Outlook 98 clients can't connect to local Exchange server when WAN link is down

Outlook 98 clients can't connect to local Exchange server when WAN link is down

Post by <x> » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Our network has several WAN links connected by a frame-relay.  If, for some
reason the link is down, Outlook 98 clients cannot connect to an Exchange
server on their own local segment.  Outlook 97 clients seem to be OK.

We did try modifying the HOSTS files on all the machines to include a
reference to the local Exchange servers, but that still doesn't work.

Today for, example, we had a power supply fail on a router in one of our
offices.  Until a replacement router is shipped and brought back online,
they can't send/receive Internet mail, AND they cannot even connect to their
own Exchange server to generate mail among themselves.

This was not a problem prior to the Outlook 98 rollout.

Any suggestions?

Outlook 98 clients can't connect to local Exchange server when WAN link is down

Post by Marlo Montanar » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Don't know why there would be a difference between Outlook 97 and 98, but it
sounds almost like you have static routes programmed into the routers- when
the router goes down, the static routes all disappear.

Also, where is the DNS and WINS servers?  If they are on the "other side" of
the routers then that could also cause some problems.

..... Just some thoughts,

Regards... MM

>Our network has several WAN links connected by a frame-relay.  If, for some
>reason the link is down, Outlook 98 clients cannot connect to an Exchange
>server on their own local segment.  Outlook 97 clients seem to be OK.

>We did try modifying the HOSTS files on all the machines to include a
>reference to the local Exchange servers, but that still doesn't work.

>Today for, example, we had a power supply fail on a router in one of our
>offices.  Until a replacement router is shipped and brought back online,
>they can't send/receive Internet mail, AND they cannot even connect to
their
>own Exchange server to generate mail among themselves.

>This was not a problem prior to the Outlook 98 rollout.

>Any suggestions?

1. Outlook 98 clients can't connect to local Exchange server when WAN link is down

Our network has several WAN links connected by a frame-relay.  If, for some
reason the link is down, Outlook 98 clients cannot connect to an Exchange
server on their own local segment.  Outlook 97 clients seem to be OK.

We did try modifying the HOSTS files on all the machines to include a
reference to the local Exchange servers, but that still doesn't work.

Today for, example, we had a power supply fail on a router in one of our
offices.  Until a replacement router is shipped and brought back online,
they can't send/receive Internet mail, AND they cannot even connect to their
own Exchange server to generate mail among themselves.

This was not a problem prior to the Outlook 98 rollout.

Any suggestions?

2. Exchange 5.0 SDK

3. Some Outlook 98 clients don't connect to Exchange Server 5.5

4. Error in IS/DS consistency

5. import users name onto gal

6. Some Outlook 98 clients don't connect to my Exchange Server 5.5

7. Cannot receive email on isolated network

8. Outlook 98 clients cannot connect to exchange server after installing proxy client 2.0

9. Outlook 98 won't connect to Exchange Server 5.5

10. Connecting Outlook 98 client to Exchange server through a Firewall

11. Troubles with Outlook 98 and Exchange Server 5.5 (only a few clients connect)

12. Connecting Outlook 98 client to Exchange server through a Firewall