Message Recall Failed

Post by paul » Fri, 02 May 2003 05:34:41

Running Exchange 2000 Enterprise SP3 on Windows 2000
Advanced Server for several months - Until today users
could recall messages as long as they had not been
opened.  Now users can no longer recall messages.  When
the user attempts to recall the message they receive a
reply noting that the recall failed.  The user on the other
end also receives a message stating that the sending user
tried to recall the message as well as the original
message.
Any thoughts as to what could be causing this?
thanks.
paul

Message Recall Failed

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Fri, 02 May 2003 12:52:43

I've seen the problem occur more often than I've seen message recall ever
work. I generally suggest that people not use it as it isn't reliable. The
list of requirements for successful recall is pretty lengthy...and I think
it's worse to have it not work than not to use it at all. Tell people the
best idea is to exercise caution before hititng Send.... sorry.

> Running Exchange 2000 Enterprise SP3 on Windows 2000
> Advanced Server for several months - Until today users
> could recall messages as long as they had not been
> opened.  Now users can no longer recall messages.  When
> the user attempts to recall the message they receive a
> reply noting that the recall failed.  The user on the other
> end also receives a message stating that the sending user
> tried to recall the message as well as the original
> message.
> Any thoughts as to what could be causing this?
> thanks.
> paul

Message Recall Failed

Post by paul » Fri, 02 May 2003 21:55:42

has anyone called MS about this issue?
the recall failures are internal, among staff using the
same exchange server, w/s hardware, os, outlook 2000
client, and the emails sent are not being open, meeting
all the requirement.
thanks for the input.
paul
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I've seen the problem occur more often than I've seen
message recall ever
>work. I generally suggest that people not use it as it
isn't reliable. The
>list of requirements for successful recall is pretty

lengthy...and I think
>it's worse to have it not work than not to use it at all.
Tell people the
>best idea is to exercise caution before hititng Send....
sorry.

>> Running Exchange 2000 Enterprise SP3 on Windows 2000
>> Advanced Server for several months - Until today users
>> could recall messages as long as they had not been
>> opened.  Now users can no longer recall messages.  When
>> the user attempts to recall the message they receive a
>> reply noting that the recall failed.  The user on the
other
>> end also receives a message stating that the sending
user
>> tried to recall the message as well as the original
>> message.
>> Any thoughts as to what could be causing this?
>> thanks.
>> paul

>.

Message Recall Failed

Post by Ed Woodric » Sat, 03 May 2003 03:02:19

The message recall functionality is COMPLETELY a function of the Outlook
client. The Exchange Server has nothing to do with it. So if you are having
a problem with a recall, it's ONLY between the sending and receiving
workstations, not the server.

Processing of the Message Recall is something that Outlook does and can be
easily disabled. If it isn't working, then look at the configuration of the
destination Outlook, someone probably turned the feature off.

Message Recall is essentially a *throw, it might work, it might not work
when sending to another Outlook recipient. It WON'T work when sending to any
other mail reader.

In general, I don't recommend that it be used. Treat email as you would
postal mail, once you've stuck the envelope in the big blue box, there is no
way to recover it.

Ed Woodrick MVP - Exchange

> has anyone called MS about this issue?
> the recall failures are internal, among staff using the
> same exchange server, w/s hardware, os, outlook 2000
> client, and the emails sent are not being open, meeting
> all the requirement.
> thanks for the input.
> paul

1. Message recall fails after several hours....

Hi all,
    We're running Exchange 2000 SP2 with all of the
hotfixes. The setup works great but when a user tries to
recall a sent message (using outlook, any version, any
service pack)the recall takes several hours (sometimes
overnight) and usually fails.

What am I missing? Is the recall performed during
maintence of the IS? Do I need to schedule the maintenance
more often?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

2. Kalendar for Resources disappears

3. Message Recall Failed

4. exchange 5.5 recovery

5. Recalling Messages Fails

6. Outlook Setup

7. Recall Message Failed

8. Can't Uninstall Exchange 5.5

9. Recall sent message failed in Outlook97

10. Why does Message Recall show the original post with the Message Recall Message?

11. Recall a message problem

12. Recalling messages

13. Attempting to verify Message Recall Functionality