Exchange Client... SLOW Startup

Post by Leland Berkwi » Tue, 13 May 1997 04:00:00

I recently installed the Win95 Exchange client on two Pentium computers.  One system
comes up instantaneously.  The other takes 15 minutes to come up.
After searching the MSKB I was able to reference an article (Q136516) which
describes this problem as attributable to the "RPC binding order."

The problem is attributed to the MS Exchange client stepping through all of
the protocols until it has established communication with the server.  This
takes a considerable amount of time and the search proceeds according to the
"RPC binding order."  Supposedly, this delay would not occur if the first
protocol happened to be the protocol in use by the server.  The proposed
solution to the problem assumes that the MS Exchange Client setup (which
resides on the server) is specifying the protocols in the wrong order at
the time of installation.  The proposed solution is to edit the Setup on
the Exchange server to "modify the RPC protocols."

I find it hard to believe that this is a problem in the setup because
it is only occuring on one client... and all of the clients have been
installed from the same copy of setup that resides on the Exhange 4.0 server.  The
client machine is an HP XM4 Pentium/Pro 200 with an on-the-motherboard
10BaseT PCI ethernet interface.  All other network interactions occur at normal
speed and once the Exchange Client starts up there it runs at normal speed.
It seems as if there should be a way to get into some .INI file or .CFG
file to edit the RPC binding order.  Most other clients on the network do not have
the integrated PCI ethernet interface, but have an ISA 3COM 3c509B card.

Any thoughts, suggestions, workarounds or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Exchange Client... SLOW Startup

Post by Matt Anthon » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00

You need to make sure that your EXCHANGE server has a DNS entry.  If
your client has TCP/IP loaded, then it will be used as the default
transport.  It also uses DNS to find the server (don't ask me why...).
It won't use WINS or broadcast until after the DNS search fails.  Also,
if your client is improperly configured vis-a-vis the DNS settings, this
will create the problem you describe.  Finally, if nothing else will
work, you can create a HOSTS file in the Win95 directory (usually
c:\windows).  There should be a sample file already in that directory
called HOSTS.SAM which can be edited and renamed HOSTS.  This file is
used to resolve host IP addresses before a DNS search is done, so you
can bypass the problem.

1. Slow Exchange Client startup

I'm running a small network that I just upgraded to Win2k AD (mixed
mode).  I have Exch5.5 sp4 running on a Win2k member server with sp2.
Ever since I upgraded the PDC to a Win2k DC my Outlook2000 response
times for starting up have gone down the tubes.  In the worst
scenarios it's taking over a minute for Outlook to start, show mailbox
information and then allow the user to have control of the inbox.
That is once it starts up, it displays the mailbox contents then
essentially freezes for about a minute then returns controll to the
user and everything works fine for the rest of the day.

I know that DNS, DHCP etc. are working fine through testing other
network applications, network browsing etc.  Wondering what is causing
this problem.  The only information I have on the server side is after
the nightly defrag of the IS I'm getting a 1221 event id saying I have
1MB of free space.  Is that enough or should it be higher to allow
easier in/out flow of messages without having to constantly resize the
IS.  Also, Where is the scheduler for the nightly defrag?  Is it
necessary to run it every night when I only have 30 mailboxes and an
IS under 3GB?

Thanks for any input here.

Cheers,
Chris

2. Help!! My Exchange server cannot access Directory services anymore

3. Slow startup of Microsoft Exchange client

4. Exchange Server Scripting Object

5. Exchange Client Slow Startup

6. Messanger Client unable to login

7. Exchange client DNS problem - Slow startup

8. E2K Installation - from JKT

9. Slow startup of Outlook 2002 clients

10. Outlook clients startup slow

11. Internet Outage Causing Slow Client Startup

12. Slow client startup.

13. Slow startup of 5.0 client and RPC Binding Order