Need to change client profiles after upgrade ?

Need to change client profiles after upgrade ?

Post by Paul » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:14:06

I'm planning an upgrade to Exchange 2000 from 5.5.  I've
looked at both the in place and moving mailboxes methods
and seem to favor the moving mailboxes method.  My
Exchange site is rather small, 45 users, 16 Public Folders
but the "move" seemed less drastic than the "in place"
upgrade.
If I go ahead with this plan, will I need to change the
server name in each of my Exchange clients profiles ?
Is it possible to rename the server after all mailboxes
are moved ?  In 5.5 this was not recommended or even
possible I believe.

Thanks

Paul

Need to change client profiles after upgrade ?

Post by Kevin Mille » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 00:42:20

All of the outlook client will change the server name for you as they notice
there mailbox has been homed to another server.

--
~Kevinm WLKMMAS

Quote:> I'm planning an upgrade to Exchange 2000 from 5.5.  I've
> looked at both the in place and moving mailboxes methods
> and seem to favor the moving mailboxes method.  My
> Exchange site is rather small, 45 users, 16 Public Folders
> but the "move" seemed less drastic than the "in place"
> upgrade.
> If I go ahead with this plan, will I need to change the
> server name in each of my Exchange clients profiles ?
> Is it possible to rename the server after all mailboxes
> are moved ?  In 5.5 this was not recommended or even
> possible I believe.

> Thanks

> Paul

1. Outlook clients cannot connect after change to MAPI profile

Windows 2000 workstations with Outlook 2000 with MAPI profiles connected to
Exchange 5.5 mailbox.  Mailbox is migrated to Exchange 2000 and MAPI profile
is updated to new Exchange 2000 server, where the user's new mailbox
resides.

Exchange 5.5 server is shut off after the migration.  Outlook MAPI client
cannot connect and retrieve mail from Exchange 2000 server.

If the MAPI profile is DELETED and RECREATED instead of being modified to
point to Exchange 2K instead of Exchange 5.5, all works fine.

What is the problem here?

TIA!
--
Rick Kingslan  MCSE+I 4 & 2K,  MCT
Microsoft MVP - Windows NT/2000

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is
 indistinguishable from magic."
                                       Arthur C. Clarke

2. Why Journal in OL97 is turned on by default ?

3. Changing outlook profile to point to exchange profile in different site

4. Accessing public folders via IIS

5. Roaming Outlook Profiles using mandatory user profiles - 3.51 clients, 4.0 server, 5.0 Exchange

6. Store file fragmentation - how to resolve

7. Client Access Licenses needed for Exchange 2000 Upgrade

8. OWA can't view Excel attachment

9. Name Changes-Need to know how to change mailbox name

10. changing profile with using a script...

11. How to Change Profile During Login?

12. Help needed with Simple MAPI and profiles

13. Server Name Change & Profiles