VPN Client slows down

Post by Jim Matthew » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:57:29

I have been accessing my E2K server viaq a VPN and MAPI connection for a few
months. After connecting to the VPN, I would start Outlook 2002 (on Windows
XP Pro) and after 30 seconds or so, everything would appear.

Now, all of a sudden, when I start Outlook it hangs and eventual;ly I get
the "server is unavailable" message.

If I keep clciking "Retry" it will eventually come up, but takes about 15
minutes.

I can Ping the server and connect via a Terminal Services client, with no
problems.

If I delete the proffile and ree-enter it, ujsing the IP address, after a
few minutes it will resolve to the servername

To my knowledge. I have made no changes which may effect this\

Any ideas ?

TIA

JM

VPN Client slows down

Post by William Lefkovics [MVP » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 15:19:10

Can you ping the FQDN of the mail server?  Is this a VPN appliance or
Windows VPN or ??

William

Quote:> I have been accessing my E2K server viaq a VPN and MAPI connection for a
few
> months. After connecting to the VPN, I would start Outlook 2002 (on
Windows
> XP Pro) and after 30 seconds or so, everything would appear.

> Now, all of a sudden, when I start Outlook it hangs and eventual;ly I get
> the "server is unavailable" message.

> If I keep clciking "Retry" it will eventually come up, but takes about 15
> minutes.

> I can Ping the server and connect via a Terminal Services client, with no
> problems.

> If I delete the proffile and ree-enter it, ujsing the IP address, after a
> few minutes it will resolve to the servername

> To my knowledge. I have made no changes which may effect this\

> Any ideas ?

> TIA

> JM

VPN Client slows down

Post by Jim Matthew » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 21:02:04

Yes - I can ping it and it is a Windows 2000 PPTP VPN, through an ISA Server

> Can you ping the FQDN of the mail server?  Is this a VPN appliance or
> Windows VPN or ??

> William

> > I have been accessing my E2K server viaq a VPN and MAPI connection for a
> few
> > months. After connecting to the VPN, I would start Outlook 2002 (on
> Windows
> > XP Pro) and after 30 seconds or so, everything would appear.

> > Now, all of a sudden, when I start Outlook it hangs and eventual;ly I
get
> > the "server is unavailable" message.

> > If I keep clciking "Retry" it will eventually come up, but takes about
15
> > minutes.

> > I can Ping the server and connect via a Terminal Services client, with
no
> > problems.

> > If I delete the proffile and ree-enter it, ujsing the IP address, after
> > few minutes it will resolve to the servername

> > To my knowledge. I have made no changes which may effect this\

> > Any ideas ?

> > TIA

> > JM

VPN Client slows down

Post by menard 24262 » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 07:36:10

what i've noticed is that if your vpn connection is less than optimal ( i
have cable and this even happens to me sometimes ) that exchange will
"time-out", or if our vpn is down, and i dial in, i can never use outlook.
in situations such as these, i use OWA

mike

Quote:> I have been accessing my E2K server viaq a VPN and MAPI connection for a
few
> months. After connecting to the VPN, I would start Outlook 2002 (on
Windows
> XP Pro) and after 30 seconds or so, everything would appear.

> Now, all of a sudden, when I start Outlook it hangs and eventual;ly I get
> the "server is unavailable" message.

> If I keep clciking "Retry" it will eventually come up, but takes about 15
> minutes.

> I can Ping the server and connect via a Terminal Services client, with no
> problems.

> If I delete the proffile and ree-enter it, ujsing the IP address, after a
> few minutes it will resolve to the servername

> To my knowledge. I have made no changes which may effect this\

> Any ideas ?

> TIA

> JM

VPN Client slows down

Post by Jeff Ren » Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:32:04

Try to create an entry for your exchange server in your hosts and lmhosts
file.. This may speed things up a bit.

I use a cable modem to access my exchange server through a Sonicwall VPN.
It is pretty quick, however if my neighbors are downloading music from Kazaa
or * from whereever, I am basically screwed...

> what i've noticed is that if your vpn connection is less than optimal ( i
> have cable and this even happens to me sometimes ) that exchange will
> "time-out", or if our vpn is down, and i dial in, i can never use outlook.
> in situations such as these, i use OWA

> mike

> > I have been accessing my E2K server viaq a VPN and MAPI connection for a
> few
> > months. After connecting to the VPN, I would start Outlook 2002 (on
> Windows
> > XP Pro) and after 30 seconds or so, everything would appear.

> > Now, all of a sudden, when I start Outlook it hangs and eventual;ly I
get
> > the "server is unavailable" message.

> > If I keep clciking "Retry" it will eventually come up, but takes about
15
> > minutes.

> > I can Ping the server and connect via a Terminal Services client, with
no
> > problems.

> > If I delete the proffile and ree-enter it, ujsing the IP address, after
> > few minutes it will resolve to the servername

> > To my knowledge. I have made no changes which may effect this\

> > Any ideas ?

> > TIA

> > JM

1. VPN Client slows down

I have been accessing my E2K server viaq a VPN and MAPI connection for a few
months. After connecting to the VPN, I would start Outlook 2002 (on Windows
XP Pro) and after 30 seconds or so, everything would appear.

Now, all of a sudden, when I start Outlook it hangs and eventual;ly I get
the "server is unavailable" message.

If I keep clciking "Retry" it will eventually come up, but takes about 15
minutes.

I can Ping the server and connect via a Terminal Services client, with no
problems.

If I delete the proffile and ree-enter it, ujsing the IP address, after a
few minutes it will resolve to the servername

To my knowledge. I have made no changes which may effect this\

Any ideas ?

TIA

JM

2. Enabling multiple mailboxes

3. Event Logs

4. Exchange client is SLOW when Internet connection is down

5. OWA Virtual Directory Name

6. Client slows down

7. Transend Import ulitlity

8. Exchange 5.x Client slowing other SPX apps down

9. when exchange goes down it takes down all client machines with it

10. exchange thru vpn slow

11. OWA VPN Really SLOW!! Exchange 2000

12. slow sync over vpn