Multiple users on a computer (Multiple profile selector)

Multiple users on a computer (Multiple profile selector)

Post by Keith Bast » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Has anyone seen a manager for Exchange Profiles that would allow
multiple people to access their mail accounts via a "shared" computer?
(about 30 people in the Warehouse and other sections that don't have a
computer of their own) I just need something that can make it easy
enough for a forklift driver to be able to check his e-mail without
having to go through the rigormole of logging on, waiting on exchange
to load, logging out, etc....

My first idea was the web based system and that is likely what I'll
use but I want to check other options as well.

Thanks in advance
Keith Bastin

Multiple users on a computer (Multiple profile selector)

Post by Amiri Jone » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Has anyone seen a manager for Exchange Profiles that would allow
> multiple people to access their mail accounts via a "shared" computer?
> (about 30 people in the Warehouse and other sections that don't have a
> computer of their own) I just need something that can make it easy
> enough for a forklift driver to be able to check his e-mail without
> having to go through the rigormole of logging on, waiting on exchange
> to load, logging out, etc....

> My first idea was the web based system and that is likely what I'll
> use but I want to check other options as well.

        Create multiple profiles, configure Exchange/Outlook to prompt for a
profile to be used at startup (Tools/Options/General tab in the program),
and in each user's profile, go to the Exchange Server service, select the
Advanced tab, and deselect the 'Use network security during login' option.
Click OK to close everything out.  Once you've done this, when somebody
opens Exchange/Outlook, they will be prompted to choose a profile, and then
prompted for an NT account name, password, and domain.  This second box
must be filled out correctly in order to access the mailbox selected in the
first box.  As long as you don't use Personal Folders, nobody will be able
to read anybody else's mail without knowing that person's password.

Multiple users on a computer (Multiple profile selector)

Post by Amiri Jone » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Has anyone seen a manager for Exchange Profiles that would allow
> multiple people to access their mail accounts via a "shared" computer?
> (about 30 people in the Warehouse and other sections that don't have a
> computer of their own) I just need something that can make it easy
> enough for a forklift driver to be able to check his e-mail without
> having to go through the rigormole of logging on, waiting on exchange
> to load, logging out, etc....

        Create a mail profile for each user on the PC in question.  When you're
configuring the Exchange Server service, go to the Advanced tab and
deselect the 'Use network security during login' checkbox.  This will cause
a user to be prompted for a account, password, and domain when they attempt
to access a mailbox.  Next, go into Outlook/Exchange and go to the
Tools/Options menu.  Go to the General tab, and select the option to Prompt
for a profile at startup.  This will cause a dialog box to come up when the
mail program is opened, with a drop box containing all the profiles defined
on the PC.  Selecting one will then bring up the password box.  With the
network security option off, nobody will be able access anybody else's
mailbox unless they know that person's NT account password.

Multiple users on a computer (Multiple profile selector)

Post by Chan Kar Ta » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

This works fine for multiple users using only one computer at all times.
How about users with roaming profiles that would like to use any
computer at anytime ?

I have tried creating roaming profiles on multiple computers, with personal
folders and
personal address book residing in users' home directories. The problem is,
users
have to log-off the network and log-in again to have access to their user
home directories.
This problem does not exist for MSMail client.

Any ideas anyone ??