Newbe Q: Outlook nor Exchange can retrieve Mail thru wingate on internet

Newbe Q: Outlook nor Exchange can retrieve Mail thru wingate on internet

Post by Huby SE » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

My configuration:
NT4 SP6, Exchange5.5 S.P.3 on a server, a client running Win98se and Wingate
3.05 routeur on an ADSL connection to the internet, (in France, using
ppptp); clients: Win98 outlook clients 97 and 2000, and several Mac Outlook
8.2.1

(note: the Mac's can retrieve mail via the LAN on the internet using Outlook
Express.)

Problems:

Question1
When I wish to retrieve or send mail from the internet through Exchange, I
need an RAS connection: How do I configure this RAS so it "dials" through
the DSL connection on the Wingate machine? In the history of Wingate I get a
DNS lookup from the server machine which does not resolve.. I've heard about
the 'MX' entry in the DNS server. Could this be the problem? what should I
enter in this MX record?
The strange thing is that I can use explorer on the server and all the W98
clients, so DNS resolving should work, no?

Question 2
When I try to retrieve email with the Outlook97 and 2K on clients through
the ADSL connection, (with my mail-providers wanadoo, Libertysurf and
voxpopuli.fr), I get every time this box "retrieving mail", than I get a new
box with the name of the provider (ex. wanadoo.fr), and I can't receive
mail. It takes ages before these boxes close.

I.M.H.O it is an DNS issue, or did I miss something in the Wingate setup?

I'm desperate, Please help!!

Thank you for your time,

Huby

Newbe Q: Outlook nor Exchange can retrieve Mail thru wingate on internet

Post by William Yue » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

Proabably you need to configure the pop3 proxy server of wingate so that the
it will retrieive mail on behalf of Exchang or Outlook from your ISP.. Also
you can configure to bypass the pop3 proxy and retrieve Mail directly.

William Yuen
 MCSE + I
.

> My configuration:
> NT4 SP6, Exchange5.5 S.P.3 on a server, a client running Win98se and
Wingate
> 3.05 routeur on an ADSL connection to the internet, (in France, using
> ppptp); clients: Win98 outlook clients 97 and 2000, and several Mac
Outlook
> 8.2.1

> (note: the Mac's can retrieve mail via the LAN on the internet using
Outlook
> Express.)

> Problems:

> Question1
> When I wish to retrieve or send mail from the internet through Exchange, I
> need an RAS connection: How do I configure this RAS so it "dials" through
> the DSL connection on the Wingate machine? In the history of Wingate I get
> DNS lookup from the server machine which does not resolve.. I've heard
about
> the 'MX' entry in the DNS server. Could this be the problem? what should I
> enter in this MX record?
> The strange thing is that I can use explorer on the server and all the W98
> clients, so DNS resolving should work, no?

> Question 2
> When I try to retrieve email with the Outlook97 and 2K on clients through
> the ADSL connection, (with my mail-providers wanadoo, Libertysurf and
> voxpopuli.fr), I get every time this box "retrieving mail", than I get a
new
> box with the name of the provider (ex. wanadoo.fr), and I can't receive
> mail. It takes ages before these boxes close.

> I.M.H.O it is an DNS issue, or did I miss something in the Wingate setup?

> I'm desperate, Please help!!

> Thank you for your time,

> Huby

Newbe Q: Outlook nor Exchange can retrieve Mail thru wingate on internet

Post by Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

There's a very nice and quite thorough on-line guide on how to connect your
Exchange Server to the Internet available here:

http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_smtp.htm
Exchange - SMTP

Gal

http://home.nbcin.com -- NBC Interactive Neighborhood
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.   NBC   NBC-IN

> My configuration:
> NT4 SP6, Exchange5.5 S.P.3 on a server, a client running Win98se and
Wingate
> 3.05 routeur on an ADSL connection to the internet, (in France, using
> ppptp); clients: Win98 outlook clients 97 and 2000, and several Mac
Outlook
> 8.2.1

> (note: the Mac's can retrieve mail via the LAN on the internet using
Outlook
> Express.)

> Problems:

> Question1
> When I wish to retrieve or send mail from the internet through Exchange, I
> need an RAS connection: How do I configure this RAS so it "dials" through
> the DSL connection on the Wingate machine? In the history of Wingate I get
> DNS lookup from the server machine which does not resolve.. I've heard
about
> the 'MX' entry in the DNS server. Could this be the problem? what should I
> enter in this MX record?
> The strange thing is that I can use explorer on the server and all the W98
> clients, so DNS resolving should work, no?

> Question 2
> When I try to retrieve email with the Outlook97 and 2K on clients through
> the ADSL connection, (with my mail-providers wanadoo, Libertysurf and
> voxpopuli.fr), I get every time this box "retrieving mail", than I get a
new
> box with the name of the provider (ex. wanadoo.fr), and I can't receive
> mail. It takes ages before these boxes close.

> I.M.H.O it is an DNS issue, or did I miss something in the Wingate setup?

> I'm desperate, Please help!!

> Thank you for your time,

> Huby

1. Newbe Q: Outlook nor Exchange can retrieve or send Mail thru wingate on internet

[...]

2. IMAP access to all Exchange server

3. Qs on using the IMC to route Internet mail from other connected Ex sites

4. Exchnage Server 5.5 as a List Server

5. Exchange 5.5: retrieving mail thru dial-up connection

6. what can i do?

7. Outlook 2000 connects to Exchange 2000 thru Internet

8. Installation of Trend Micro's Scan Mail on Active/Active Cluster

9. Outlook 2000 doesn't connect to Exchange 2000 thru Internet

10. How to connect Outlook to Exchange Server thru TCP/IP Internet connection

11. Outlook 2000 doesn't connect to Exchange 2000 thru Internet

12. Sending Mail thru Exchange by the Internet???

13. Secure E-mail from Exchange thru Internet