Outlook as a Newsreader

Post by Alison McLaughli » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Is it possible for an Outlook client (not Outlook Express) to be used as a
newsgroup reader. If so, how do we set it up,

Thanks
Alison

Outlook as a Newsreader

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Is it possible for an Outlook client (not Outlook Express) to be used as a
>newsgroup reader. If so, how do we set it up,

Not really. Especially if you want to use it to connect to port 119 as
a regular news reader would.

If the newsgroups are on an Exchange server the OL MAPI client can see
the hierarchy as a set of public folders.

Richard Matheisen                             Wang Global
Microsoft Certified System Engineer           Tewksbury, MA

Outlook as a Newsreader

Post by Greg Top » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Definitely not possible, as outlook doesnt have a built in newsreader.If you
look, outlook also does install Outlook express because thats the
newsreader.  At least 98 does..Im not sure if 97 installs that by default.
Anyway, OE is a very nice newsreader, but it definitely is a shame its not
integrated with OL...

Outlook as a Newsreader

Post by Rob Stevenso » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Is it possible for an Outlook client (not Outlook Express) to be used as a
>newsgroup reader. If so, how do we set it up,

>Thanks
>Alison

I would say that it is possible because both outlook express and MS
outlook are options in IE 4.0 for the default newsreader but I have
always used express for news and haven't look into it yet.

HTH

1. Outlook 98 as newsreader w/ exchnage server 5.5

I have Exchange 5.5 confiqured as a pull newsreader and see all the feeds
from my upstream news server, and I "accept them", they show up under
Outlook98 -> public folders->Internet newsgroups-> and i see the newsgroup
folders but no items to show. I have owner rights and everything. What I'm I
doing wrong? Does Outlook98 support this?
Thanks,
Lance

2. Help???? Multipole STMP addresses on server

3. Outlook not default newsreader

4. Can CDO write directly to "sent items" folder?

5. Outlook as a newsreader

6. Now what?

7. Using Outlook as a Newsreader

8. Sending email from alternate domain

9. Outlook Express as a Newsreader maybe

10. Outlook Newsreader and Deja.com

11. How to read news using outlook newsreader

12. Outlook as newsreader

13. Outlook 2000 Newsreader?