Long Delays in Connecting and Opening Mails with Outlook/Exchange Server 2000

Long Delays in Connecting and Opening Mails with Outlook/Exchange Server 2000

Post by Amogh Josh » Sun, 18 Aug 2002 06:09:28

Hi All!

I have Exchange 2000 server installed on a Microsoft Windows 2000 Server (P4
with 512 MB RAM). We have around 50 Windows 2000/XP clients who access the
Exchange Server through Microsoft Outlook. On most of the clients, Outlook
is working fine but on few of them, It takes very long (~1 minute) to open
Outlook. It keeps showing the message:

Outllook is retreiving data from Microyour settings .......

After the delay, whenever a mail is double clicked to open/ or when preview
pane is on, it takes 20-30 seconds to open the mail. Also, when I do send
and receive for the first time, the same message dialog appears once again
for 1 minute. I have tried my best to resolve the issue but could not get
any success. I even installed Outlook 2002 service pack 1 but of no use. Any
help will be highly appreciated.

Amogh

Long Delays in Connecting and Opening Mails with Outlook/Exchange Server 2000

Post by Beoweol » Sun, 18 Aug 2002 14:04:28

Just from your symptoms, This doesn't sound like a AD issue. It appears to
be either Exchange configuration or some kind of DNS problem. You might do
better posting in either of those groups.

Quote:> Hi All!

> I have Exchange 2000 server installed on a Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
(P4
> with 512 MB RAM). We have around 50 Windows 2000/XP clients who access the
> Exchange Server through Microsoft Outlook. On most of the clients, Outlook
> is working fine but on few of them, It takes very long (~1 minute) to open
> Outlook. It keeps showing the message:

> Outllook is retreiving data from Microyour settings .......

> After the delay, whenever a mail is double clicked to open/ or when
preview
> pane is on, it takes 20-30 seconds to open the mail. Also, when I do send
> and receive for the first time, the same message dialog appears once again
> for 1 minute. I have tried my best to resolve the issue but could not get
> any success. I even installed Outlook 2002 service pack 1 but of no use.
Any
> help will be highly appreciated.

> Amogh

Long Delays in Connecting and Opening Mails with Outlook/Exchange Server 2000

Post by Scott Lef » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 06:33:11

If you ever figure out what's causing this, I'd be interested to hear it.  I
have the same problem here with some of my users, it's driving them crazy
and there's nothing I can do to help them :-(

Quote:> Hi All!

> I have Exchange 2000 server installed on a Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
(P4
> with 512 MB RAM). We have around 50 Windows 2000/XP clients who access the
> Exchange Server through Microsoft Outlook. On most of the clients, Outlook
> is working fine but on few of them, It takes very long (~1 minute) to open
> Outlook. It keeps showing the message:

> Outllook is retreiving data from Microyour settings .......

> After the delay, whenever a mail is double clicked to open/ or when
preview
> pane is on, it takes 20-30 seconds to open the mail. Also, when I do send
> and receive for the first time, the same message dialog appears once again
> for 1 minute. I have tried my best to resolve the issue but could not get
> any success. I even installed Outlook 2002 service pack 1 but of no use.
Any
> help will be highly appreciated.

> Amogh

Long Delays in Connecting and Opening Mails with Outlook/Exchange Server 2000

Post by Greg Katse » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:31:54

We had the same problem.  In our case, it was searching for a public folder
replica.  On a machine that is having problems, run a "Netstat" to see if
it's connecting (or trying to connect) to a server you weren't expecting.
We eventually solved our problem by using ADSI edit to remove the bad public
folder replicas.

-M

> If you ever figure out what's causing this, I'd be interested to hear it.
> have the same problem here with some of my users, it's driving them crazy
> and there's nothing I can do to help them :-(

> > Hi All!

> > I have Exchange 2000 server installed on a Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
> (P4
> > with 512 MB RAM). We have around 50 Windows 2000/XP clients who access
the
> > Exchange Server through Microsoft Outlook. On most of the clients,
Outlook
> > is working fine but on few of them, It takes very long (~1 minute) to
open
> > Outlook. It keeps showing the message:

> > Outllook is retreiving data from Microyour settings .......

> > After the delay, whenever a mail is double clicked to open/ or when
> preview
> > pane is on, it takes 20-30 seconds to open the mail. Also, when I do
send
> > and receive for the first time, the same message dialog appears once
again
> > for 1 minute. I have tried my best to resolve the issue but could not
get
> > any success. I even installed Outlook 2002 service pack 1 but of no use.
> Any
> > help will be highly appreciated.

> > Amogh

Long Delays in Connecting and Opening Mails with Outlook/Exchange Server 2000

Post by Scott Lef » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:58:24

Hmmmm, I don't think that would do much good here, as we've only got 1
server.

> We had the same problem.  In our case, it was searching for a public
folder
> replica.  On a machine that is having problems, run a "Netstat" to see if
> it's connecting (or trying to connect) to a server you weren't expecting.
> We eventually solved our problem by using ADSI edit to remove the bad
public
> folder replicas.

> -M

> > If you ever figure out what's causing this, I'd be interested to hear
it.
> > have the same problem here with some of my users, it's driving them
crazy
> > and there's nothing I can do to help them :-(

> > > Hi All!

> > > I have Exchange 2000 server installed on a Microsoft Windows 2000
Server
> > (P4
> > > with 512 MB RAM). We have around 50 Windows 2000/XP clients who access
> the
> > > Exchange Server through Microsoft Outlook. On most of the clients,
> Outlook
> > > is working fine but on few of them, It takes very long (~1 minute) to
> open
> > > Outlook. It keeps showing the message:

> > > Outllook is retreiving data from Microyour settings .......

> > > After the delay, whenever a mail is double clicked to open/ or when
> > preview
> > > pane is on, it takes 20-30 seconds to open the mail. Also, when I do
> send
> > > and receive for the first time, the same message dialog appears once
> again
> > > for 1 minute. I have tried my best to resolve the issue but could not
> get
> > > any success. I even installed Outlook 2002 service pack 1 but of no
use.
> > Any
> > > help will be highly appreciated.

> > > Amogh

Long Delays in Connecting and Opening Mails with Outlook/Exchange Server 2000

Post by news » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 00:21:42

Make sure your DNS is working well.  Also try WINS

> If you ever figure out what's causing this, I'd be interested to hear it.
> have the same problem here with some of my users, it's driving them crazy
> and there's nothing I can do to help them :-(

> > Hi All!

> > I have Exchange 2000 server installed on a Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
> (P4
> > with 512 MB RAM). We have around 50 Windows 2000/XP clients who access
the
> > Exchange Server through Microsoft Outlook. On most of the clients,
Outlook
> > is working fine but on few of them, It takes very long (~1 minute) to
open
> > Outlook. It keeps showing the message:

> > Outllook is retreiving data from Microyour settings .......

> > After the delay, whenever a mail is double clicked to open/ or when
> preview
> > pane is on, it takes 20-30 seconds to open the mail. Also, when I do
send
> > and receive for the first time, the same message dialog appears once
again
> > for 1 minute. I have tried my best to resolve the issue but could not
get
> > any success. I even installed Outlook 2002 service pack 1 but of no use.
> Any
> > help will be highly appreciated.

> > Amogh

Long Delays in Connecting and Opening Mails with Outlook/Exchange Server 2000

Post by Scott Lef » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 23:41:03

DNS is fine, and we don't use WINS.

> Make sure your DNS is working well.  Also try WINS

> > If you ever figure out what's causing this, I'd be interested to hear
it.
> > have the same problem here with some of my users, it's driving them
crazy
> > and there's nothing I can do to help them :-(

> > > Hi All!

> > > I have Exchange 2000 server installed on a Microsoft Windows 2000
Server
> > (P4
> > > with 512 MB RAM). We have around 50 Windows 2000/XP clients who access
> the
> > > Exchange Server through Microsoft Outlook. On most of the clients,
> Outlook
> > > is working fine but on few of them, It takes very long (~1 minute) to
> open
> > > Outlook. It keeps showing the message:

> > > Outllook is retreiving data from Microyour settings .......

> > > After the delay, whenever a mail is double clicked to open/ or when
> > preview
> > > pane is on, it takes 20-30 seconds to open the mail. Also, when I do
> send
> > > and receive for the first time, the same message dialog appears once
> again
> > > for 1 minute. I have tried my best to resolve the issue but could not
> get
> > > any success. I even installed Outlook 2002 service pack 1 but of no
use.
> > Any
> > > help will be highly appreciated.

> > > Amogh

Long Delays in Connecting and Opening Mails with Outlook/Exchange Server 2000

Post by J Knowle » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 23:42:07

I would check to find what similarities there are between the machines that
show this.
Are they all windows XP as there is a fix in XP SP1 that solves a similar
thing with explorer.
Also check subnets and routing if any is correct.

> Make sure your DNS is working well.  Also try WINS

> > If you ever figure out what's causing this, I'd be interested to hear
it.
> > have the same problem here with some of my users, it's driving them
crazy
> > and there's nothing I can do to help them :-(

> > > Hi All!

> > > I have Exchange 2000 server installed on a Microsoft Windows 2000
Server
> > (P4
> > > with 512 MB RAM). We have around 50 Windows 2000/XP clients who access
> the
> > > Exchange Server through Microsoft Outlook. On most of the clients,
> Outlook
> > > is working fine but on few of them, It takes very long (~1 minute) to
> open
> > > Outlook. It keeps showing the message:

> > > Outllook is retreiving data from Microyour settings .......

> > > After the delay, whenever a mail is double clicked to open/ or when
> > preview
> > > pane is on, it takes 20-30 seconds to open the mail. Also, when I do
> send
> > > and receive for the first time, the same message dialog appears once
> again
> > > for 1 minute. I have tried my best to resolve the issue but could not
> get
> > > any success. I even installed Outlook 2002 service pack 1 but of no
use.
> > Any
> > > help will be highly appreciated.

> > > Amogh

1. Long Delays in Connecting and Opening Mails with Outlook/Exchange Server 2000

[...]

2. Change Password

3. Public Folder Permissions

4. Notes Connector Issue

5. Temporary profile with multiple mailboxes (CDO)

6. Outlook takes a long time to connect to Exchange 2000 server

7. Abnormally long delays connecting to Exchange 5 server

8. Long delay when opening outlook 97

9. Long delay for Outlook connect when Primary Windows NT Account changed

10. Mail Delay - Exchange 2000/Outlook 2000