA server to point towards
> the internal address of my exchange server and it also
> points to the external card of my ISA server.  I cannot
> send or receive mail.

> Can someone who has setup this scenerio, provide assistance
>  in this matter.  It would be greatly appreciated.

SMTP Routing from ISA to Exchange!

Post by kmd442 » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 03:04:33

How would one accomplish this?? I am very new at this.
> [...]

Post by kmd442 » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 03:44:43

OK.  I can send mail out successfully but I cannot receive
any email.  Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I am having a problem sending and receiving email, it does
>not work.  I am using ISA to route SMTP traffic to my
>internal exchange server, and my exchange server is
>configured with an SMTP connector and Virtual Server.  I
>used Secure Mail wizard in the ISA server to point towards
>the internal address of my exchange server and it also
>points to the external card of my ISA server.  I cannot
>send or receive mail.

>Can someone who has setup this scenerio, provide
assistance
> in this matter.  It would be greatly appreciated.

>.

SMTP Routing from ISA to Exchange!

Post by Gary Coope » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 05:38:16

follow the instructions in Q153119.

> How would one accomplish this?? I am very new at this.

1. just something to ponder (isa/e2k/routing things)

I have a nice little setup with ISA and hte mail wizard setup...

single ip bound to ext nic on isa that routes mail/web/etc inside to a single server running mail/web/blah blah

what i did was this, i built a backup server to mirror the first one, the idea is that i want to eventually move all services to this machine and NOT do this with any type of synchronization...  i want a totally pristine setup, not another DC that has crap from my old AD domain that is actuing a little strange at time...

this new server is runninng exhcange 2000 as of this weekend and seems to handle recieving mail just fine thorugh the second ip i bound to the isa server and after running hte mail wizard to setup the services...  also setup a dest set for the OWA and that works fine (is not on myh other server and this was one reason for the change)

I can recieve mail just fine to both servers...

xxx.xxx.xxx.193 isa sends to 192.168.0.2  (old server)
xxx.xxx.xxx.194 isa sends to 192.168.0.3  (new and improved server)

the issue comes when i want to send a mail from the new server to the old one...  i HAVE to have a smtp connector in place to route to my mail domains on the old server or the messages sit in the queue for ever...   one would WANT to do this to keep traffic from being routed externally through the firewall and back in if the namespace stays internal and never needs to be sent to an external server....

i just can't figure out WHY it won't work as is...  ???

its a strange one...  but the smtp connectors built between the two services helps routing mail, that much is for sure..  and i guess i asked for this by not putting the new server in the same AD domain or Exchange Org to have all that setup at birth/install...

just had to rant and this was a good place to start...  lots of people eager to throw ideas out there... and also posting to the e2k group...

2. Autoresponse??

3. Problem with Exchange 2000 on ISA and inbound / Outbound SMTP transfers

4. Latest version of ExMerge

5. intra Office Mail stuck in infinite routing loop between MTA and SMTP-Routing Engine

6. SMTP Access

7. SMTP: Re-routing SMTP mail

8. "unable to update public free/busy"

9. smtp inbound routing to other smtp domains

10. EventID 17220: Unknown SMTP command generated by ISA

11. Problems with my SMTP connector through ISA

12. ISA Client & SMTP have war

13. SMTP not sending with ISA