Check names not working - Public and personal address books

Check names not working - Public and personal address books

Post by Adam Ken » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

I'm getting a problem where some clients (a slowly increasing number) are
not able to use the check names function in their Exchange client - either
against their personal address books or the public ones on the server.
Upgrading the clients to Outlook 97 has in some cases only partially fixed
it, in others, it's done nothing.

This problem also means that it is impossible to send to an internet email
address unless that address is selected from one of the address books. The
partial fix I mentioned before is that some of the clients using Outlook CAN
send to these email addresses.

Our admins have known about the problem for a fair while and I believe have
placed it in the too-hard basket. Their solution is "We're upgrading all of
the clients to Outlook 97 in July - let's see if that fixes it".

If anyone can help me with this problem I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks in anticipation,

Adam Kent
Lowly schmuck,
Dilbert-esque Corporation

Check names not working - Public and personal address books

Post by Sue Mosher [MVP » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

The most important thing to do is check the settings on the Addressing tab
of the profile Properties dialog. The address lists to be checked are at the
bottom of the dialog.
--
Sue Mosher
Author of "The Microsoft Outlook E-mail and Fax Guide"

Quote:> Hi there,

> I'm getting a problem where some clients (a slowly increasing number) are
> not able to use the check names function in their Exchange client - either
> against their personal address books or the public ones on the server.
> Upgrading the clients to Outlook 97 has in some cases only partially fixed
> it, in others, it's done nothing.

> This problem also means that it is impossible to send to an internet email
> address unless that address is selected from one of the address books. The
> partial fix I mentioned before is that some of the clients using Outlook
CAN
> send to these email addresses.

> Our admins have known about the problem for a fair while and I believe
have
> placed it in the too-hard basket. Their solution is "We're upgrading all
of
> the clients to Outlook 97 in July - let's see if that fixes it".

> If anyone can help me with this problem I'd be eternally grateful.

> Thanks in anticipation,

> Adam Kent
> Lowly schmuck,
> Dilbert-esque Corporation

Check names not working - Public and personal address books

Post by Adam Ken » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for that.

I'll check that, but I'm pretty sure that it's not something so simple. I
work in a Tech Support department, and while I don't claim to be infallible,
I think that between the 15 of us we would have picked up a problem like
that.

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

thanks and regards,

Adam.

>The most important thing to do is check the settings on the Addressing tab
>of the profile Properties dialog. The address lists to be checked are at
the
>bottom of the dialog.
>--
>Sue Mosher
>Author of "The Microsoft Outlook E-mail and Fax Guide"
>Slipstick Systems, Moscow
>http://www.slipstick.com/exchange/

>> Hi there,

>> I'm getting a problem where some clients (a slowly increasing number) are
>> not able to use the check names function in their Exchange client -
either
>> against their personal address books or the public ones on the server.
>> Upgrading the clients to Outlook 97 has in some cases only partially
fixed
>> it, in others, it's done nothing.

>> This problem also means that it is impossible to send to an internet
email
>> address unless that address is selected from one of the address books.
The
>> partial fix I mentioned before is that some of the clients using Outlook
>CAN
>> send to these email addresses.

>> Our admins have known about the problem for a fair while and I believe
>have
>> placed it in the too-hard basket. Their solution is "We're upgrading all
>of
>> the clients to Outlook 97 in July - let's see if that fixes it".

>> If anyone can help me with this problem I'd be eternally grateful.

>> Thanks in anticipation,

>> Adam Kent
>> Lowly schmuck,
>> Dilbert-esque Corporation

1. Check Names goes to Personal Address Book first

When I type a name like 'Sarah' into Outlook 97 or 98 connected to
Exchange 5.5, it will go and put a Sarah from my personal address book
instead of the Global address book.  This can be very annoying if I
write an e-mail in a hurry because it could easily go to the wrong
person.

Is there a way to stop this?

Regards
Tim

--
"All those Silicon Valley billionaires aren't even geeks - they're Gap-
heads in rumpled khakis and Lands' End Polos; they're like less

2. Find owner of SMTP address

3. Keep Personal Address in Contacts rather than Personal Address Book

4. Problem with mailbox creation

5. Exchange 5.5 host unreachable in private network

6. OL98 Automatic Name Check does not work

7. EXCHANGE WILDCARDS

8. Automatic Name Checking not working

9. Auto Name checking not working in Outlook 98

10. Check Name works but then clent can not find server

11. Automatic Name Checking not working

12. Works DB to Personal Address Book