32 bit Outlook with 16 bit Office?

Post by Larr » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

During our installation of Exchange Clients, some of the Windows 95 machines
failed to restart. During the boot process I get a "Windows protection
error" message.  My Boss thinks it's because were installing the 32 bit
Outlook 97 Client on machines running the 16 bit Microsoft Office. I
disagree but I cant give a good explanation for the lock up. I also need to
get these locked machines up and running. Any thoughts o Windows protection
error?

1. 16/32 bit Outlook Clients Incompatible?

I have been waiting for the 5.5 upgrade, featuring _ta-da_ 16-bit
Outlook, because I have a mixture of 16- and 32-bit clients and some
users with portable, home, and desk machines that do not have the same
bitness.  This week I bought the upgrade.  So far, it appears to me that
the "16-bit client" is a fraud.  The reason is that the two clients do
not seem to be able to share common offline data.  The 16- bit client
seems to be merely a "nameplate upgrade" to the old Exchange client and
MS Schedule, continuing to use separate files (*.pab and *.pst) while
the 32-bit client uses a single (*.ost) file.

Am I missing something here or have I just been screwed out of $300 by
MS?  I am getting so damned tired of the "accidental" file
incompatibilities which can always be eliminated by going though the
expense and grief of buying endless MS "upgrades."  VB4/VB5, Access
16/Access 32, Word 95/Word 97, ...

tia,
Geo. Anderson
--
(please remove the letters "NO_SPAM" from my reply-to address)
Remember, the people who paint lane stripes on the road

2. Client performance problem

3. Exchange 5.0 Development Environment 16 or 32 bit

4. Global Address List?

5. 32 bit Outlook 97 STF editor will not work

6. sudden restart on exchange

7. 16-bit Outlook

8. The originator does not have permission to submit message

9. Outlook 97/98 16 Bit Client

10. Outlook 98 and 16 bit forms.

11. Exchange 16 bit Client and OutLook 98 Calendars

12. Outlook 16 bit

13. 16 bit Outlook/Exchange client