MS Exchange Client for Macintosh says NT Exchange server

MS Exchange Client for Macintosh says NT Exchange server

Post by lee1 » Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> We installed the Microsoft Exchange Client for Macintosh application v. 4.0 on
> a Power Macintosh running under System 7.5.5 and Open Transport 1.1.2 using the
> TCP/IP protocol (not AppleTalk).  However, we can't get it to read mail from
> the Exchange server (SP2) running on Windows NT 4.0.

> We can ping the server IP address OK.  In the Microsoft Exchange Server
> properties, we can enter the server name and the user mailbox name and push the
> "Check Name" button, and it seems to find the mailbox just fine, because it
> changes the server and mailbox names from the aliases to the full names and
> underlines them.  This same user mailbox works just fine from a Windows 95
> Exchange client.

> However, when we start the client application, a dialog box error is displayed
> saying:

>     "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable.

>     "You can retry connecting to the server using the network, or work
>     offline and connect using dial-up networking.

>     "Network problems are preventing connection to the Microsoft
>     Exchange Server computer.  Contact your system administrator if this
>     condition persists."

> The client then continues and gets other dialog error messages indicating that
> the server mail folders are not accessible.

I have almost the identical problem, except I am connecting via OT/PPP
1.0.  When I enter the IP address of my Exchange Server and the mailbox
name, the Check Name button will always return an error the first time:
 "The name cannot be resolved".  When I click OK and do a Check Name
again (without changing anything!) it finds the name of the Exchange
Server (Oscar) and the correct mailbox.  Great, but when I run the
Exchange client, I get the dreaded "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is
unavailable" error.

I've tried all of the suggestions in this thread so far.  If anyone can
offer any more suggestions, I'd be happy to send you e-mail once I get
Exchange working!

-=Shawn Lee
-=University of Illinois

Post by Wilts, » Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>> We installed the Microsoft Exchange Client for Macintosh application v.
4.0 on
>> a Power Macintosh running under System 7.5.5 and Open Transport 1.1.2
using the
>> TCP/IP protocol (not AppleTalk).  However, we can't get it to read mail from
>> the Exchange server (SP2) running on Windows NT 4.0.

>> We can ping the server IP address OK.  In the Microsoft Exchange Server
>> properties, we can enter the server name and the user mailbox name and
push the
>> "Check Name" button, and it seems to find the mailbox just fine, because it
>> changes the server and mailbox names from the aliases to the full names and
>> underlines them.  This same user mailbox works just fine from a Windows 95
>> Exchange client.

>> However, when we start the client application, a dialog box error is
displayed
>> saying:

>>     "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable.

>>     "You can retry connecting to the server using the network, or work
>>     offline and connect using dial-up networking.

>>     "Network problems are preventing connection to the Microsoft
>>     Exchange Server computer.  Contact your system administrator if this
>>     condition persists."

>> The client then continues and gets other dialog error messages
indicating that
>> the server mail folders are not accessible.

>I have almost the identical problem, except I am connecting via OT/PPP
>1.0.  When I enter the IP address of my Exchange Server and the mailbox
>name, the Check Name button will always return an error the first time:
> "The name cannot be resolved".  When I click OK and do a Check Name
>again (without changing anything!) it finds the name of the Exchange
>Server (Oscar) and the correct mailbox.  Great, but when I run the
>Exchange client, I get the dreaded "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is
>unavailable" error.

>I've tried all of the suggestions in this thread so far.  If anyone can
>offer any more suggestions, I'd be happy to send you e-mail once I get
>Exchange working!

I'm not sure if I've responded to this thread, so I'll respond again.  For
starters, ensure that AppleTalk is turned ON.  In the RC 1 client,
AppleTalk must be on on you'll get the "insufficient resources" message.
The fix for this is in internal testing now so I expect we'll see it before
5.0 goes final.

Secondly, make sure that your default search domain (in the MacTCP or
TCP/IP control panels) is the same as your primary domain controller.  In
OpenTransport, the default can be different, but you'll need to add an
entry in the additional domain lists that matches the PDC domain.  This is
due to the way that names are passed around in the NT domain (not fully
qualified), and the fact that the Mac doesn't have a WINS client.

I've heard of over problems that were fixed by going to OpenTransport 1.1.2.

I have no problems with MacTCP and FreePPP on my LC520, and also no
problems with OpenTransport 1.1.2 over Ethernet on my PowerMac.

--

Ed Wilts

Work: (250) 387-5302
Home: (250) 385-4612