Sending internet email from remote exchange clients via dialup networking.

Sending internet email from remote exchange clients via dialup networking.

Post by Jeff Hughe » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

We have exchange clients dialing into the exchange server via RAS from NT
4.0 SP3 workstations. They can send and receive all email just fine. We have
the Internet Mail Service setup on the LAN to use ETRN and download email
from our domain every x mins (all works well). When one of the remote sites
gets an internet email, it gets routed to them just fine, if they try to
REPLY to that message they get a non delivery report saying there was no
transport. If they try to originate an internet email message such as

Why can users on the network send internet email without issue, while the
remote users get this error each time??

Thanks for any help.

Jeff Hughes.

Post by Amiri Jone » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00

>We have exchange clients dialing into the exchange server via RAS from NT
>4.0 SP3 workstations. They can send and receive all email just fine. We
have
>the Internet Mail Service setup on the LAN to use ETRN and download email
>from our domain every x mins (all works well). When one of the remote sites
>gets an internet email, it gets routed to them just fine, if they try to
>REPLY to that message they get a non delivery report saying there was no
>transport. If they try to originate an internet email message such as

>Why can users on the network send internet email without issue, while the
>remote users get this error each time??

    From the remote site, open the Site Addressing object and go to the
Routing tab.  Is there an entry for the address type SMTP, pointing to a
server in the remote site?  If not, then that's your problem; the servers in
that site don't know where to deliver SMTP mail.  Open the IMS in the main
site, and go to the Address Space tab.  The address type should be SMTP,
address space *, cost 1, and (if you're using 5.5) the scope should be
Organization.  Click Recalculate Routing at the IMS site, then let directory
replication run again.  That should fix your problem.

1. No Transport Provider when receive email via Exchange Client and reply via Internet Mail Client

We are using MS Exchange 5.5, for laptop users, they got 2 outlook
profile. In the office, we set them up using MS Exchange Client with
message delivery to personal folder. When they access remotely
(dialup), we set them up using Internet mail pointing to the same
personal folder.

The problem we encountered is:

When somebody within the office send message to laptop user, and the
laptop users read those message in the office (i.e. via Exchange
client), when they try to reply to this receieved message during
remote dialup, they got an error message saying 'No Transport Provider
for this receipent......'. If they reply the message by re-typing the
complete email address, it will send.

It seems to me the Exchange Client and Internet Mail client treat the
reply-to address differently. Exchange keep the 'user name' as reply
to and Internet mail keep the 'email address' as reply to. Are there
anyway to force Exchange 5.5 to keep the complete email address as
'reply to' especially when the 'deliver to' destination is a personal
folder that probably might used by Internet Mail client ??

Any help most appreciated. B.Rgds/KL

2. Clients emails cannot be accessed

3. sending mail to a remote host via dialup with E2K

4. Can any recommend any products for Exchange server management ?

5. remote sites not able to send external email via Exchange Server

6. Can't retrieve internet e-mail using exchange server

7. Exchange Client - automatically starts Dialup Networking

8. Port 25 connects on dial up NOT from LAN

9. Warning email to users sending info via email over internet

10. sending internet email from remote location using Exchange

11. Client dialup networking tab has no entries

12. configure Exchange under SBS to send email via Internet

13. Sending the whole company domain mail thru dialup networking