O98 Rules Wizard, Exchange 5.5 and Custom Recipient?

O98 Rules Wizard, Exchange 5.5 and Custom Recipient?

Post by Kenny Schif » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I've setup a custom recipient on our server that auto forwards mail to my
cell phone. I am able to send messages to this address, and have them
forwarded to my cell phone.

I want to set up a rule in O98 that based on "sensitivity" forwards to this
address. I want to also be able to hide the custom address. The rule doesn't
work. It's a server-based rule.

Am wondering what I'm doing wrong, or if I should take a different approach.
Any ideas?

O98 Rules Wizard, Exchange 5.5 and Custom Recipient?

Post by beeja » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

The rules wizard in Outlook98 is client based.
beejay

Quote:> I've setup a custom recipient on our server that auto forwards mail to my
> cell phone. I am able to send messages to this address, and have them
> forwarded to my cell phone.

> I want to set up a rule in O98 that based on "sensitivity" forwards to
this
> address. I want to also be able to hide the custom address. The rule
doesn't
> work. It's a server-based rule.

> Am wondering what I'm doing wrong, or if I should take a different
approach.
> Any ideas?

O98 Rules Wizard, Exchange 5.5 and Custom Recipient?

Post by Chris Schar » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

The rules wizard is capable of producing both client side and server
side rules.

If you hide the CR after creating the rule does it not work? Been a
while since I tried it, so I honestly don't remember. We created a
nomenclature for things such as pager recipients, a pager recipient
would be "PR-employee_identifier" so that they all would appear in the
same place in the GAL. A Cell phone would be "CR-employee_identifier".

We also restrict those addresses so that only the user can send to it
if necessary (to keep others from abusing your cell phone)

Chris Scharff
Exchange Administrator
BV Solutions Group

#include std_disclaim.h

>The rules wizard in Outlook98 is client based.
>beejay

>> I've setup a custom recipient on our server that auto forwards mail to my
>> cell phone. I am able to send messages to this address, and have them
>> forwarded to my cell phone.

>> I want to set up a rule in O98 that based on "sensitivity" forwards to
>this
>> address. I want to also be able to hide the custom address. The rule
>doesn't
>> work. It's a server-based rule.

>> Am wondering what I'm doing wrong, or if I should take a different
>approach.
>> Any ideas?

O98 Rules Wizard, Exchange 5.5 and Custom Recipient?

Post by Sue Mosher [MVP » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Certain conditions make a rule client-only. The "sensitivity" setting may be
one of them.
--
Sue Mosher
Author of "The Microsoft Outlook E-mail and Fax Guide"

Quote:> I've setup a custom recipient on our server that auto forwards mail to my
> cell phone. I am able to send messages to this address, and have them
> forwarded to my cell phone.

> I want to set up a rule in O98 that based on "sensitivity" forwards to
this
> address. I want to also be able to hide the custom address. The rule
doesn't
> work. It's a server-based rule.

> Am wondering what I'm doing wrong, or if I should take a different
approach.
> Any ideas?

O98 Rules Wizard, Exchange 5.5 and Custom Recipient?

Post by beeja » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

The Rules Wizard is client based. In the case of an Exchange Server it
requires the user is connected to the Server.
The Inbox Assistant (Server based) allows the storage and processing of
rules directly on the Exchange server.
The Rules Wizard can only operate on the Client's Inbox and Outbox via an
actively running copy of Outlook (regardless of the location of that store).
Even with IMAP in Outlook2000 the Rules Wizard requires the message body is
downloaded to operate on the message body.
beejay

> The rules wizard is capable of producing both client side and server
> side rules.

> If you hide the CR after creating the rule does it not work? Been a
> while since I tried it, so I honestly don't remember. We created a
> nomenclature for things such as pager recipients, a pager recipient
> would be "PR-employee_identifier" so that they all would appear in the
> same place in the GAL. A Cell phone would be "CR-employee_identifier".

> We also restrict those addresses so that only the user can send to it
> if necessary (to keep others from abusing your cell phone)

> Chris Scharff
> Exchange Administrator
> BV Solutions Group

> #include std_disclaim.h

> >The rules wizard in Outlook98 is client based.
> >beejay

> >> I've setup a custom recipient on our server that auto forwards mail to
my
> >> cell phone. I am able to send messages to this address, and have them
> >> forwarded to my cell phone.

> >> I want to set up a rule in O98 that based on "sensitivity" forwards to
> >this
> >> address. I want to also be able to hide the custom address. The rule
> >doesn't
> >> work. It's a server-based rule.

> >> Am wondering what I'm doing wrong, or if I should take a different
> >approach.
> >> Any ideas?

O98 Rules Wizard, Exchange 5.5 and Custom Recipient?

Post by Chris Schar » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Server side rules are client independent. You set them up and they run
(requiring no client, pst or ost to fire).

Basically if the rule doesn't reference something on the client
machine, or a folder outside the default mailbox (e.g. public folders)
it's a server side rule. So, a rule to delete all messages from

mailbox with a client again.

>OK. I'm learning somwthing every day (hope I never stop). Do server rules
>then work without the Client being connected when using a pst or are they
>restricted to an ost?
>beejay

>> Actually, not always.  I use the Rules Wizard with OL2000 (and did with
>OL97
>> and 98 before this) and Exchange Server 5.x and some of my rules are
>> Server-based whereas others are client based.  The difference depends upon
>> the type of action being performed and where to.

>> For example: I have a rule that moves all of the mail from the Saluki MCSE
>> Mailing list into a folder (located in my Exchange Mailbox).  That rule is
>> server-based and fires just fine even when I'm not logged in.

>> I have another rule that moves mail from my sister into a "Family"  folder
>> which is located in a .PST file on my office computer.  That rule is
>> client-based and requires me to be logged in for it to fire.

>> Both rules were created with the Rules Wizard - in fact, I've never
>created
>> a production rule with the Inbox Assistant.

>> --
>> Aloha,

>> -Ben-
>> Ben M. Schorr, MVP-Outlook, CNA, MCPx3
>> Director of Information Services
>> Damon Key Leong Kupchak Hastert
>> For More info, please visit our web site at http://www.hawaiilawyer.com

>> > The Rules Wizard is client based. In the case of an Exchange Server it
>> > requires the user is connected to the Server.
>> > The Inbox Assistant (Server based) allows the storage and processing of
>> > rules directly on the Exchange server.
>> > The Rules Wizard can only operate on the Client's Inbox and Outbox via
>an
>> > actively running copy of Outlook (regardless of the location of that
>> store).
>> > Even with IMAP in Outlook2000 the Rules Wizard requires the message body
>> is
>> > downloaded to operate on the message body.
>> > beejay

>> > my
>them

>rule

O98 Rules Wizard, Exchange 5.5 and Custom Recipient?

Post by Sue Mosher [MVP » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

No, they can't coexist. You can have one or the other. To enable Inbox
Assistant, disable Rules Wizard through the Add-In Manager. I haven't tried
a sensitivity rule with IA. Let us know how your tests come out.
--
Sue Mosher
Author of "The Microsoft Outlook E-mail and Fax Guide"
Exchange and Outlook FAQs at http://www.slipstick.com/exchange/

Quote:> Are you saying that the "inbox assistant" can co-exist on an O98 machine
> with the "rules wizard." Can't seem to find how I would add this in.

> Regardless, I'm still looking for a way to have a server-based rule that
> forwards mail based on sensitivity to an external internet address.

1. O98 Rules Wizard

I'm having a problem with creating a rule with the rules
wizard.  What I would like to accomplish is upon arrival
of various email messages based on "specific words in the
sender's address" move the message to a specific folder.

The problem is with "specific words in the sender's
address".  This portion of the rule does not seem to
function with internet mail being received.  As an example
I receive various messages from individuals at XYZ.Com and
would like all XYZ.Com messages to be moved into a
particular folder.

Has anyone encountered this type of problem?  If so, what
then is the resolution.

Thanks,
John

2. Question?

3. Rules wizard and exchange 5.5 running out of space to save new rules

4. User's not automatically recieving email

5. Help! "A mail message was not sent due to a protocol error."

6. Rules wizard and Exchange server 5.5 running out of space to store rules

7. mailbox usage stats?

8. Exchange Admin Rule/NOT Outlook Rule Wizard or Exchange Client

9. Rules Wizard (Exchange 2000 vs Exchange 5.5)

10. Mail Forwarded to Internet by Rule (O98) May Fail

11. Problem with Rules Wizard in Exchange 5.5