Outlook Rules base on alias names

Post by georg » Thu, 01 May 2003 04:38:54

I there any way to creat a server side rule that will work
on on alias names to move email to a particular folder?
For example, if myself is an alias for me, I would like to
set up a rule that moves any email sent to

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Outlook Rules base on alias names

Post by Ed Woodric » Fri, 02 May 2003 00:23:16

You can add the address to a Public Folder, but not to a folder within your
own mailbox.

But a Outlook rule that runs on the server will perform the task.

> I there any way to creat a server side rule that will work
> on on alias names to move email to a particular folder?
> For example, if myself is an alias for me, I would like to
> set up a rule that moves any email sent to

> Any help is greatly appreciated.

Outlook Rules base on alias names

Post by George Lo » Fri, 02 May 2003 03:41:27

The problem that I am running into is Outlook will send all my email to the
designated folder, not just the email sent to the alias. I need the rule to
just work on the alias.

> You can add the address to a Public Folder, but not to a folder within
your
> own mailbox.

> But a Outlook rule that runs on the server will perform the task.

> > I there any way to creat a server side rule that will work
> > on on alias names to move email to a particular folder?
> > For example, if myself is an alias for me, I would like to
> > set up a rule that moves any email sent to

> > Any help is greatly appreciated.

Outlook Rules base on alias names

Post by Alexander Louie ( » Fri, 02 May 2003 08:35:56

Hi George,

You should still be able to do this with a rules wizard.  If you want mail

in the rule itself.  To do this, you would start a new rule and select
"check messags when they arrive", and then choose "sent to people or
distribution list"

Regards,

Alexander Louie
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

Outlook Rules base on alias names

Post by Ed Woodric » Sat, 03 May 2003 03:15:16

Yep, you are correct. Which is why the first part of my answer.

Also, you might be able to assign the alias to a distribution list and then
make yourself a part of the DL, I think that you will then see the DL list
and filter appropriately.

Ed Woodrick MVP - Exchange

> The problem that I am running into is Outlook will send all my email to
the
> designated folder, not just the email sent to the alias. I need the rule
> just work on the alias.

> > You can add the address to a Public Folder, but not to a folder within
> your
> > own mailbox.

> > But a Outlook rule that runs on the server will perform the task.

> > > I there any way to creat a server side rule that will work
> > > on on alias names to move email to a particular folder?
> > > For example, if myself is an alias for me, I would like to
> > > set up a rule that moves any email sent to

> > > Any help is greatly appreciated.

Outlook Rules base on alias names

Post by George Lo » Sun, 04 May 2003 03:25:21

How would you add the address to a public folder? This solution would work
for me.

> Yep, you are correct. Which is why the first part of my answer.

> Also, you might be able to assign the alias to a distribution list and
then
> make yourself a part of the DL, I think that you will then see the DL list
> and filter appropriately.

> Ed Woodrick MVP - Exchange

> > The problem that I am running into is Outlook will send all my email to
> the
> > designated folder, not just the email sent to the alias. I need the rule
> > just work on the alias.

> > > You can add the address to a Public Folder, but not to a folder within
> > your
> > > own mailbox.

> > > But a Outlook rule that runs on the server will perform the task.

Outlook Rules base on alias names

Post by Ed Woodric » Wed, 07 May 2003 06:54:29

Remove the alias from your account, add it to a Public Folder.

> How would you add the address to a public folder? This solution would work
> for me.

> > Yep, you are correct. Which is why the first part of my answer.

> > Also, you might be able to assign the alias to a distribution list and
> then
> > make yourself a part of the DL, I think that you will then see the DL
list
> > and filter appropriately.

> > Ed Woodrick MVP - Exchange

> > > The problem that I am running into is Outlook will send all my email
> > the
> > > designated folder, not just the email sent to the alias. I need the
rule
> > > just work on the alias.

> > > your

1. Setting auto reply to use a server based rule and not a client based rule

I have a user who needs to have an auto reply sent out but when they
receive e-mails to an account, but when I have tried to do this via
outlook in the rules wizard it tells me it is only a client based rule
and will not work when outlook is closed.  If anyone knows how to do
this so that I can have the server do this and I don't have to
dedicate a PC to do this for the account that would be great.

Thanks

Davide McGarr
HALO Branded Solutions

2. Exchange 5.0 Demo crashes on install

3. Rules based on name of attachment.

4. OWA & AOL Dailup - Hlp Pls.

5. Custom Recipients as ListServs

6. Automated (rules based) forms for Exchange Server / Outlook 97

7. Internet Idioms Bug?

8. Outlook Server Based Rules

9. rules in outlook 2000 to remove email based on content