How do you recover emails in a mailbox from a failed/cancelled archive attempt?

How do you recover emails in a mailbox from a failed/cancelled archive attempt?

Post by Paul » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 16:44:59

How does one recover emails from a mailbox from a failed
or cancelled archive process? I mounted another users'
mailbox via Tools->Services->Advanced->Add a mailbox
feature and then I attempted to archive the persons'
inbox. It was a huge inbox and at some point I cancelled
the process thinking that the contents of the inbox would
still be intact since the process never reached
completion. Later, the owner of the mailbox called and
said that his inbox was totally empty! When I checked his
inbox it was true and it had been emptied out. The bad
thing is that the archive that had been created in the
process had been trashed and emptied since I never thought
that it would remove the contents of the orginal mailbox.

So what gives? I thought that by archiving mailboxes it
would simply create an archive file and leave the contents
of the original mailbox intact - where the user could just
later on manually delete the items that were backed up.

I tried desperately in vain to recover the lost email but
I was unsuccessful. I was just wondering if there is any
way in the main server (Microsoft Exchange 2000) that we
have for our email where I can recover the lost contents
of the inbox. Doesn't Exchange Server keep some sort of
active backup automatically?

Help! As this is a life or death situation for me and I am
stumped!

How do you recover emails in a mailbox from a failed/cancelled archive attempt?

Post by Sue Mosher [MVP » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 21:51:06

Archive in Outlook means *move* not copy messages to a PST file. I don't think that Recover Delete Items applies, but it's worth checking anyway, assuming you had the dumpster on. Attempting to recover the PST file would also be something to try. Failing either of those, you are backing up the server's information store regularly, I hope.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

> How does one recover emails from a mailbox from a failed
> or cancelled archive process? I mounted another users'
> mailbox via Tools->Services->Advanced->Add a mailbox
> feature and then I attempted to archive the persons'
> inbox. It was a huge inbox and at some point I cancelled
> the process thinking that the contents of the inbox would
> still be intact since the process never reached
> completion. Later, the owner of the mailbox called and
> said that his inbox was totally empty! When I checked his
> inbox it was true and it had been emptied out. The bad
> thing is that the archive that had been created in the
> process had been trashed and emptied since I never thought
> that it would remove the contents of the orginal mailbox.

> So what gives? I thought that by archiving mailboxes it
> would simply create an archive file and leave the contents
> of the original mailbox intact - where the user could just
> later on manually delete the items that were backed up.

> I tried desperately in vain to recover the lost email but
> I was unsuccessful. I was just wondering if there is any
> way in the main server (Microsoft Exchange 2000) that we
> have for our email where I can recover the lost contents
> of the inbox. Doesn't Exchange Server keep some sort of
> active backup automatically?

> Help! As this is a life or death situation for me and I am
> stumped!

1. How can I recover mailbox contents after a failed or cancelled archive attempt

[...]

2. Where do I get information about how to use Exchange?

3. How to recove mailbox contents from a failed/cancelled archive attempt

4. how to move mail box to another recipients container

5. OWA Login Cancelled or Failed

6. Antigen by Sybaris

7. Logon attempt failed: HrLookupCredentials() call failed (??)

8. Some questions about development

9. OWA Login Cancelled or Failed

10. recover attachments from archived email

11. Recovering 5.5 pub.edb from online backup done with Windows 2000 ntbackup

12. Message Store archive folder - can this be done?