LDAP Directory search

Post by paul » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Is it possible using Outlook 98 or Outlook Express to use Exchange as an
LDAP Directory server and actually browse the LDAP Address list.

Having added the LDAP service to Outlook and created a new message I choose
the LDAP directory and the Browse list is empty.

I know that i can search the list and do a find and add the names to PAB but
this is very long winded.

LDAP Directory search

Post by Chris Schar » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

LDAP is not a browsing protocol. It is a query and response or at
least that's they way it appears to work after having looked through
the relevant RFCs.

Chris Scharff
Exchange Administrator
BV Solutions Group

#include std_disclaim.h

Quote:>Is it possible using Outlook 98 or Outlook Express to use Exchange as an
>LDAP Directory server and actually browse the LDAP Address list.

>Having added the LDAP service to Outlook and created a new message I choose
>the LDAP directory and the Browse list is empty.

>I know that i can search the list and do a find and add the names to PAB but
>this is very long winded.

1. LDAP for Directory Search?

We are looking for an alternative to our current directory for e-mail
addresses. It needs to be one that is accessible to people outside of our
organization. Since we are likely going to convert the whole enterprise to
Exchange 5.5 Enterprise, LDAP seems like a good solution. Has anyone done
much with this to make it available from outside their organization?

From the looks of it, I thought it would be simple. I tried configuring a
new directory service account. I entered in the server's FQDN, and my
username and password. Then I tried Start|Find|People, and selected my new
directory service. That service returned the response "The specified
directory service has denied access..." I proceeded to try logging in as
domain/username. Again I received the same response. I had left the default
value for the port number in the exchange server as well as my directory
service properties. The protocol is enabled, and everything else regarding
it is configured as default. Does anything else need to be configured to
enable LDAP to work this way? Should I be able to use (telnet [servers IP
address] 389) and get a response the same way that the port for SMTP
responds? When I try, the telnet session times out. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

2. Site connector/replication Problems

3. LDAP - How to search Directory for SMTP addresses?

4. Message size?

5. OutlookXP search at Directory Service-(Ldap)

6. synchronization problem

7. Change permissions on LDAP directory using LDAP client v3

8. Exchange Server Scripting vs. Rule.dll

9. Slow LDAP API Search

10. Address Lists Custom Search LDAP Base object

11. LDAP searches of AD

12. Very long time searching external LDAP

13. LDAP search based on Organization unit