Email stuck in Exchange's Inbox instead of going to .pst

Email stuck in Exchange's Inbox instead of going to .pst

Post by Sur » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 02:42:12

Hi,

I have 1 user whose email stuck at Exchange's Inbox instead of going to his
.pst.
The Delivery tab is already set to his Personal Folder.

Environment: Exchange2K SP3 on Win2K Server SP3 where client is W2K Prof
with Office 2000.
All patches are applied on the client's pc (using WindowsUpdate and manually
d/load SP for Office).

If I created a new .pst, it works for 1-2 days before stuck again at
Exchange's Inbox.

Any clue/idea?
TIA.

,Sur

Email stuck in Exchange's Inbox instead of going to .pst

Post by Ed Woodric » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 22:15:08

I'd highly recommend against using PST. They aren't necessarily and they
severely restrict the functionality of Exchange.

What happens if you just drag and drop the messages?

Ed Woodrick MVP - Exchange

Quote:> Hi,

> I have 1 user whose email stuck at Exchange's Inbox instead of going to
his
> .pst.
> The Delivery tab is already set to his Personal Folder.

> Environment: Exchange2K SP3 on Win2K Server SP3 where client is W2K Prof
> with Office 2000.
> All patches are applied on the client's pc (using WindowsUpdate and
manually
> d/load SP for Office).

> If I created a new .pst, it works for 1-2 days before stuck again at
> Exchange's Inbox.

> Any clue/idea?
> TIA.

> ,Sur

Email stuck in Exchange's Inbox instead of going to .pst

Post by Sur » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:54:43

My client doesn't want to "waste" space on their Exchange server where each
desktop's harddisk is around 30GB !

This particular user's .pst file is close to 700MB, I still think it's not a
problem as I read from Microsoft KB that the limitation is +/- 2 GB.
Further, creating a new .pst file also didn't help (eventually).

Drag n drop is not a problem, but I can't ask this user (a CFO) to drag n
drop his emails   :-)
He told me, if others can work, why mine can not?

I'll try KB 305572 when I visited their office in 2 days.

Meanwhile, any other pointers will be very much appreciated!

,Suryanto

> I'd highly recommend against using PST. They aren't necessarily and they
> severely restrict the functionality of Exchange.

> What happens if you just drag and drop the messages?

> Ed Woodrick MVP - Exchange

> > Hi,

> > I have 1 user whose email stuck at Exchange's Inbox instead of going to
> his
> > .pst.
> > The Delivery tab is already set to his Personal Folder.

> > Environment: Exchange2K SP3 on Win2K Server SP3 where client is W2K Prof
> > with Office 2000.
> > All patches are applied on the client's pc (using WindowsUpdate and
> manually
> > d/load SP for Office).

> > If I created a new .pst, it works for 1-2 days before stuck again at
> > Exchange's Inbox.

> > Any clue/idea?
> > TIA.

> > ,Sur

Email stuck in Exchange's Inbox instead of going to .pst

Post by Ed Woodric » Thu, 17 Apr 2003 07:04:27

You might want to demonstrate OWA to them. You might also want to inform
them of the issues with scanning PSTs for viruses. You might also want to
inform them that 2GB is a hard coded limitation, not an operational
recommendation. You might want to remind them that they probably aren't
backing up the desktop.

See www.swinc.com for many, many more reasons why PST=BAD.

Ed Woodrick MVP - Exchange

> My client doesn't want to "waste" space on their Exchange server where
each
> desktop's harddisk is around 30GB !

> This particular user's .pst file is close to 700MB, I still think it's not
> problem as I read from Microsoft KB that the limitation is +/- 2 GB.
> Further, creating a new .pst file also didn't help (eventually).

> Drag n drop is not a problem, but I can't ask this user (a CFO) to drag n
> drop his emails   :-)
> He told me, if others can work, why mine can not?

> I'll try KB 305572 when I visited their office in 2 days.

> Meanwhile, any other pointers will be very much appreciated!

> ,Suryanto

> > I'd highly recommend against using PST. They aren't necessarily and they
> > severely restrict the functionality of Exchange.

> > What happens if you just drag and drop the messages?

> > Ed Woodrick MVP - Exchange

> > > Hi,

> > > I have 1 user whose email stuck at Exchange's Inbox instead of going
> > his
> > > .pst.
> > > The Delivery tab is already set to his Personal Folder.

> > > Environment: Exchange2K SP3 on Win2K Server SP3 where client is W2K
Prof
> > > with Office 2000.
> > > All patches are applied on the client's pc (using WindowsUpdate and
> > manually
> > > d/load SP for Office).

> > > If I created a new .pst, it works for 1-2 days before stuck again at
> > > Exchange's Inbox.

> > > Any clue/idea?
> > > TIA.

> > > ,Sur

Email stuck in Exchange's Inbox instead of going to .pst

Post by Sur » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 17:44:19

Hi all,

Problem is solved by manually moving the items in Exchange's folders (inbox,
outbox, sent items, draft, etc)  to pst's respective folders.

I just noticed when Outlook starts, I have Sending & Receiving ALWAYS ON on
the left corner of the Outlook's window.  No matter whether there's a new
email or not, that send&rcv is ALWAYS ON.

,Suryanto

> You might want to demonstrate OWA to them. You might also want to inform
> them of the issues with scanning PSTs for viruses. You might also want to
> inform them that 2GB is a hard coded limitation, not an operational
> recommendation. You might want to remind them that they probably aren't
> backing up the desktop.

> See www.swinc.com for many, many more reasons why PST=BAD.

> Ed Woodrick MVP - Exchange

> > My client doesn't want to "waste" space on their Exchange server where
> each
> > desktop's harddisk is around 30GB !

> > This particular user's .pst file is close to 700MB, I still think it's
not
> > problem as I read from Microsoft KB that the limitation is +/- 2 GB.
> > Further, creating a new .pst file also didn't help (eventually).

> > Drag n drop is not a problem, but I can't ask this user (a CFO) to drag
> > drop his emails   :-)
> > He told me, if others can work, why mine can not?

> > I'll try KB 305572 when I visited their office in 2 days.

> > Meanwhile, any other pointers will be very much appreciated!

> > ,Suryanto

> > > I'd highly recommend against using PST. They aren't necessarily and
they
> > > severely restrict the functionality of Exchange.

> > > What happens if you just drag and drop the messages?

> > > Ed Woodrick MVP - Exchange

> > > his

> Prof
> > > manually

Email stuck in Exchange's Inbox instead of going to .pst

Post by Brian Ferguso » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:14:57

Is there a size limit for .pst files?  I have one user
who has 1.5GB of mail on our exch2k server and I we are
trying to bring it under the 300MB range by archiving his
old mail.  Around 60% archived and then the archive
function stopped working.  Every time we try to archive
the rest the archiving dialogue pops up for a sec and
then stops with no further messages being archived.  Drag
and drop intiates the following message "item could not
be moved.  The item has either been moved, deleted, or
access is denied"

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

Brian

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I'd highly recommend against using PST. They aren't

necessarily and they
>severely restrict the functionality of Exchange.

>What happens if you just drag and drop the messages?

>Ed Woodrick MVP - Exchange

>> Hi,

>> I have 1 user whose email stuck at Exchange's Inbox
instead of going to
>his
>> .pst.
>> The Delivery tab is already set to his Personal Folder.

>> Environment: Exchange2K SP3 on Win2K Server SP3 where
client is W2K Prof
>> with Office 2000.
>> All patches are applied on the client's pc (using
WindowsUpdate and
>manually
>> d/load SP for Office).

>> If I created a new .pst, it works for 1-2 days before
stuck again at
>> Exchange's Inbox.

>> Any clue/idea?
>> TIA.

>> ,Sur

>.

Email stuck in Exchange's Inbox instead of going to .pst

Post by Ankur Kothar » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:04:37

I'm not sure if the beginning question was answered, but the hard limit is
1.82 GB.  You can't put more items in once this is reached.

--
Ankur Kothari

> Is there a size limit for .pst files?  I have one user
> who has 1.5GB of mail on our exch2k server and I we are
> trying to bring it under the 300MB range by archiving his
> old mail.  Around 60% archived and then the archive
> function stopped working.  Every time we try to archive
> the rest the archiving dialogue pops up for a sec and
> then stops with no further messages being archived.  Drag
> and drop intiates the following message "item could not
> be moved.  The item has either been moved, deleted, or
> access is denied"

> Has anyone seen this before?

> Thanks

> Brian

Post by Ed Woodric » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 02:16:47

I'd recommend limiting archives at 600MB, the size of a CD.

> Is there a size limit for .pst files?  I have one user
> who has 1.5GB of mail on our exch2k server and I we are
> trying to bring it under the 300MB range by archiving his
> old mail.  Around 60% archived and then the archive
> function stopped working.  Every time we try to archive
> the rest the archiving dialogue pops up for a sec and
> then stops with no further messages being archived.  Drag
> and drop intiates the following message "item could not
> be moved.  The item has either been moved, deleted, or
> access is denied"

> Has anyone seen this before?

> Thanks

> Brian

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 09:22:29

Official size limit is 2GB - most people seem to see problems crop up closer
to 1.2 - 1.5 GB.

> Is there a size limit for .pst files?  I have one user
> who has 1.5GB of mail on our exch2k server and I we are
> trying to bring it under the 300MB range by archiving his
> old mail.  Around 60% archived and then the archive
> function stopped working.  Every time we try to archive
> the rest the archiving dialogue pops up for a sec and
> then stops with no further messages being archived.  Drag
> and drop intiates the following message "item could not
> be moved.  The item has either been moved, deleted, or
> access is denied"

> Has anyone seen this before?

> Thanks

> Brian

1. System won't let go of my .pst file

I just got back from a week-long vacation to find that one
of my users can't access his personal folders in Outlook.
Whenever he tries to, he gets the following message:

"The set of folders could not be opened.  File user.pst is
in use and could not be accessed.  Close any application
using this file, and try again."

Now, I know there's no other application using this file.
The file is approximately 22MB, so it's not empty.
Furthermore, if I try to copy the file anywhere, the
system gives me a message stating that the file can't be
copied beause another application has locked a portion of
the file.

My backup from last week is somehow unusable (says
Windows), so my only chance is to find a way to fix this
file.  Can anyone help?

2. Outlook Web Client question

3. forwarding mail won't go with inbox assistant

4. Username Syntax in Outlook Express Account Details?

5. Inbox Assitant Auto Replies Don't go out over internet

6. MTA not starting

7. Inbox messages won't go to deleted items

8. back upi exchange server

9. inbox assistant can't forwad email to an outside email address

10. OWA INBOX MESSAGES - GONE - where did it go?

11. Users Email gone from Outlook Inbox

12. e-mails going to Groupwise instead of Exchange

13. Multipules of same email sent (like it's stuck in queue)