Delay in new e-mail notification Outlook 2002

Delay in new e-mail notification Outlook 2002

Post by Saffdaw » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 07:50:21

I have one user that will not be notified if he has a new message in his
mailbox.  To find out he has new mail, the user had to open another message
or switch folders.  I initially recreated his profile thinking that was the
issue.  This did not work.

I saw a number of postings regarding the fix in MS knowledge bas article
305572, but it doesn't apply to my network.  All of my clients are running
Windows XP SP1 and are using Outlook 2002 (XP) SP2.  The email server is
Exchange 5.5 running on a Windows NT 4.0 server with SP6a applied.  The
personal firewall software is NOT enabled on the clients and there is NO NAT
in between the clients and the server.  No errors have been logged to my
switches in regards to dropped packets so this user should have no problems
being notified of new email.

I disabled Instant Messenger in both Outlook and in Windows because another
user was having problems with a delay in opening mail.  All DNS seems to be
working properly.  Again it is only happening on one user.

I applied the polling fix to the users computer mentioned in the above KB
article, but there is still a couple minute delay in email retrieval.  This
is better than no notification at all, but this "solution" seems to be more
of a "work around" than a fix.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Delay in new e-mail notification Outlook 2002

Post by Andrew Sword [MVP » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:18:49

Check the IP settings, network card driver and get the user to log on to
another machine. See if the other machine has the same issue.

--
Regards
Andrew Sword, MVP

Quote:> I have one user that will not be notified if he has a new message in his

Post by C » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:01:01

> Check the IP settings, network card driver and get the user to log on to
> another machine. See if the other machine has the same issue.

> --
> Regards
> Andrew Sword, MVP

>> I have one user that will not be notified if he has a new message in his
>> mailbox.  To find out he has new mail, the user had to open another
> message
>> or switch folders.  I initially recreated his profile thinking that was
> the
>> issue.  This did not work.

>> I saw a number of postings regarding the fix in MS knowledge bas article
>> 305572, but it doesn't apply to my network.  All of my clients are running
>> Windows XP SP1 and are using Outlook 2002 (XP) SP2.  The email server is
>> Exchange 5.5 running on a Windows NT 4.0 server with SP6a applied.  The
>> personal firewall software is NOT enabled on the clients and there is NO
> NAT
>> in between the clients and the server.  No errors have been logged to my
>> switches in regards to dropped packets so this user should have no
> problems
>> being notified of new email.

>> I disabled Instant Messenger in both Outlook and in Windows because
> another
>> user was having problems with a delay in opening mail.  All DNS seems to
> be
>> working properly.  Again it is only happening on one user.

>> I applied the polling fix to the users computer mentioned in the above KB
>> article, but there is still a couple minute delay in email retrieval.
> This
>> is better than no notification at all, but this "solution" seems to be
> more
>> of a "work around" than a fix.

>> Does anyone have any ideas?

>> Thanks.

I've had this problem before, we've solved it by opening
tcp-high-ports (above 1024) in the firewall between the mailsystem
and the clients. While we are running w2k and ex2k, which should
not use netbios, this is exactly what this fix suggests.
Is it perhaps so that although a tcp/ip email client outlook
still uses the ever so poor netbios protocol?

br, Christofer.