folder size doesn't add up

Post by Dave Smit » Thu, 01 May 2003 11:07:29

Anyone ever see this one - Outlook 2000 SR-1, Corporate config, on Exchange
2000 platform.  Exchange System Manager has mailbox size at 145MB, as does
the folder size button in Outlook.  But there is obviously not 145MB of data
in the mailbox.  When you add the total sizes of the folders, it's about
30MB.  Is there a fix for this?

folder size doesn't add up

Post by Scott Fellman [MSFT » Thu, 01 May 2003 12:29:01

Dave,

We have Exchange fixes and Outlook fixes for the folder sizing issues. I
recommend getting the following:

SP3 for Office 2000
SP4 for Exchange 5.5
SP3 for Exchange 2000

and finally some good reading:

196986 OL2000: (CW) How to Determine Your Mailbox Size on the Exchange
Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=196986

--
Scott Fellman
Microsoft

Quote:> Anyone ever see this one - Outlook 2000 SR-1, Corporate config, on
Exchange
> 2000 platform.  Exchange System Manager has mailbox size at 145MB, as does
> the folder size button in Outlook.  But there is obviously not 145MB of
data
> in the mailbox.  When you add the total sizes of the folders, it's about
> 30MB.  Is there a fix for this?

folder size doesn't add up

Post by Scott Fellman [MSFT » Tue, 06 May 2003 04:55:38

Dave,

Typically the size in the ESM is correct. Dump the mailbox contents to a PST
to see if it's 30 or 140 megs.
--
Scott Fellman
Microsoft

Quote:> Anyone ever see this one - Outlook 2000 SR-1, Corporate config, on
Exchange
> 2000 platform.  Exchange System Manager has mailbox size at 145MB, as does
> the folder size button in Outlook.  But there is obviously not 145MB of
data
> in the mailbox.  When you add the total sizes of the folders, it's about
> 30MB.  Is there a fix for this?

1. IS size too big, doesn't correlated to real mail size

We where having backup problems(namely, tape full) that last week didn't
existed!.
after a research, i've found that the sum of the mailboxes gives something
like 2GB, but the IS is occupying 4.8GB!!(2.8GB STM, 2GB mdb).
Is there any way to "resync" or "compact" the IS?

if this is of any use:
We're not AV scanning the folder, there are no tombstoned
mailboxes(everything is exactly the same as it was before), nor an abnormal
rise in email use(not even a raise), the log files are cleared accordingly.

PS: i've activated that mail gets sended both in html and plain text, but
that was about a motnh ago, do you think that's the problem?

any helps is greatly appreciated

2. exch2k drive space/performance Q?

3. Adding user doesn't add mailbox in Information Store

4. transfer exchange site to another server

5. Open Add'l Mailboxes Doesn't

6. Problems with Outlook98/Exchange 5.5 calender

7. Message size doesn't change after removing attachments

8. Mail Loop

9. Mail box sizes doesn't seem right in exchange admin

10. Information Store Doesn't reduce in size

11. Mailbox size doesn't match outlook

12. PST file size doesn't change

13. Exchange 5.0 message size limits doesn't work