Connection problem in Win98+Outlook98+Exchange5.5

Connection problem in Win98+Outlook98+Exchange5.5

Post by Fivos Adamidi » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I was connecting through DUN to our corporate Exchange Server 5.5 with
Outlook98 in win95. After a new, clean installation of Win98 and Outlook98,
the client cannot connect to Exchange Server anymore.
I' m getting the message "Server name cannot be resolved".
I' ve already tried:
1. To connect using IP address instead of name.
2. To put my server name and address in LMHOSTS.
3. Ping to my server name (succesfully).
The problem insists.
It seems that there is a problem with the exchange client (outlook98) in
win98.
Is there a way out?

Thanks
Fivos Adamidis

Connection problem in Win98+Outlook98+Exchange5.5

Post by Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Have you tried putting the server name & address in your HOSTS file?

Quote:>I was connecting through DUN to our corporate Exchange Server 5.5 with
>Outlook98 in win95. After a new, clean installation of Win98 and Outlook98,
>the client cannot connect to Exchange Server anymore.
>I' m getting the message "Server name cannot be resolved".
>I' ve already tried:
>1. To connect using IP address instead of name.
>2. To put my server name and address in LMHOSTS.
>3. Ping to my server name (succesfully).
>The problem insists.
>It seems that there is a problem with the exchange client (outlook98) in
>win98.
>Is there a way out?

Connection problem in Win98+Outlook98+Exchange5.5

Post by Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

What do you have set as your RPC Binding order. You can find it here in the
registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Exchange
Provider\RPC_Binding_Order

Quote:>Just retried it, including my exchange server address in the HOSTS file. It
>still cannot resolve the name.

Connection problem in Win98+Outlook98+Exchange5.5

Post by Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

As a quick test try moving the ncacn_ip_tcp to the front of the list. See if
it makes any difference.

Post by Fivos Adamidi » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Just retried it, including my exchange server address in the HOSTS file. It
still cannot resolve the name.

Connection problem in Win98+Outlook98+Exchange5.5

Post by Fivos Adamidi » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

The value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Exchange
Provider\RPC_Binding_Order is
"ncalrpc,ncacn_ip_tcp,ncacn_spx,ncacn_np,netbios,ncacn_vns_spp"

Fivos Adamidis

Quote:>What do you have set as your RPC Binding order. You can find it here in the
>registry:
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Exchange
>Provider\RPC_Binding_Order

Connection problem in Win98+Outlook98+Exchange5.5

Post by Fivos Adamidi » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I tried it, I rebooted, it doesn't work.

>As a quick test try moving the ncacn_ip_tcp to the front of the list. See
if
>it makes any difference.

Connection problem in Win98+Outlook98+Exchange5.5

Post by Mike » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

This may be a re-post and I'm sorry if it is.

I figured it out!

After much guess work, I found that I had to have client for Microsoft
networking installed in the network control panel.  I removed the family
logon client and added client for MS networks just before It began to work
so I'm not sure if it was the addition of Client for ms networks, or the
deletion of the family logon client.

I only have:
Client for MS networks
Dial-up adapter
TCP/IP

installed in the network control panel.

Hope this works for you and if not, do not hesitate to mail me at

may be able to save you some time.

Good Luck,

Mike

>I tried it, I rebooted, it doesn't work.

>>As a quick test try moving the ncacn_ip_tcp to the front of the list. See
>if
>>it makes any difference.

Connection problem in Win98+Outlook98+Exchange5.5

Post by Mike » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

This may be a re-post and I'm sorry if it is.

I figured it out!

After much guess work, I found that I had to have client for Microsoft
networking installed in the network control panel.  I removed the family
logon client and added client for MS networks just before It began to work
so I'm not sure if it was the addition of Client for ms networks, or the
deletion of the family logon client.

I only have:
Client for MS networks
Dial-up adapter
TCP/IP

installed in the network control panel.

Hope this works for you and if not, do not hesitate to mail me at

may be able to save you some time.

Good Luck,

Mike

>I was connecting through DUN to our corporate Exchange Server 5.5 with
>Outlook98 in win95. After a new, clean installation of Win98 and Outlook98,
>the client cannot connect to Exchange Server anymore.
>I' m getting the message "Server name cannot be resolved".
>I' ve already tried:
>1. To connect using IP address instead of name.
>2. To put my server name and address in LMHOSTS.
>3. Ping to my server name (succesfully).
>The problem insists.
>It seems that there is a problem with the exchange client (outlook98) in
>win98.
>Is there a way out?

>Thanks
>Fivos Adamidis

Connection problem in Win98+Outlook98+Exchange5.5

Post by Mike » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

This may be a re-post and I'm sorry if it is.

I figured it out!

After much guess work, I found that I had to have client for Microsoft
networking installed in the network control panel.  I removed the family
logon client and added client for MS networks just before It began to work
so I'm not sure if it was the addition of Client for ms networks, or the
deletion of the family logon client.

I only have:
Client for MS networks
Dial-up adapter
TCP/IP

installed in the network control panel.

Hope this works for you and if not, do not hesitate to mail me at

may be able to save you some time.

Good Luck,

Mike

>I tried it, I rebooted, it doesn't work.

>>As a quick test try moving the ncacn_ip_tcp to the front of the list. See
>if
>>it makes any difference.

Connection problem in Win98+Outlook98+Exchange5.5

Post by Mike » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Sorry for all these posts.  My client said that I was being rejected so I
kept on trying.

>This may be a re-post and I'm sorry if it is.

>I figured it out!

>After much guess work, I found that I had to have client for Microsoft
>networking installed in the network control panel.  I removed the family
>logon client and added client for MS networks just before It began to work
>so I'm not sure if it was the addition of Client for ms networks, or the
>deletion of the family logon client.

>I only have:
>Client for MS networks
>Dial-up adapter
>TCP/IP

>installed in the network control panel.

>Hope this works for you and if not, do not hesitate to mail me at

>may be able to save you some time.

>Good Luck,

>Mike

Connection problem in Win98+Outlook98+Exchange5.5

Post by Fivos Adamidi » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I tried it, I rebooted, it doesn't work.

>As a quick test try moving the ncacn_ip_tcp to the front of the list. See
if
>it makes any difference.

Connection problem in Win98+Outlook98+Exchange5.5

Post by Fivos Adamidi » Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Bingo!
Mike I can't tell you how grateful I am. I have spend quite some time with
this problem but I never thought of changing the client in the
Ntworks<--Control Panel.
Thanks again!

Fivos Adamidis

Post by Amiri Jone » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>This may be a re-post and I'm sorry if it is.

>I figured it out!

>After much guess work, I found that I had to have client for Microsoft
>networking installed in the network control panel.  I removed the family
>logon client and added client for MS networks just before It began to work
>so I'm not sure if it was the addition of Client for ms networks, or the
>deletion of the family logon client.

>I only have:
>Client for MS networks
>Dial-up adapter
>TCP/IP

>installed in the network control panel.

    Yeah, you have to have the MS Client installed to use Exchange 5.5 (and
5.0, I think).  Exchange relies exclusively upon domain-issued access tokens
to determine whether or not to grant an access request.  The only way to get
an access token is through a successful login in an NT domain.  The only way
to log into an NT domain is with the MS Client.  Ergo, to use Exchange with
the Exchange Server service is by installing the MS client.  Perfectly
logical, no?

1. Outlook98 and Exchange5.5 problem

Hello,

I have installed Exchange 5.5 with SP2 on my testserver(NT 4 SP4). After
that I installed Office 97 Pro (SP1) on the same PC. After this I could see
the public folders on the exchangeserver and I could see the permission-tab
in the properties of a folder I created.

I now installed Outlook98 on the same PC, but Now I only see one tab on the
same folder- why?

Regards

Soren Skovsen

2. mirror

3. Win98 and OL2K connection problems

4. Exchange5.5 and Outlook 2000 Daylight savings settings

5. Strange Exchange5 problem with IIS connection

6. Redundant Server In A Site.

7. XMerge

8. Outlook98 - PPTP - Exchange v5.5 Connection Problems

9. Outlook98 Connection Problems

10. Outlook98 - PPTP - Exchange v5.5 Connection Problems