slow response times

Post by Colin Bond » Sat, 27 Jan 2001 07:31:49

Within the last two weeks we have seen a serious decline in performance on
our exchange server. We are running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on WinNT 4.0 SP5 using
Outlook 2000 and mac clients. The main issue is that manipulating messages
that contain attachments is very slow, regardless of how large the
attachment is (even 5k). The system is also just generally slower overall.
We recently installed Symantec Antivirus for Microsoft Exchange on our
server for virus protection and I was thinking this was probably the cause
but I wanted to find out if anyone had any experience with this. We have
plenty of space available on the server and have run optimizer recently.
thanks
Colin Bondi

slow response times

Post by Mark Arnol » Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:37:04

And when you switched AV off ?

--
Mark Arnold,MCSE

Quote:> Within the last two weeks we have seen a serious decline in performance on
> our exchange server. We are running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on WinNT 4.0 SP5
using
> Outlook 2000 and mac clients. The main issue is that manipulating messages
> that contain attachments is very slow, regardless of how large the
> attachment is (even 5k). The system is also just generally slower overall.
> We recently installed Symantec Antivirus for Microsoft Exchange on our
> server for virus protection and I was thinking this was probably the cause
> but I wanted to find out if anyone had any experience with this. We have
> plenty of space available on the server and have run optimizer recently.
> thanks
> Colin Bondi

slow response times

Post by Fredt » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:27:33

I had a site with the same problem.  I restarted the server and the messages
started moving much faster.

>Within the last two weeks we have seen a serious decline in performance on
>our exchange server. We are running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on WinNT 4.0 SP5 using
>Outlook 2000 and mac clients. The main issue is that manipulating messages
>that contain attachments is very slow, regardless of how large the
>attachment is (even 5k). The system is also just generally slower overall.
>We recently installed Symantec Antivirus for Microsoft Exchange on our
>server for virus protection and I was thinking this was probably the cause
>but I wanted to find out if anyone had any experience with this. We have
>plenty of space available on the server and have run optimizer recently.
>thanks
>Colin Bondi

slow response times

Post by Mediaon » Tue, 30 Jan 2001 12:24:37

I had a similar problem with NAV.  After researching and working with
Symantec Tech Support, they basically said, "that's the way it is, don't
blame us, it's Microsoft's API."

I switched to Antigen 6.0, and the performance hit on attachments went away.

> I had a site with the same problem.  I restarted the server and the
messages
> started moving much faster.

> >Within the last two weeks we have seen a serious decline in performance
on
> >our exchange server. We are running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on WinNT 4.0 SP5
using
> >Outlook 2000 and mac clients. The main issue is that manipulating
messages
> >that contain attachments is very slow, regardless of how large the
> >attachment is (even 5k). The system is also just generally slower
overall.
> >We recently installed Symantec Antivirus for Microsoft Exchange on our
> >server for virus protection and I was thinking this was probably the
cause
> >but I wanted to find out if anyone had any experience with this. We have
> >plenty of space available on the server and have run optimizer recently.
> >thanks
> >Colin Bondi

1. Slow Response time

Hello ,
I have one exchange server in our lan with two global catalog.
exchange is installed on member server.
I have problem that I have slow response time when doing exchange
tasks like create mail boxes , move mail boxes , create address
lists , open properties pages in system manager and ect...
what could be the problem?.
I also have exchange in test lab and it's working good there.
Thank you in advance

2. Adding disclaimer to mail messages

3. Slow response time opening attachments

4. Exchange2000 How???

5. outlook has slow response time with new server

6. Moving Exchange Server After ADS Structure/Schema is Established

7. slow response times

8. including a second domain

9. slow response time when dealing with 3800 contacts

10. outlook 97 & 98 has slow response time with new server

11. Slow login response times for Exchange 2000

12. Clients start seeing slow response

13. Slow response from Public contact List