I need a LOT of opinions and ideas PLEASE

I need a LOT of opinions and ideas PLEASE

Post by Scot » Thu, 01 May 2003 04:15:27

Here's the situation, I work for a small company where the executives are
VERY demanding about how their systems work. They travel nationwide
constantly and need to access ALL of their email on and off-line (most of
them have over 800MB's of email and they are not willing to change this in
anyway) but they also want to use the features of exchange (calendar
sharing, their mail backed up yadda yadda)...

The resolution I have deployed which is NOT to their satisfaction based
PURELY on access speed is this:

Exchange 2000 Server
Windows 2000 Clients running Office 2K Pro
Outlook is configured for every folder to synchronize to an OST File for
offline use (again, they require access to all their mail on or off-line)
Windows 2000 Server providing RRAS PPTP VPN Connections
Earthlink Dialup

The only thing they don't have a problem with is Earthlink, they love it.

These users are very demanding in that they require extreme simplicity, full
functionality and speed. The problems I have encountered with the above
setup is that first off, the need to connect to VPN after connecting to
earthlink, they constantly forget and therefore they don't like it/want to
use it but I believe that if I can resolve the following problem they will
be willing to "live with it".

The main problem is speed of access. Now I KNOW that the reason outlook
takes forever to do anything when they open it while connected via
dial-up/VPN is because it's working/communicating directly with the server
through a slow ass dial-up VPN tunnel, but this is the entire problem that
needs to be resolved and I have no idea what else I can possibly do to
resolve it.

I've looked into going with wireless connections for them (Like Sprint's
"Vision") and while the cost is a minor issue the main problem is coverage,
they are not always in large cities, in fact they are more often then not in
remote areas.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do here?

My thought of how to "fix" this is to force their outlook client to only
attempt to directly connect/attach to the server if their LAN connection is
active and to otherwise always  work offline and pop/smtp their mail
straight into their OST's through the vpn connection (if they are connected)
but I can't seem to find a way to do this.

I need a LOT of opinions and ideas PLEASE

Post by Scot » Thu, 01 May 2003 04:23:36

I forgot to mention Web Access, they don't like it; "Too slow"...They are
extremely demanding...

Quote:> Here's the situation, I work for a small company where the executives are
> VERY demanding about how their systems work. They travel nationwide
> constantly and need to access ALL of their email on and off-line (most of
> them have over 800MB's of email and they are not willing to change this in
> anyway) but they also want to use the features of exchange (calendar
> sharing, their mail backed up yadda yadda)...

> The resolution I have deployed which is NOT to their satisfaction based
> PURELY on access speed is this:

> Exchange 2000 Server
> Windows 2000 Clients running Office 2K Pro
> Outlook is configured for every folder to synchronize to an OST File for
> offline use (again, they require access to all their mail on or off-line)
> Windows 2000 Server providing RRAS PPTP VPN Connections
> Earthlink Dialup

> The only thing they don't have a problem with is Earthlink, they love it.

> These users are very demanding in that they require extreme simplicity,
full
> functionality and speed. The problems I have encountered with the above
> setup is that first off, the need to connect to VPN after connecting to
> earthlink, they constantly forget and therefore they don't like it/want to
> use it but I believe that if I can resolve the following problem they will
> be willing to "live with it".

> The main problem is speed of access. Now I KNOW that the reason outlook
> takes forever to do anything when they open it while connected via
> dial-up/VPN is because it's working/communicating directly with the server
> through a slow ass dial-up VPN tunnel, but this is the entire problem that
> needs to be resolved and I have no idea what else I can possibly do to
> resolve it.

> I've looked into going with wireless connections for them (Like Sprint's
> "Vision") and while the cost is a minor issue the main problem is
coverage,
> they are not always in large cities, in fact they are more often then not
in
> remote areas.

> Does anyone have any idea what I can do here?

> My thought of how to "fix" this is to force their outlook client to only
> attempt to directly connect/attach to the server if their LAN connection
is
> active and to otherwise always  work offline and pop/smtp their mail
> straight into their OST's through the vpn connection (if they are
connected)
> but I can't seem to find a way to do this.

I need a LOT of opinions and ideas PLEASE

Post by Pete » Thu, 01 May 2003 08:26:32

Tough situation there. I don't see how they are ever
going to be satisfied with the speed of a dial up
connection.
In the long run, I think OWA is a better option since it
is transferring less data for each transaction and the
size of the mailbox isn't really a factor.
I believe using Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2003 will
provide some benefits for you, but there's only so much
you can do, 56k is still 56k.
I guess the only benefit is they aren't in the office
much! :)

Peter Diamond

Quote:>> them have over 800MB's of email and they are not

willing to change this in
Quote:>> anyway) but they also want to use the features of
exchange (calendar
>> sharing, their mail backed up yadda yadda)...

>> The resolution I have deployed which is NOT to their
satisfaction based
>> PURELY on access speed is this:

>> Exchange 2000 Server
>> Windows 2000 Clients running Office 2K Pro
>> Outlook is configured for every folder to synchronize
to an OST File for
>> offline use (again, they require access to all their

mail on or off-line)
Quote:>> Windows 2000 Server providing RRAS PPTP VPN Connections
>> Earthlink Dialup

>> The only thing they don't have a problem with is

Earthlink, they love it.
Quote:

>> These users are very demanding in that they require
extreme simplicity,
>full
>> functionality and speed. The problems I have

encountered with the above
Quote:>> setup is that first off, the need to connect to VPN
after connecting to
>> earthlink, they constantly forget and therefore they

don't like it/want to
Quote:>> use it but I believe that if I can resolve the

following problem they will
Quote:>> be willing to "live with it".

>> The main problem is speed of access. Now I KNOW that
the reason outlook
>> takes forever to do anything when they open it while
connected via
>> dial-up/VPN is because it's working/communicating

directly with the server
Quote:>> through a slow ass dial-up VPN tunnel, but this is the
entire problem that
>> needs to be resolved and I have no idea what else I
can possibly do to
>> resolve it.

>> I've looked into going with wireless connections for
them (Like Sprint's
>> "Vision") and while the cost is a minor issue the main
problem is
>coverage,
>> they are not always in large cities, in fact they are
more often then not
>in
>> remote areas.

>> Does anyone have any idea what I can do here?

>> My thought of how to "fix" this is to force their

outlook client to only
Quote:>> attempt to directly connect/attach to the server if

their LAN connection

Quote:>is
>> active and to otherwise always  work offline and
pop/smtp their mail
>> straight into their OST's through the vpn connection
(if they are
>connected)
>> but I can't seem to find a way to do this.

>.

I need a LOT of opinions and ideas PLEASE

Post by Scot » Thu, 01 May 2003 08:32:33

Ya but when they are it's hell - otherwise I'm the maytag repair man! :-)

Thanks - Anyone else?

> Tough situation there. I don't see how they are ever
> going to be satisfied with the speed of a dial up
> connection.
> In the long run, I think OWA is a better option since it
> is transferring less data for each transaction and the
> size of the mailbox isn't really a factor.
> I believe using Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2003 will
> provide some benefits for you, but there's only so much
> you can do, 56k is still 56k.
> I guess the only benefit is they aren't in the office
> much! :)

> Peter Diamond

Post by Gary McDonnel » Thu, 01 May 2003 08:36:10

I suggest you look into a Citrix / Terminal Server system. With Citrix very
little data moves across the wire - it's like remote control but for
multiple users. Applications can also be made to run transparently within a
window launched with a single icon. The users will still have to dial up, of
course.

Be forewarned that Citrix is expensive and it requires experience to set up
properly (i.e., plan on buying a consultant's time). But on the other hand
it can make a dialup seem nearly like "being there" in the office. And as a
side note, if they demand extreme simplicity, full functionality and speed
then they have to take the responsibility of paying for it. There's an old
adage: "Racing costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

Gary McDonnell
http://turbogeeks.com

I forgot to mention Web Access, they don't like it; "Too slow"...They are
extremely demanding...

Quote:> Here's the situation, I work for a small company where the executives are
> VERY demanding about how their systems work. They travel nationwide
> constantly and need to access ALL of their email on and off-line (most of
> them have over 800MB's of email and they are not willing to change this in
> anyway) but they also want to use the features of exchange (calendar
> sharing, their mail backed up yadda yadda)...

> The resolution I have deployed which is NOT to their satisfaction based
> PURELY on access speed is this:

> Exchange 2000 Server
> Windows 2000 Clients running Office 2K Pro
> Outlook is configured for every folder to synchronize to an OST File for
> offline use (again, they require access to all their mail on or off-line)
> Windows 2000 Server providing RRAS PPTP VPN Connections
> Earthlink Dialup

> The only thing they don't have a problem with is Earthlink, they love it.

> These users are very demanding in that they require extreme simplicity,
full
> functionality and speed. The problems I have encountered with the above
> setup is that first off, the need to connect to VPN after connecting to
> earthlink, they constantly forget and therefore they don't like it/want to
> use it but I believe that if I can resolve the following problem they will
> be willing to "live with it".

> The main problem is speed of access. Now I KNOW that the reason outlook
> takes forever to do anything when they open it while connected via
> dial-up/VPN is because it's working/communicating directly with the server
> through a slow ass dial-up VPN tunnel, but this is the entire problem that
> needs to be resolved and I have no idea what else I can possibly do to
> resolve it.

> I've looked into going with wireless connections for them (Like Sprint's
> "Vision") and while the cost is a minor issue the main problem is
coverage,
> they are not always in large cities, in fact they are more often then not
in
> remote areas.

> Does anyone have any idea what I can do here?

> My thought of how to "fix" this is to force their outlook client to only
> attempt to directly connect/attach to the server if their LAN connection
is
> active and to otherwise always  work offline and pop/smtp their mail
> straight into their OST's through the vpn connection (if they are
connected)
> but I can't seem to find a way to do this.

I need a LOT of opinions and ideas PLEASE

Post by Scot » Thu, 01 May 2003 08:46:10

Agreed. I looked into Citrix and the cost is what is stopping me there. I'm
up for a raise now and once I get it, then I'll ask for money for citrix ;-)
Using Terminal server now for some outside folks to connect to our database
app, but that wouldn't exactly cut it.

Thanks!

> [...]

> > resolve it.

> > I've looked into going with wireless connections for them (Like Sprint's
> > "Vision") and while the cost is a minor issue the main problem is
> coverage,
> > they are not always in large cities, in fact they are more often then
not
> in
> > remote areas.

> > Does anyone have any idea what I can do here?

> > My thought of how to "fix" this is to force their outlook client to only
> > attempt to directly connect/attach to the server if their LAN connection
> is
> > active and to otherwise always  work offline and pop/smtp their mail
> > straight into their OST's through the vpn connection (if they are
> connected)
> > but I can't seem to find a way to do this.

I need a LOT of opinions and ideas PLEASE

Post by Scott Fellman [MSFT » Thu, 01 May 2003 12:34:36

Scott,

What about upgrading the OS on the exec machines to winxp? Then they can RDP
into their desktop and look at the same thing they see in the office. They
not only get full Outlook performance, but full performance from all apps.
You save a ton on Citrix, put them on a stable OS and get that big raise!

Sent to you via the miracle of Windows XP RDP from my 400 mhz AMD home
machine with 56k dialup connecting to my office machine :) Wish I were using
DSL, but it hasn't yet made it to my town.

Good Luck,
--
Scott Fellman
Microsoft

Post by Lee Derbyshir » Thu, 01 May 2003 20:37:00

Quote:> Here's the situation, I work for a small company where the executives are
> VERY demanding about how their systems work. They travel nationwide
> constantly and need to access ALL of their email on and off-line (most of
> them have over 800MB's of email and they are not willing to change this in
> anyway) but they also want to use the features of exchange (calendar
> sharing, their mail backed up yadda yadda)...

I've never tried it, but since you are looking for suggestions:

http://www.seasidesw.com/default.htm

It might also be worth getting an Exchange consultant in. I know you may not
like the sound of this, but at least you're getting a 'second opinion', and
it might take the heat of you a bit.

Lee.

--
___________________________________

Outlook Web Access for PDA and WAP:
www.leederbyshire.com
___________________________________

I need a LOT of opinions and ideas PLEASE

Post by Wild Man^ » Thu, 01 May 2003 22:50:05

I think Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2003 to be released this summer would be
an ideal solution to this problem. Outlook 2003's cached mode keeps a copy
of the mailbox on your PC and sync's it up in the background (thus appearing
to be fast even on a slow connection). And when online with Exchange 2003 it
allows you to do this remotely over a secure remote protocol (SSL I think,
haven't tested it personally) without a VPN. But in Exchange 2003, OWA is so
much better and faster I think it's likely your users will be quite happy
with it. I sound like I'm in MS marketing but I'm really not. I just have
been that impressed while testing these new products.

Quote:> Here's the situation, I work for a small company where the executives are
> VERY demanding about how their systems work. They travel nationwide
> constantly and need to access ALL of their email on and off-line (most of
> them have over 800MB's of email and they are not willing to change this in
> anyway) but they also want to use the features of exchange (calendar
> sharing, their mail backed up yadda yadda)...

> The resolution I have deployed which is NOT to their satisfaction based
> PURELY on access speed is this:

> Exchange 2000 Server
> Windows 2000 Clients running Office 2K Pro
> Outlook is configured for every folder to synchronize to an OST File for
> offline use (again, they require access to all their mail on or off-line)
> Windows 2000 Server providing RRAS PPTP VPN Connections
> Earthlink Dialup

> The only thing they don't have a problem with is Earthlink, they love it.

> These users are very demanding in that they require extreme simplicity,
full
> functionality and speed. The problems I have encountered with the above
> setup is that first off, the need to connect to VPN after connecting to
> earthlink, they constantly forget and therefore they don't like it/want to
> use it but I believe that if I can resolve the following problem they will
> be willing to "live with it".

> The main problem is speed of access. Now I KNOW that the reason outlook
> takes forever to do anything when they open it while connected via
> dial-up/VPN is because it's working/communicating directly with the server
> through a slow ass dial-up VPN tunnel, but this is the entire problem that
> needs to be resolved and I have no idea what else I can possibly do to
> resolve it.

> I've looked into going with wireless connections for them (Like Sprint's
> "Vision") and while the cost is a minor issue the main problem is
coverage,
> they are not always in large cities, in fact they are more often then not
in
> remote areas.

> Does anyone have any idea what I can do here?

> My thought of how to "fix" this is to force their outlook client to only
> attempt to directly connect/attach to the server if their LAN connection
is
> active and to otherwise always  work offline and pop/smtp their mail
> straight into their OST's through the vpn connection (if they are
connected)
> but I can't seem to find a way to do this.

I need a LOT of opinions and ideas PLEASE

Post by Ed Woodric » Fri, 02 May 2003 00:09:59

Scott,

You're close, but not quite on track. Configure Outlook to ask to be online
of offline at startup. Then let the user make the decision. Online should
only be used when connected through a high-speed connection, not dial-up

Then, on the synchronization settings, you have a couple of options, but
basically you can synchronize while online or offline and periodically. So
while online, synchronize periodically as well as logoff. And while I
usually synchronize while offline, dependant on the connection you might get
some pop-ups that they don't like.

Also, you can setup the synchronization to dial another connection, which
would be your VPN connection.

Other permutations are to use Microsoft's ISA server which can proxy Outlook
to an Exchange Server, no need to have the VPN.
Also the next release of Outlook should pretty well solve their problems.
It's currently in Beta and you can order the Beta to try it out. But
remember that it IS BETA and does have some issues.

The secret to the whole process is to not go online with the server unless
there is very high-speed connectivity. On my laptop, I actually seldom go
online, I always synchronize.

Ed Woodrick MVP - Exchange

Quote:> Here's the situation, I work for a small company where the executives are
> VERY demanding about how their systems work. They travel nationwide
> constantly and need to access ALL of their email on and off-line (most of
> them have over 800MB's of email and they are not willing to change this in
> anyway) but they also want to use the features of exchange (calendar
> sharing, their mail backed up yadda yadda)...

> The resolution I have deployed which is NOT to their satisfaction based
> PURELY on access speed is this:

> Exchange 2000 Server
> Windows 2000 Clients running Office 2K Pro
> Outlook is configured for every folder to synchronize to an OST File for
> offline use (again, they require access to all their mail on or off-line)
> Windows 2000 Server providing RRAS PPTP VPN Connections
> Earthlink Dialup

> The only thing they don't have a problem with is Earthlink, they love it.

> These users are very demanding in that they require extreme simplicity,
full
> functionality and speed. The problems I have encountered with the above
> setup is that first off, the need to connect to VPN after connecting to
> earthlink, they constantly forget and therefore they don't like it/want to
> use it but I believe that if I can resolve the following problem they will
> be willing to "live with it".

> The main problem is speed of access. Now I KNOW that the reason outlook
> takes forever to do anything when they open it while connected via
> dial-up/VPN is because it's working/communicating directly with the server
> through a slow ass dial-up VPN tunnel, but this is the entire problem that
> needs to be resolved and I have no idea what else I can possibly do to
> resolve it.

> I've looked into going with wireless connections for them (Like Sprint's
> "Vision") and while the cost is a minor issue the main problem is
coverage,
> they are not always in large cities, in fact they are more often then not
in
> remote areas.

> Does anyone have any idea what I can do here?

> My thought of how to "fix" this is to force their outlook client to only
> attempt to directly connect/attach to the server if their LAN connection
is
> active and to otherwise always  work offline and pop/smtp their mail
> straight into their OST's through the vpn connection (if they are
connected)
> but I can't seem to find a way to do this.

I need a LOT of opinions and ideas PLEASE

Post by Scot » Fri, 02 May 2003 01:32:33

Their laptops are their only machines...otherwise this would work...(with
VPN - behind PIX)

> Scott,

> What about upgrading the OS on the exec machines to winxp? Then they can
RDP
> into their desktop and look at the same thing they see in the office. They
> not only get full Outlook performance, but full performance from all apps.
> You save a ton on Citrix, put them on a stable OS and get that big raise!

> Sent to you via the miracle of Windows XP RDP from my 400 mhz AMD home
> machine with 56k dialup connecting to my office machine :) Wish I were
using
> DSL, but it hasn't yet made it to my town.

> Good Luck,
> --
> Scott Fellman
> Microsoft
> --
rights.

> > Agreed. I looked into Citrix and the cost is what is stopping me there.
> I'm
> > up for a raise now and once I get it, then I'll ask for money for citrix
> ;-)
> > Using Terminal server now for some outside folks to connect to our
> database
> > app, but that wouldn't exactly cut it.

> > Thanks!

> > > I suggest you look into a Citrix / Terminal Server system. With Citrix
> > very
> > > little data moves across the wire - it's like remote control but for
> > > multiple users. Applications can also be made to run transparently
> within
> > > window launched with a single icon. The users will still have to dial
> up,
> > of
> > > course.

> > > Be forewarned that Citrix is expensive and it requires experience to
set
> > up
> > > properly (i.e., plan on buying a consultant's time). But on the other
> hand
> > > it can make a dialup seem nearly like "being there" in the office. And
> as
> > > side note, if they demand extreme simplicity, full functionality and
> speed
> > > then they have to take the responsibility of paying for it. There's an
> old
> > > adage: "Racing costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

> > > Gary McDonnell
> > > http://turbogeeks.com

> > > I forgot to mention Web Access, they don't like it; "Too slow"...They
> are
> > > extremely demanding...

> > are
> > of
> this
> > in

> based

> for
> > off-line)

> > it.

> simplicity,
> > > full
> above
> it/want
> > will

> outlook
> > server
> > that

> Sprint's
> > > coverage,
> > not
> > > in

> only
> connection
> > > is
> > > connected)

1. Need LOTS of opinions and Ideas PLEASE

[...]

2. Duplication of incoming email on an irregular basis

3. A lot of FAQs but not a lot of ideas

4. MIME/UUE encoding - way to switch easily?

5. Please help - Need LOTS of input here...

6. Need Calendar/Tasks app for Exchange 5.5/Outlook 97

7. Need Expert Opinion Please...

8. Internal Server Problem Help !!!1

9. Professional opinions needed please

10. Help: Opinions needed please..