using rules

Post by Cheri » Thu, 01 May 2003 02:31:41

I'm trying to create a rule that will "have server send
reply using specific message".  When I create the message
I'd like the rule to reply with, I populate the "From"
field with the address from which I'd like the message to
be from.  The "from" address is a distribution list.

Permissions are set correctly on the list (ie: I'm a User,
which means I have Send As permission).  I can
successfully create a new message and send it with the
list name in the From field.  However when I try to create
a rule that'll reply with a message using that address in
the From field it's unable to activate the rule - it
claims there's "not enough space on the server" to save my
rule.

That's a bogus error because if I change the rule by
making the From field blank, then the rule saves and
activates just fine.

Hopefully I haven't confused anyone - if you understand
what I'm trying to do please let me know if you have a way
to make this work.  Or please let me know if you're able
to find a KB article that explains why I can't do this.
I've been searching with no luck.  Thanks in advance.

using rules

Post by Scott Fellman [MSFT » Thu, 01 May 2003 22:05:04

Cherie,

There is a 32k limit imposed on rules. Are you absolutely sure that you have
no other rules in your mailbox? If so, maybe you need to try a shorter DL
name or response.

147298 XCLN: Maximum Number of Rules Per Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=147298

Hope this helps,
--
Scott Fellman
Microsoft

Quote:> I'm trying to create a rule that will "have server send
> reply using specific message".  When I create the message
> I'd like the rule to reply with, I populate the "From"
> field with the address from which I'd like the message to
> be from.  The "from" address is a distribution list.

> Permissions are set correctly on the list (ie: I'm a User,
> which means I have Send As permission).  I can
> successfully create a new message and send it with the
> list name in the From field.  However when I try to create
> a rule that'll reply with a message using that address in
> the From field it's unable to activate the rule - it
> claims there's "not enough space on the server" to save my
> rule.

> That's a bogus error because if I change the rule by
> making the From field blank, then the rule saves and
> activates just fine.

> Hopefully I haven't confused anyone - if you understand
> what I'm trying to do please let me know if you have a way
> to make this work.  Or please let me know if you're able
> to find a KB article that explains why I can't do this.
> I've been searching with no luck.  Thanks in advance.

using rules

Post by Sue Mosher [MVP » Thu, 01 May 2003 22:27:43

AFAIK, Outlook does not support setting the From address via a rule, probably because the rule structure doesn't have any place for that information.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

> I'm trying to create a rule that will "have server send
> reply using specific message".  When I create the message
> I'd like the rule to reply with, I populate the "From"
> field with the address from which I'd like the message to
> be from.  The "from" address is a distribution list.

> Permissions are set correctly on the list (ie: I'm a User,
> which means I have Send As permission).  I can
> successfully create a new message and send it with the
> list name in the From field.  However when I try to create
> a rule that'll reply with a message using that address in
> the From field it's unable to activate the rule - it
> claims there's "not enough space on the server" to save my
> rule.

> That's a bogus error because if I change the rule by
> making the From field blank, then the rule saves and
> activates just fine.

> Hopefully I haven't confused anyone - if you understand
> what I'm trying to do please let me know if you have a way
> to make this work.  Or please let me know if you're able
> to find a KB article that explains why I can't do this.
> I've been searching with no luck.  Thanks in advance.

using rules

Post by Cheri » Fri, 02 May 2003 20:37:54

Thank you, Sue.  That's what I thought, but of course I
couldn't find any information to confirm it.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>AFAIK, Outlook does not support setting the From address

via a rule, probably because the rule structure doesn't
have any place for that information.
>--
>Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
>Outlook and Exchange solutions at http://www.slipstick.com
>Author of
>     Microsoft Outlook Programming: Jumpstart
>     for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
>     http://www.slipstick.com/books/jumpstart.htm

Quote:>> I'm trying to create a rule that will "have server send
>> reply using specific message".  When I create the
message
>> I'd like the rule to reply with, I populate the "From"
>> field with the address from which I'd like the message
>> be from.  The "from" address is a distribution list.

>> Permissions are set correctly on the list (ie: I'm a
User,
>> which means I have Send As permission).  I can
>> successfully create a new message and send it with the
>> list name in the From field.  However when I try to
create
>> a rule that'll reply with a message using that address
in
>> the From field it's unable to activate the rule - it
>> claims there's "not enough space on the server" to save
my
>> rule.

>> That's a bogus error because if I change the rule by
>> making the From field blank, then the rule saves and
>> activates just fine.

>> Hopefully I haven't confused anyone - if you understand
>> what I'm trying to do please let me know if you have a
way
>> to make this work.  Or please let me know if you're
able
>> to find a KB article that explains why I can't do
this.
>> I've been searching with no luck.  Thanks in advance.
>.

using rules

Post by Martin Dreh » Tue, 13 May 2003 19:11:36

Hmm, this is just the answer to the problem I'm having... but is there a way
to change this 32k limit or in some way get around the limitation??

Hope you can help,

Martin

> Cherie,

> There is a 32k limit imposed on rules. Are you absolutely sure that you
have
> no other rules in your mailbox? If so, maybe you need to try a shorter DL
> name or response.

> 147298 XCLN: Maximum Number of Rules Per Folder
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=147298

> Hope this helps,
> --
> Scott Fellman
> Microsoft
> --
rights.

> > I'm trying to create a rule that will "have server send
> > reply using specific message".  When I create the message
> > I'd like the rule to reply with, I populate the "From"
> > field with the address from which I'd like the message to
> > be from.  The "from" address is a distribution list.

> > Permissions are set correctly on the list (ie: I'm a User,
> > which means I have Send As permission).  I can
> > successfully create a new message and send it with the
> > list name in the From field.  However when I try to create
> > a rule that'll reply with a message using that address in
> > the From field it's unable to activate the rule - it
> > claims there's "not enough space on the server" to save my
> > rule.

> > That's a bogus error because if I change the rule by
> > making the From field blank, then the rule saves and
> > activates just fine.

> > Hopefully I haven't confused anyone - if you understand
> > what I'm trying to do please let me know if you have a way
> > to make this work.  Or please let me know if you're able
> > to find a KB article that explains why I can't do this.
> > I've been searching with no luck.  Thanks in advance.

1. Unable to forward Internet email using Rule Wizard??

Hi All,

Please help!
I have W2K server with Exchange 2000 server installed. All clients are using
MS Outlook 2000.
Problem:
- I use Rule Wizard to set Outlook to forward any email come in to my Inbox
and have it forward to an Internet mail account (outside company), it
doesn't work!!
- But if I set it to forward to email within company account, it work!!!??
What's going on?? Anyone know how to solve? Please Help!

Regards
Tee

2. Admin.exe Import

3. OWA: Using Rule.dll

4. controlling exchange memory usage.

5. Using Rules Wizard to Mark Message as Read

6. OWA multiple Servers

7. Redirect non-delivery reports using rules

8. re-install OWA?

9. Effect of individual clients using rules to filter SPAM

10. using rules

11. Blank SENDER when using rules in Outlook

12. By using Rules Wizard.

13. Saving attachments using Rules Wizard