Outlook 2000 Contact List

Post by Hank » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 03:02:32

I am attached to a Exchange 5.5 Server using Outlook 2000
in corporate mode.  When Sending a email to someone in my
contact list (not the global company address list) their
 Username (e-mail) address shows up and their
 Username (business fax) shows up .

Is their a way I can make the Business Fax disappear,
since I do not need to see their fax number when sending a
email.

Thx
  Hank..

Outlook 2000 Contact List

Post by Sue Mosher [MVP » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 03:57:04

Outlook considers fax numbers to be valid electronic addresses, since there are many client- and server-based components that can use such addresses.

One method to hide fax numbers from the address book is to prefix the fax number with one or more letters (maybe B for business fax, H for home, O for other). If the fax number begins with a letter, Outlook won't show it in the address book. This definitely works in Outlook 2000 and 2002.

At http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outlook_Solutions.htm, you'll find a Hide Fax Numbers utility that adds a text prefix to fax numbers for all your contacts and removes it when you really do need to use a fax number in an Outlook message.

Another way to avoid avoid having fax numbers appear in the address book is simply not to enter data in the fax fields. Put fax numbers in some other (non-phone) fields.

Microsoft has a Knowledgebase article at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305361 that explains further.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

> I am attached to a Exchange 5.5 Server using Outlook 2000
> in corporate mode.  When Sending a email to someone in my
> contact list (not the global company address list) their
>  Username (e-mail) address shows up and their
>  Username (business fax) shows up .

> Is their a way I can make the Business Fax disappear,
> since I do not need to see their fax number when sending a
> email.

> Thx
>   Hank..

Outlook 2000 Contact List

Post by Hank » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 04:27:48

Thx, adding the letter worked great.  I'll take a look at
the link you sent also.

   Hank

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Outlook considers fax numbers to be valid electronic

addresses, since there are many client- and server-based
components that can use such addresses.
Quote:

>One method to hide fax numbers from the address book is

to prefix the fax number with one or more letters (maybe B
for business fax, H for home, O for other). If the fax
number begins with a letter, Outlook won't show it in the
address book. This definitely works in Outlook 2000 and
2002.
Quote:

>At http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outlook_Solutions.htm,

you'll find a Hide Fax Numbers utility that adds a text
prefix to fax numbers for all your contacts and removes it
when you really do need to use a fax number in an Outlook
message.
Quote:

>Another way to avoid avoid having fax numbers appear in

the address book is simply not to enter data in the fax
fields. Put fax numbers in some other (non-phone) fields.
Quote:

>Microsoft has a Knowledgebase article at

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305361 that explains
further.

>--
>Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
>Outlook and Exchange solutions at http://www.slipstick.com
>Author of
>     Microsoft Outlook Programming: Jumpstart
>     for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
>     http://www.slipstick.com/books/jumpstart.htm

Quote:>> I am attached to a Exchange 5.5 Server using Outlook
2000
>> in corporate mode.  When Sending a email to someone in
my
>> contact list (not the global company address list)
their
>>  Username (e-mail) address shows up and their
>>  Username (business fax) shows up .

>> Is their a way I can make the Business Fax disappear,
>> since I do not need to see their fax number when
sending a
>> email.

>> Thx
>>   Hank..

>.

Outlook 2000 Contact List

Post by Chris Scharff [MVP » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 10:09:04

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:02:32 -0600, Hank wrote

Quote:> Is their a way I can make the Business Fax disappear,
> since I do not need to see their fax number when sending a
> email.

put that number in another field.

--
Chris Scharff
The Mail Resource Center

1. Exchange/Outlook 2000 contact list's

Hi:

I have recently built a 2000 exchange mail server and I am in the middle of
transferring everyone over from Sendmail in Unix.

Question:

Global Address book works fine...I can see any email address from AD, which
allows me to send e-mails to anyone within AD.

Problem:

Before Mail Store I was using Outlook 2000 with a "PST" file, these files
stored each user's personal address/contacts. When the user cuts these
addresses and adds them to the Mail Stores Contact list they are not able to
"Check Names" or sort or email by using the name of the contact. How can I
fix this?

I have told Outlook to search for names in the "contact " folder.

When I leave the Contact in the Personal Folders I do not have this
problem...but I want to do away with Personal Folders.

Rgds

Ulf

2. VPN to Exch server

3. How to move contact list b/w msft.outlook and exchange 2000 server owa contact

4. multiple address for single user

5. Contact Lists - Exchange 2000/Outlook

6. Exchange 5.5 on Win2k possible?

7. List Order Contacts in Outlook 2000

8. Is there a way to filter attachments?

9. How can i move or copy my microsoft outlook contact list to Exchange 2000

10. Cannot Get Contact List From Exchange In Outlook 2000

11. Sharing an Outlook Contact List with a network using Exchange Server 2000

12. how to sync OWA contacts with outlook 2000 contacts

13. Contacts in Mac Outlook 8.2.1 vs Outlook 2000 on Windows