Exchange server & intranet

Post by Tom van den Bro » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

We are using an exchange server for our corporate e-mail, the exchange
server supports POP. So we can check our mail using an ASP POP client,
but we cannot send mail using the intranet.. Sending mail though the
intranet is needed for workflow and automation applications..

The exchange server isn't supporting SMTP, I can't open a telnet
session to the SMTP port (25), so my ASP sendmail component seems to
be useless.

Can anyone help us with this problem (components/code)?

Greetings,

Tom van den Broek

Exchange server & intranet

Post by David Ever » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

In case you don't use the SMTP from exchange, did you try to install the
smtp-server included in IIS4 (option pack 3) ?

Regards,
David.

Exchange server & intranet

Post by Tom van den Bro » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Yes I did, on the intranet machine, so we have :
- An intranet server (IIS4, SMTP server)
- An exchange server..

within the same network

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 19:43:39 +0100, "David Evers"

>In case you don't use the SMTP from exchange, did you try to install the
>smtp-server included in IIS4 (option pack 3) ?

>Regards,
>David.

Exchange server & intranet

Post by Douglas Buchana » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

If you don't have an IMS Connector (or the service is stopped), you will be
able to connect via POP3, but not SMTP. Since it appears the SMTP service
for IIS is running on a separate server (along with IIS), it is not going to
do you any good for connecting to the Exchange box.

>Hi,

>We are using an exchange server for our corporate e-mail, the exchange
>server supports POP. So we can check our mail using an ASP POP client,
>but we cannot send mail using the intranet.. Sending mail though the
>intranet is needed for workflow and automation applications..

>The exchange server isn't supporting SMTP, I can't open a telnet
>session to the SMTP port (25), so my ASP sendmail component seems to
>be useless.

>Can anyone help us with this problem (components/code)?

>Greetings,

>Tom van den Broek

Exchange server & intranet

Post by Wesley Peac » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Curious....

POP3 mail requires two components, a POP3 server to receive the mail and an
SMTP server to send the mail.

You must configure the IMS on the Exchange Server to support sending of SMTP
mail via the Inter/Intranet.

You did not say what version of Exchange Server you are running, so assuming
you are running Exchange Server 5.x open the Exchange Server Administrator
and select File | New Other | Internet Mail Service. Follow the directions
in the wizard to configure the Service.

Also, since you are using a custom ASP POP3 client you will have to be sure
you have SMTP relay enabled to insure these clients can send mail.

I'd also suggest you take a look at Outlook Express.

Wesley H. Peace III

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands? -Ed
Dussault

>Hi,

>We are using an exchange server for our corporate e-mail, the exchange
>server supports POP. So we can check our mail using an ASP POP client,
>but we cannot send mail using the intranet.. Sending mail though the
>intranet is needed for workflow and automation applications..

>The exchange server isn't supporting SMTP, I can't open a telnet
>session to the SMTP port (25), so my ASP sendmail component seems to
>be useless.

>Can anyone help us with this problem (components/code)?

>Greetings,

>Tom van den Broek

1. Exchange Server & Intranet Server

I currently have five NT servers configured at my company - soon to have a
sixth for our company financial program and SQL

PDC - (NT 4.0) Exchange 5.0 server (soon to upgrade to 5.5) - Dual PII 266
256mb
BDC - (NT 4.0) IIS 4.0 server running my web site & print services - PII 233
128mb
BDC - (NT 4.0) Fileserver - PII 266 128mb
BDC - (NT 3.51) RAS & Fax Server - 486/66 32mb RAM
BDC - (NT 3.51) Mac File & Print server - P150 112mb RAM

The NT 4.0 machines have plenty of hard drive space, while the 3.51 machines
are destined for upgrades -

I'm looking for suggestions as to where I should place my Intranet server -
any takers?

2. Upgrade standard version to enterprise edition.

3. Exchange & Intranet Integration

4. Disabling Tracking Options - DR / RR

5. Exchange & Intranet

6. PDC, BDC account replication problem

7. Web Server on intranet - IIS4 or Exchange Server???

8. POP3 users

9. Outlook & Intranet

10. Integration of Outlook Web Access & Intranet

11. Echange & Intranet

12. Help: Intranet, Contact, and Exchange Server 5.5

13. Differneces in Exchange Server & Exchange Enterprise Server