OWA Front-End /Back-end not working

Post by RichieRic » Thu, 01 May 2003 06:22:56

I have Exchange 2K Enterprise Edition on Win2k Sp3 in a Front-end/Back-end
Configuration.
I have installed Exchange 2K into an existing 5.5 site.  All went well
except for the front-end server not directing the traffic to the back-end
server.  I have seen some postings about disjointed DNS namespaces causing
issues.  I do have a disjointed DNS namespace for Active Directory
(corp.xxx.com) versus the SMTP domain. ( xxx.com).

The issue is this OWA will not seem to work. If I connect to the Back-end
server, the OWA logs me in fine. It seems the front-end does not know about
the back end.

Any troublshooting tips or idea please?

OWA Front-End /Back-end not working

Post by Ed Woodric » Fri, 02 May 2003 00:26:56

You'll probably need to add some host headers to the IIS servers. Look in
TechNet for using a Front End Server with a Mailbox Cluster for some of the
details.

Quote:> I have Exchange 2K Enterprise Edition on Win2k Sp3 in a Front-end/Back-end
> Configuration.
> I have installed Exchange 2K into an existing 5.5 site.  All went well
> except for the front-end server not directing the traffic to the back-end
> server.  I have seen some postings about disjointed DNS namespaces causing
> issues.  I do have a disjointed DNS namespace for Active Directory
> (corp.xxx.com) versus the SMTP domain. ( xxx.com).

> The issue is this OWA will not seem to work. If I connect to the Back-end
> server, the OWA logs me in fine. It seems the front-end does not know
about
> the back end.

> Any troublshooting tips or idea please?

1. OWA: Back End Server Works Fine, Front End Server Just Gives Logon Challenge Repeatedly

The subject line pretty much says it all. My backend server, front end server,
and client machine are all on the same hub. From the client machine, if I go
to http://back.mydomain.com/exchange/my_user_name, everything works fine. I
get the logon challenge, enter my user name and password, and up comes my
Outlook mailbox. However, if I go to
http://front.mydomain.com/exchange/my_user_name, I get the logon challenge,
but no matter what I enter, I just get the challenge again. The server is set
to be a front-end server and has been rebooted. Any ideas?

--Eric

2. Parent folders reflecting subfolder content

3. OWA in Front-End / Back-End Topology

4. backup exchange over a network

5. OWA front-end accesses all but one back-end

6. how do you setup E2k with Verizon dSL

7. Exchange 5.5 OWA Front End with Exchange 2000 Back End

8. Server upgrade

9. OWA Front End/Back End

10. Problem with Exchange2000 OWA Front-End / Back-End solution

11. No front end/back end OWA for standard exchange2k

12. question about OWA and front-end/back-end configuration

13. OWA using front end/clustered back end configuration