Exchange MAPI issue

Post by michael Jenki » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 12:43:29

I have a real dilemma. I have a SBS 2000 machine where no
one on the network can access the email through MAPI
calls. I can access the M:\ drive on the server and I can
see the email via OWA but outlook can not see the stores
and the Exchange admin MMC tells me both the public and
Private stores are not mounted. If I right click to mount,
it is greyed out. I suspect the permissions used by the
account (that the Mapi calls make), are no good. I ran an
ESEUTIL integrity check on the stores and they came up
fine.

Now a little history. The machine was an SBS4.5 machine
and a 3rd party services company ran an SBS2000 retail
upgrade on it. This ran for about 2 years.  More recently,
The machine had been the target of a virus attack (All
spammer viruses, non destructive) so I suggested the
client install Trend Neatsuite. We installed this and
Scanmail needed SP3 for Exchange 2000. I then installed
SP2 to go to SP3 and bang, no outlook access anymore. I
have also installed W2k SP3 and ISA SP1.

I get the following errors:

When I use Microsoft Exchange System Manager and click on
the mailbox store, I receive error c1041724 and a
corresponding error in the event log

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeSA
Event Category: MAPI Session
Event ID: 9175
The MAPI call 'OpenMsgStore' failed with the following
error: The attempt to log on to the Microsoft Exchange
Server computer has failed. The MAPI provider failed.
Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store ID no:
8004011d-0512-00000000

I have basically tried searching "support.microsoft.com"
and "groups.google.com" until I am blue in the face. I
have found many articles and from what I can gather, SP2
for exchange changed how the exchange software interacted
with the AD and can cause this issue.
I have tried all methods of repair that I found and it is
in the same boat. I even installed SP3 (Last attempt) and
the server is the same. The MDB and streaming files are
there and the folders/files have full read/write for all
users on them.

From some articles I tried to fix the issue by deleting
the Systemmailbox
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
us;q274534) and running "setup /domainprep" to repair the
AD.

I have come no closer. I have gone through every place in
the MMC and set the permissions so basically anyone has
admin privileges but still no go.

I have rebooted the Pc about 4 times. I note that the
mailbox file structure for the "systemmailbox" remains on
the m:\ drive and that a new account for the systemmailbox
has not been recreated ( I can not delete the mailbox
either as it says it is not really there). I have checked
that the server sees the only server at the site as the DC
and GC. I have removed scanmail. still no go

Any ideas ?

Exchange MAPI issue

Post by Davi » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:14:43

it really does sound like a permissions issue, I'd go into
ADSIedit, and check the permissions on the Exchange
organization object and so on, until I saw what is
missing. Other than that, the only thing I can tell you
is, make sure that your drives where the databases are
living are NOT  compressed. You mentioned upgrading SP2 to
SP3, and that's the most common issue with not being able
to mount the stores. but the error ID you listed points to
permissions. Are you able to run the delegation wizard on
the org thru the ESM? If not, then that may be the issue.

David

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
> [...]

>users on them.

>From some articles I tried to fix the issue by deleting
>the Systemmailbox
>(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
>us;q274534) and running "setup /domainprep" to repair the
>AD.

>I have come no closer. I have gone through every place in
>the MMC and set the permissions so basically anyone has
>admin privileges but still no go.

>I have rebooted the Pc about 4 times. I note that the
>mailbox file structure for the "systemmailbox" remains on
>the m:\ drive and that a new account for the
systemmailbox
>has not been recreated ( I can not delete the mailbox
>either as it says it is not really there). I have checked
>that the server sees the only server at the site as the
DC
>and GC. I have removed scanmail. still no go

Exchange MAPI issue

Post by Michael Jenki » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:23:49

Hello David,

Fixed. After sitting idle for a few days the error code
has changed and the systemmailbox account on the M:\ drive
vanished.

The solution finally turned out to be 319760

Thanks for your help.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----