Windows XP - Outlook XP logon error to Exchange 2000 SP2

Windows XP - Outlook XP logon error to Exchange 2000 SP2

Post by Frank Mireck » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 03:01:16

We have a client that is connecting via a Cisco VPN to our
HQ office. The VPN client seems to be working fine, I can
ping and resolve the Exchange server and see the client's
IP on the Exchange server with a NETSTAT command. However
when the client opens Outlook XP they are prompted for
username, password & Domain as usual however, they enter
it once then are prompted a second time, then are given
the following error message:

"Your logon information was incorrect. Check your username
and domain, then type your password again. If your account
is new or if your administrator requested a password
change your will need to click Change Password then logon
with your new password."

Can anyone help? I have logged on locally to this account
and the user can connect fine using OWA, so the username,
password and domain are fine.

Any help is much appreciated,
Frank Mirecki

Windows XP - Outlook XP logon error to Exchange 2000 SP2

Post by Ed Woodric » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 05:59:06

Can the client attach directly to the network and work correctly?

Is the client receiving DNS information from the same server that the
Exchange Server and domain controllers are pointed to?

And is there ANY filtering on the Cisco?

In general, a VPN should perform exactly as the client located on the local
network, there is no difference.  Problems are often attributed to incorrect
name resolution, filtering, or NAT translations.

Quote:> We have a client that is connecting via a Cisco VPN to our
> HQ office. The VPN client seems to be working fine, I can
> ping and resolve the Exchange server and see the client's
> IP on the Exchange server with a NETSTAT command. However
> when the client opens Outlook XP they are prompted for
> username, password & Domain as usual however, they enter
> it once then are prompted a second time, then are given
> the following error message:

> "Your logon information was incorrect. Check your username
> and domain, then type your password again. If your account
> is new or if your administrator requested a password
> change your will need to click Change Password then logon
> with your new password."

> Can anyone help? I have logged on locally to this account
> and the user can connect fine using OWA, so the username,
> password and domain are fine.

> Any help is much appreciated,
> Frank Mirecki

Windows XP - Outlook XP logon error to Exchange 2000 SP2

Post by Frank Mireck » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:02:15

Yes the client is connected fine via the VPN, they can
browse the network and I can run Netstat -na on Exchange
and see the client's IP address with connections to the
Exchange server, it just keeps prompting as if the
password was incorrect. The password is correct, we even
tried changing it. Still no luck.

Any other things that may help?????

Thanks,
Frank

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Can the client attach directly to the network and work
correctly?

>Is the client receiving DNS information from the same
server that the
>Exchange Server and domain controllers are pointed to?

>And is there ANY filtering on the Cisco?

>In general, a VPN should perform exactly as the client

located on the local
Quote:>network, there is no difference.  Problems are often

Post by Dave Gov » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 14:52:37

> [...]

corrupt.  I suspect the XP client updated to SP1 or
Office XP SP1 or 2.  To verify if this is the problem,
open the registry (regedit) on the client.  Go to
HKEY_local_machine, Software, then to Microsoft then to
RPC and finally to ClientProtocols.  On the right you
should have approx 6 string entries.  You probably have
2.  The ncacn_np for named pipe.  That is why you are
getting rejected by the exchange server.  Contact me or
Microsoft to get the correct strings if you find they are
missing.  Good luck.

Windows XP - Outlook XP logon error to Exchange 2000 SP2

Post by Frank Mireck » Sun, 22 Sep 2002 03:19:53

Thanks for the suggestion I'll get the client to look into
that and let you know.

Thanks,
Frank

Post by Frank Mireck » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 22:45:35

You're right the client only has 2. They have:
(Default)
ncarn_np

From others PC's I believe it should contain:
ncan_http                    rpcrt4.dll
ncan_ip_tcp                  rpcrt4.dll
ncan_nb_tcp                  rpcrt4.dll
ncadg_ip_udp                 rpcrt4.dll

Is this correct?

If this is the answer, I can't believe it, we've been
checking everything.

message

>>>our
>>>can
>>>client's
>>>However
for
>>>enter
>>given

>>>username
>>>account
>>>logon

>>>account
>>>username,

>>>.
>>>Frank, it sounds like the RPC in the registry is
>>corrupt.  I suspect the XP client updated to SP1 or
>>Office XP SP1 or 2.  To verify if this is the problem,
>>open the registry (regedit) on the client.  Go to
>>HKEY_local_machine, Software, then to Microsoft then to
>>RPC and finally to ClientProtocols.  On the right you
>>should have approx 6 string entries.  You probably have
>>2.  The ncacn_np for named pipe.  That is why you are
>>getting rejected by the exchange server.  Contact me or
>>Microsoft to get the correct strings if you find they
are
>>missing.  Good luck.
>>.

>.

1. windows XP outlook XP exchange 2000

I'm running a windows 2000 domain with exchange 2000
installed on my server SP2 for both exchange and windows
2000

my client is a windows XP computer with office XP as my
exchange client

My problem comes in with outlook XP installed on Windows
XP when i send mail outlook fails and does not send my
mail. if i use word to edit my email text it tells me in
a word box that "a fatial error has occurred in Outlook.
the data in your envelope has been lost, but your
document is still available." if i do not use word to
edit my email test outlook just closes.

I have already recreated the exchange box.
In a windows 2000 client environment with outlook XP it
works fine

2. Can't Upgrade to 5.5!

3. Exchange 2000, Outlook XP on Windows XP hangs

4. Really irritating IM error

5. Exchange 2000 SP3 Windows XP/Office XP Connectivity Problem

6. Exchange Folder in Front End Server

7. Outlook XP logon error to Exchange 2000 w/SP3

8. Uninstall Service Pack 1 Exchange

9. Windows XP, Office XP & Server 2000

10. Outlook XP to Exch 2000 Logon Error

11. Exchange 2000 / Outlook 2000 and Windows XP Home Edition

12. Outlook XP up against Exchange 2000 SP2

13. Error Installing Exchange 2000 Trial on Windows XP Pro