Outlook - Read messages

Post by Ispro » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 03:33:03

I have an inbox with all messages READ but the folder
indicates that there is one UNREAD message.  This is not
the case.  How can this be fixed?

  Thanks in advance!

ISPROF

Outlook - Read messages

Post by Grace Xiao [MSF » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 12:26:12

Hi Isprof,

Thanks for your post.

Based on my research, the messages marked as Private are not visible in the
Inbox of a secondary mailbox. Although the unread message counter for the
Inbox indicates that you have new, unread mail. For more detailed
information on this issue, we can refer to the following KB article on it.

198597 OL2000: (CW) Messages Marked Private Not Visible in Secondary
Mailboxes
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=198597

Therefore, I wonder if the problematical Inbox belongs to a secondary
mailbox you opened in your Outlook. If this is not the case, please send a
new email to yourself and check if you can see the test message as an
unread message in the Inbox folder.

Please let me know if this solves the problem or if you would like further
assistance.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Grace Xiao  MCSE
Online Support Professional

from your issue.

--------------------

>Subject: Outlook - Read messages
>Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:33:03 -0700

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.clients

>I have an inbox with all messages READ but the folder
>indicates that there is one UNREAD message.  This is not
>the case.  How can this be fixed?

>  Thanks in advance!

>ISPROF

Outlook - Read messages

Post by Don Tan [MSFT » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 04:37:56

Isprof,

Try the following steps as well.

Follow these steps so we could find out what's causing Outlook to behave
like that.

Step 1

The problem could be do to a log file that Outlook creates that has become
damaged.  These files can be renamed, and Outlook will re-create them as
needed - so I will walk you through those steps here:

1)      From the Start menu, point to Find and choose "Files or Folders".

2)      Search for each of the following files:  (When found - rename them to
old - I'll list the new and renamed version below)

NOTE:  Ensure that you are searching C:\ or D:\  (Search each) and that
include Subfolders is checked.

FILE                    RENAMED FILE

OFFITMES.LOG    OFFITEMS.OLD
OUTITEMS.LOG    OUTITEMS.OLD
VIEWS.DAT               VIEWS.OLD
EXTEND.DAT              EXTEND.OLD
OUTCMD.DAT              OUTCMD.OLD
FRMCACHE.DAT    FRMCACHE.OLD
OUTLPRNT                OUTLPRNT.OLD

Rename all of these files and then try to start Outlook.  If you don't find
any of these files OR if it doesn't help, move to the next step.

STEP 2

It could be that there is a problem with your Email Profile... the Email
Profile for your computer tells Outlook what type of mail service you have,
as well as where your Personal Address Book and Personal Folders storage
resides.  To test profiles, we need to create a new profile and set that to
be the default profile for Outlook.

1) From the Start menu, point to Settings and choose "Control Panel"

2) Double click on the "Mail" or "Mail and Fax" icon (you'll have one or
the other)

3) This should bring up the "Services" dialog.  In this dialog you will see
a list of services.  Write theses services down.

4) Double-click on EACH service, and look at the properties for each one.
Write this information down:
 EXAMPLE:  Double-click on your Internet Email Service.  This brings up the
properties window
                        On the General Tab, write down your Name,
Organization, and email addresses.
                        On the Servers Tab, write down your SMTP and POP3
servers.
                        (These can be case-sensitive so write them down
exactly as they appear in the dialog box
                        On the Connection tab record the choices you have
made here.
                        On the Advanced Tab, record all information in this
dialog box.

5) From the Services Dialog, click on the "Show Profiles" button.

6) Click on the "Add" button to create a new profile.  Choose to "Manually
Configure information services"

This will prompt you to give the profile a name - give it a unique profile
name like - "Johns Profile"

7) This will bring up a "Blank" services dialog.  Then using the notes you
just created, add all of the information services back in, using all of the
settings you wrote down earlier.  Click Finish when done.

8) In the General Dialog - You'll see a drop down that reads:
     "When Starting Microsoft Windows Messaging, use this" Choose "Johns
Profile" and hit Close.

Start Outlook and let's see if that fixed it.

Step 3

We need to test to ensure that your Personal Folders File is working
properly. We want to run the "Inbox Repair Tool" on your Personal Folders
File to ensure that there is no damage or corruption in this file.

1)      From the Start menu, point to Settings and choose "Control Panel".

2)      Double click on the "Mail" or "Mail and Fax" icon (you'll have one or
the other)

3)      This should bring up the "Services" dialog.  In this dialog you will see
a list of services.

4)      Find your "Personal Folders" service, and double-click that service to
bring up its properties window.

5)      Write down that path and filename for this PST file.   Then close the
services dialog and close Control Panel.

6)      From the Start menu, point to Programs, then Point to Accessories, and
then point to System Tools.  On this submenu, choose to run the "Inbox
Repair Tool".

NOTE:  If you do not see it there, then from the Start menu, choose "Run"
and type in the following Command line WITH QUOTES -   "C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Office\SCANPST.EXE".

7)      When you run this program it will ask you to find your PST file, using
the browse button, browse to the location and file that you recorded in
step 5.

After this is complete, run Outlook.  Does it work properly?  If not move
to the next step.

Step 4

We might have some installed add-ins that is conflicting with Outlook. To
disable the add-ins do the following:

1)      Open Microsoft Outlook.

2)      Go to Tools then Options.

3)      Click on the OTHER tab then "Advance Options".

4)      Click on ADD-IN MANAGER and uncheck all the add-ins what you have
available then click OK.

5)      Click on COMM ADD-INNS, also uncheck everything if any is available.

6)      Click OK 4 times.

Step 5:

You might have damaged views or free/busy folder  in Outlook.

1) Close Microsoft Outlook.

2) Go to Start and Run and type "outlook.exe /cleanviews" (Without
quotation marks)

NOTE: /cleanviews is a switch that you can run when starting Outlook to
clean out your view settings. This will delete all your customized view
settings and views cache.

Repeat the process again but this time use /cleanfreebusy

Thank you and have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Don Tan, MCSE/MCSA
Microsoft Online Support Professional

--------------------

| Subject: Outlook - Read messages
| Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:33:03 -0700

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.clients
|
| I have an inbox with all messages READ but the folder
| indicates that there is one UNREAD message.  This is not
| the case.  How can this be fixed?
|
|   Thanks in advance!
|
| ISPROF

1. Outlook read messages marked unread

A handful of my users will open, read and exit a message but it will still
appear in bold type as unread and also include it in the number of unread
messages next to the inbox folder.  Has anyone seen this before?
Microsoft's solution was to recreate the mailbox, which is the last thing I
want to do especially if this continues.  The only recent change made to the
server was when I enabled the Deleted Items Retention option yesterday but
these errors started occurring 4 or 5 days prior to this.

2. "isinteg -test -pri mailbox" output

3. Help!!!Read messages disapears after reading in Outlook 2000

4. external email

5. Read messages reported as not read

6. microsoft fax

7. Reading message information in Outlook

8. Outbound message-id corrupt

9. Can you use Exchange 4.5/Outlook to read Notes 4.0 Mail Message Store

10. Icons for read messages not changing - Outlook 98 / Exch 5.5sp2

11. Outlook 2000 messages automatically marked as read.

12. Cant read messages with Outlook 97 and 98

13. Can you use Exchange 4.5/Outlook to read Notes 4.0 Mail Message Store