Opening another user's mailbox

Post by Ben Joyc » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

All of our workstations are using MS Outlook98.  On my PC, I went into Tools
| Services | Exchange.  I went to the properties of the Exchange service and
on the Advanced tab, in the "Open these additional mailboxes" box I selected
the name of the mailbox that I want to open.  I exited and re-entered
Outlook.  I then went to the Exchange server and on the other user's
mailbox, I went to the permissions tab and made me a user for the mailbox.
I then went into his Outlook and made me a delegate to his mailbox.

His mailbox shows up with mine in the list of services in the folder view of
my Outlook, however when I try to open it to show the folders underneath (ie
inbox, calendar, etc.) I get the following error message: "Unable to expand
the folder.  The set of folders could not be opened."  However, if I go to
File | Open | Other user's folder, I am able to open his inbox just fine.

HELP!!  please

Opening another user's mailbox

Post by Chris Scharf » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000 09:28:49 -0800, "Ben Joyce"

>All of our workstations are using MS Outlook98.  On my PC, I went into Tools
>| Services | Exchange.  I went to the properties of the Exchange service and
>on the Advanced tab, in the "Open these additional mailboxes" box I selected
>the name of the mailbox that I want to open.  I exited and re-entered
>Outlook.  I then went to the Exchange server and on the other user's
>mailbox, I went to the permissions tab and made me a user for the mailbox.
>I then went into his Outlook and made me a delegate to his mailbox.

>His mailbox shows up with mine in the list of services in the folder view of
>my Outlook, however when I try to open it to show the folders underneath (ie
>inbox, calendar, etc.) I get the following error message: "Unable to expand
>the folder.  The set of folders could not be opened."  However, if I go to
>File | Open | Other user's folder, I am able to open his inbox just fine.

Q179065

--
Chris Scharff
Exchange MVP

Exchange FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

1. Can't open other user's mailboxes with inherited permissions

I can't seem to get into other user's mailboxes on a Exchange 5.5 (SP3)
server using Outlook 2K.  A friend of mine helped me set it up, and told me
to add my main user account (I was logged in as "admin" at the moment in NT
and Outlook) "clutch" using the tools>services>exchange server>advanced>add
user function.  I have tried with all of the accounts on this domain (test
domain, not production) to no avail.  I can see the folders on the left
pane, but when I click on it I get the "cannot open folder" message.  But
when I go to the actual mailbox, I can see both the admin and "clutch"
accounts have inherited admin permissions for each mailbox, yet they can't
see each other or anyone else.  Exchange is running on an NT 4.0 (SP6)
server and this is happening on Win2K Pro and Win NT 4 (SP6) clients.

Oh, I can access another user's mailbox if I log in to the station as a
user, and then open Outlook and add someone manually by going to the user's
mailbox properties.

Thanks for any help, I am under the impression that this is something really
dumb that I have setup wrong.

James

2. What the best security setting???

3. Can't open other user's mailbox

4. vendo Nissan

5. Unable to open a user's mailbox

6. Market Share ? 2000 Vs 5.5

7. Opening a User's Mailbox

8. Using Exchange properly

9. Outlook tries to open previous user's mailbox

10. Opening another user's mailbox

11. Opening other user's mailbox after moving

12. During logon, setup user's Outlook mail account to open other user's mailboxes in Win2k?