HELP: PERSONAL , OUTLOOK FOLDER and ADDRESSBOOK QUESTIONS

HELP: PERSONAL , OUTLOOK FOLDER and ADDRESSBOOK QUESTIONS

Post by Nader W. Hind » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I just started using outlook 97 for my contacts and email and I have managed
to import my messages and my contacts however I am having problems importing
my email address book which is currently in many formats (excel, comma
seperated, outlook express bood (which managed to import it directly from my
Eudora)

anyway, my main question is I still don't know what the difference between

Internet Email
Outlook Address Book
Personal Address Book
Personal Folders

which one should I configure to have outlook 97 do my contacts and email?

thank you.

HELP: PERSONAL , OUTLOOK FOLDER and ADDRESSBOOK QUESTIONS

Post by Ben M. Schorr [MVP - Outlook » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Internet E-mail is the service that lets you connect to a POP3 Server to
send and receive your Internet E-mail.

Outlook Address Book is something of a combo book made up of all of the
Contacts folders that you tell it to use.

Personal Address Book is the simple mail address book that is often found in
e-mail software.

Personal Folders is the main information store that is located on your C:
drive.  It contains the data from all of the Outlook folders including:
Contacts, Calendar, Inbox, Tasks, etc.

My personal preference is to use the Contacts Folder as much as possible for
my e-mail addresses.  I do have a few addresses in the Personal Address Book
but those are mostly addresses for mailing lists that I participate in.

Aloha,

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, CNA [MVP - Outlook]

Post by Mark McCullag » Sun, 08 Feb 1998 04:00:00

anyway, my main question is I still don't know what the difference between
Internet Email
Outlook Address Book
Personal Address Book
Personal Folders
which one should I configure to have outlook 97 do my contacts and email?

Finally someone is pointing out how opaque the terminology used in Outlook
is.  We're expected to know the difference between the Outlook Address
book, our Personal Address Book, and then there's the highly mysterious
Windows Address Book that gets referred to now and then.

This is a reflection of a general problem with Office that is making me
think of selling my copy of it and going with Works instead.  There are
just thousands too many features, not organized very well, and not
explained in terms that someone not already familiar with those types of
features can understand.

All of the items Nader listed are lumped into the category of "Services."
OK, so what's a "service"?  The Outlook help file says that a services are
"Settings that make it possible to send, store and receive messages, and to
define how to store and use address you keep."  Now this is quite opaque to
me.  To the extent that I understand it, it's obviously false.  Take the
Personal Folder.  It's NOT a bunch of "settings" that enable the sending of
messages.  It's the file where all the messages themselves are stored!  (As
well, of course, as being the file where all tasks, contacts etc. are
stored.)  And "service" is one of the easier bits of jargon--I am very far
from knowing what all the various Thingamajig Address Books and Thingamajub
Address Books do, and I've used the program for months and searched for
enlightenment in the help files.

One of the higher mysteries is that an address book of one sort, namely a
Contacts folder, can be "shown as an e-mail Address Book"--just click on
Properties to see a check-box for this option.  But what it is for one
address book to be "shown as" another?  I have no idea.  (For a good
puzzler, read the help blurb for that click box, using the question-mark at
the top of the window.)  Are we dealing here with some sort of
transsubstantiation of address books?  Was the program designed by
Christian theologians maybe?

Mastering Outlook would seem to require mastering a jargon that makes no
sense.  Which is to say that there is, in fact, no way to master Outlook.
It's unintelligible.  You just gotta use it, and hope that things APPEAR to
go somewhat as you would like them to.  But, of course, you can't ever be
SURE that they're going as you'd like them to, because the program is
unintelligible.  There's no way to really know what's going on.

After getting Works to replace my bloated Word and Excel I think I'll go to
the store and get some modest little address book and calendar program,
which is not so ambitious as to exceed all bounds of intelligibility.

Of course, with Outlook 98 we can expect all sorts of NEW FEATURES!!!  By
now every Microsoft customer probably dreads that phrase.

HELP: PERSONAL , OUTLOOK FOLDER and ADDRESSBOOK QUESTIONS

Post by Amiri Jone » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> All of the items Nader listed are lumped into the category of "Services."
> OK, so what's a "service"?  The Outlook help file says that a services
are
> "Settings that make it possible to send, store and receive messages, and
> define how to store and use address you keep."  Now this is quite opaque
> me.  To the extent that I understand it, it's obviously false.  Take the
> Personal Folder.  It's NOT a bunch of "settings" that enable the sending
of
> messages.  It's the file where all the messages themselves are stored!
(As
> well, of course, as being the file where all tasks, contacts etc. are
> stored.)  And "service" is one of the easier bits of jargon--I am very
far
> from knowing what all the various Thingamajig Address Books and
Thingamajub
> Address Books do, and I've used the program for months and searched for
> enlightenment in the help files.

        Look at the definition of a service that you quoted again.  Part of the
definition includes the ability to 'store... messages'.  The Personal
Folders service does just that; allows you to store messages.  If you don't
know what an address book does, delete it; you probably weren't using it
anyway.  Futhermore of the three address books I've seen (Personal Address
Book, Outlook Address Book, and Corel Address Book), two of them quite
clearly indicate which program/suite put them there, and therefore, what
documentation I should consult for futher information.  Besides, all of
these services include the phrase 'Address Book' in their name.  What do
you keep in an address book?  ADDRESSES!!  Just as there are many different
paper address book formats out there (Day Timers, etc.), there are multiple
electronic versions as well!  Use one you like and ignore the rest.

Quote:

> One of the higher mysteries is that an address book of one sort, namely a
> Contacts folder, can be "shown as an e-mail Address Book"--just click on
> Properties to see a check-box for this option.  But what it is for one
> address book to be "shown as" another?  I have no idea.  (For a good
> puzzler, read the help blurb for that click box, using the question-mark
at
> the top of the window.)  Are we dealing here with some sort of
> transsubstantiation of address books?  Was the program designed by
> Christian theologians maybe?

        Showing a Contact List as an address book allows it to be searched for
email addresses, so that if you have a contact for Joe Blow that includes
an email address for him, all you have to do to send an email to him is
type Joe Blow into the To: field of the message; you don't have to remember
his address, because Outlook will retrieve it automatically.  To me, that
help field is quite self-explanatory.  When you click on the Address Book
button on the toolbar, or select Tools/Address Book, a window opens with a
list of names.  Near the upper right-hand corner of the window is a
drop-down box where you can select what address book to view: you can
select, say, the Personal book, any Outlook list designated as a book, the
Global Address List of your Exchange server, or anything else that's been
designated as an address book by the service designer.

Quote:> Mastering Outlook would seem to require mastering a jargon that makes no
> sense.  Which is to say that there is, in fact, no way to master Outlook.
> It's unintelligible.  You just gotta use it, and hope that things APPEAR
> go somewhat as you would like them to.  But, of course, you can't ever be
> SURE that they're going as you'd like them to, because the program is
> unintelligible.  There's no way to really know what's going on.

        I know I'm a computer junkie, but my friend was able to get up to speed by
buying a book on using Outlook (the MS Press book, for the record).  It
took him a couple of hours one afternoon to read through the book, and it
was quite clearly worded.  Perhaps you should try the same....

Quote:> After getting Works to replace my bloated Word and Excel I think I'll go
> the store and get some modest little address book and calendar program,
> which is not so ambitious as to exceed all bounds of intelligibility.

        I agree.  If you don't need the power of Outlook, then don't use it.  Just
don't flame it just because it doesn't fit YOUR needs.  There are plenty of
people out there who find it a very good match for their needs (like
myself).

Quote:

> Of course, with Outlook 98 we can expect all sorts of NEW FEATURES!!!  By
> now every Microsoft customer probably dreads that phrase.

        Not always.  Besides, nobody ever MAKES you upgrade.  Especially for a
program like Outlook.  If you're using it for e-mail, then as long as there
is support for your e-mail server, you don't have to upgrade.  If you're
not using it for e-mail, then you can continue to use it as long as your
computer works!

1. HELP: PERSONAL , OUTLOOK FOLDER and ADDRESSBOOK QUESTIONS

I just started using outlook 97 for my contacts and email and I have managed
to import my messages and my contacts however I am having problems importing
my email address book which is currently in many formats (excel, comma
seperated, outlook express bood (which managed to import it directly from my
Eudora)

anyway, my main question is I still don't know what the difference between

Internet Email
Outlook Address Book
Personal Address Book
Personal Folders

which one should I configure to have outlook 97 do my contacts and email?

thank you.

2. Rules for forwarding mail???

3. How to Copy Global Addressbook entry to Personal Addressbook through vb program

4. Exchange Server 5.5 Receive Duplicate Email Problem

5. ISA Filtering with Exchange

6. Help using my Personal Addressbook

7. Stop SMTP relay

8. Please Help :Outlook Personal Folder File

9. deleted items folder question... (ON PERSONAL FOLDERS)

10. Personal Folders vs. no Personal Folders

11. public folder synch with outlook personal folder

12. Personal addressbook misses 'public contacts'