Outlook 2000 can't find outlook.ost

Post by Joseph LeMa » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Outlook 2000 on Win2000, accessing exchange server 5.5.
I have it set up with an OST file under
Tools-Services-Exchange-Advanced-Offline folder settings.
I choose "work offline" when I start outlook, and I can see all the
email there, so things seem to be working, but when I browse through the
operating system, the OST file isn't there.  The folders it's supposed
to be in don't exist either.  Any way I can confirm the existence of
this OST file?

Joe LeMay

http://www.joelemay.com

Outlook 2000 can't find outlook.ost

Post by Chris Scharf » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Outlook 2000 on Win2000, accessing exchange server 5.5.
>I have it set up with an OST file under
>Tools-Services-Exchange-Advanced-Offline folder settings.
>I choose "work offline" when I start outlook, and I can see all the
>email there, so things seem to be working, but when I browse through the
>operating system, the OST file isn't there.  The folders it's supposed
>to be in don't exist either.  Any way I can confirm the existence of
>this OST file?

When you do a search for it, does explorer find it? Is mail being
delivered to the server (which would be in an OST file) or locally to
a PST file?

--
Chris Scharff, MVP-Exchange
Senior Systems Consultant

Exchange FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

Outlook 2000 can't find outlook.ost

Post by Joseph LeMa » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

explorer does not find any OST or PST file on the machine when doing a
search.
I go into exchange administrator, and I can see all his mail is still in
the exchange server mailbox.
we physically disconnected the machine from the network, and were still
able to read the offline mail, so there's got to be an OST file there,
right?
I just can't find it.  I wonder if windows 2000 is hiding it somehow.
perhaps some sort of encryption setting would do this?

> >Outlook 2000 on Win2000, accessing exchange server 5.5.
> >I have it set up with an OST file under
> >Tools-Services-Exchange-Advanced-Offline folder settings.
> >I choose "work offline" when I start outlook, and I can see all the
> >email there, so things seem to be working, but when I browse through the
> >operating system, the OST file isn't there.  The folders it's supposed
> >to be in don't exist either.  Any way I can confirm the existence of
> >this OST file?

> When you do a search for it, does explorer find it? Is mail being
> delivered to the server (which would be in an OST file) or locally to
> a PST file?

> --
> Chris Scharff, MVP-Exchange
> Senior Systems Consultant
> Simpler-Webb, Inc.

> Exchange FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

Outlook 2000 can't find outlook.ost

Post by Joseph LeMa » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

nevermind.  it was a hidden file or folder.  didn't know you could also
hide folders in win 2000.

> explorer does not find any OST or PST file on the machine when doing a
> search.
> I go into exchange administrator, and I can see all his mail is still in
> the exchange server mailbox.
> we physically disconnected the machine from the network, and were still
> able to read the offline mail, so there's got to be an OST file there,
> right?
> I just can't find it.  I wonder if windows 2000 is hiding it somehow.
> perhaps some sort of encryption setting would do this?

> > >Outlook 2000 on Win2000, accessing exchange server 5.5.
> > >I have it set up with an OST file under
> > >Tools-Services-Exchange-Advanced-Offline folder settings.
> > >I choose "work offline" when I start outlook, and I can see all the
> > >email there, so things seem to be working, but when I browse through the
> > >operating system, the OST file isn't there.  The folders it's supposed
> > >to be in don't exist either.  Any way I can confirm the existence of
> > >this OST file?

> > When you do a search for it, does explorer find it? Is mail being
> > delivered to the server (which would be in an OST file) or locally to
> > a PST file?

> > --
> > Chris Scharff, MVP-Exchange
> > Senior Systems Consultant
> > Simpler-Webb, Inc.

> > Exchange FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

Outlook 2000 can't find outlook.ost

Post by Amiri Jone » Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:00:00

    Hiding folders is nothing new to Windows 2000.  You can do it in
previous versions of Windows as well.