Exchange hosed after server restore

Post by Jerald Sheet » Sat, 15 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Ok.  This is a loooong one, so sit tight.
I am a relatively new admin, so the obvious "You Loser" comments will be
taken in stride.
    I have a client with a 14 station network running MS Networking to an NT
Server 4.0 SP3.  On this server they have Exchange 4.0 SP (3, 4? whichever
is current).  In the course of daily operations, one of their hard drives
containing the Exchange server went down.  It was at this time I learned of
the idiosyncrasies of backing up an exchange server.....THE HARD WAY!  So, I
restored the rest of the drive from backup & reinstalled Exchange (losing
all of their previous information) plus the service packs.  Everything
seemed ok, but then I started noticing some problems.  All clients are
Outlook97.  Within outlook, some of the problems I've noticed are:  No
Reminders, errant reminders, all reminders showing up at once.  When trying
to go from one month to another in calendar view, zooms forward 15 years or
so then stops.  mail notifications not showing up, etc.  So, I ran all the
custom command line switches for outlook & cleaned up all the little wierd
problems with Outlook.
    The next problem I have encountered I have worked on all week with no
success.  From various client stations, when browsing the tree, you cannot
right-click a public folder & get the extra administration tabs.
Furthermore, after adding full rights to everyone in the building
(admin+permissions) nobody can even open the public folders anymore.  This
is quite strange to me in that it seems adding full permissions shouldn't
deny rights to the folders, but emphasize full access, no?  I really think
my Outlook problems are over, and this is server side related, but I thought
I'd go ahead & post this in the Outlook group as well.
Please Help!  Insanity nearing    :)
Jerald Sheets
Systems Admin
Explore Baton Rouge

1. Security Hosed after restored Server

[...]

2. log files

3. Forwarding Exchange 2000 Email To POP3 Account

4. ArcServe has completely hosed up my exchange server.

5. Trying to get external e-mail from a pop3 server with E2K

6. New server - hmmm??

7. Exchange 5.0 Hose unknown Name Server xxxxxx :host not found

8. Security Roll up 2002 Hoses Exchnage Server

9. Restore IS onto Exchange Restore Server Help

10. Moving Exchange after Active Directory is hosed

11. My exchange installation got hosed!