Outlook Fails to reslove name in Exchange Address List

Outlook Fails to reslove name in Exchange Address List

Post by michae » Thu, 01 May 2003 04:18:15

Hi,

I have a problem with Outlook connecting to my Exchange
server. I get the error "The name cannot be matched to a
name in the address list". I have a W2k AD DC and a member
server as my Exchange Server, XSERVER.

The Exchange Server can resolve the W2K DC via DNS look up
of its complete name, i.e., W2KServer.TEST2.LOCAL using
ping.

DNS is set up as Active Directory integrated on the
W2KServer. All machines point to the W2kServer to provide
DNS. The W2kServer does not have the "." root domain.

I add a user say, Test User, testuser. Create a mailbox
for the testuser.

I try to start Outlook, Enter XSERVER for the Exchange
Server and testuser for the Mailbox. I get the above
failure.

Thanks for any advice,

Michael

Outlook Fails to reslove name in Exchange Address List

Post by michae » Thu, 01 May 2003 05:19:11

Additional info: Both servers are at SP2
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,

>I have a problem with Outlook connecting to my Exchange
>server. I get the error "The name cannot be matched to a
>name in the address list". I have a W2k AD DC and a
member
>server as my Exchange Server, XSERVER.

>The Exchange Server can resolve the W2K DC via DNS look
up
>of its complete name, i.e., W2KServer.TEST2.LOCAL using
>ping.

>DNS is set up as Active Directory integrated on the
>W2KServer. All machines point to the W2kServer to provide
>DNS. The W2kServer does not have the "." root domain.

>I add a user say, Test User, testuser. Create a mailbox
>for the testuser.

>I try to start Outlook, Enter XSERVER for the Exchange
>Server and testuser for the Mailbox. I get the above
>failure.

>Thanks for any advice,

>Michael
>.

Outlook Fails to reslove name in Exchange Address List

Post by kent » Thu, 01 May 2003 07:29:51

Have you try Administrator account? does it work?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Additional info: Both servers are at SP2

Post by michae » Thu, 01 May 2003 09:14:00

Eureka! Discovered the solution.

It appears that RUS, Recipient Update Service has to be
configured initially to point to the Exchange Server and
the AD Domain Controller. This is accomplished by using
the Exchange System Manager. Open Recipients. Open
Recipient Update Service Folder. Right click the two
default RUS objects and point them to your Exchange Server
and Domain Controller. You can then use Rebuild and Update
Now to initialize RUS.

Hope this is info saves someone out there their afternoon.

Good Luck,

Michael

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,

>I have a problem with Outlook connecting to my Exchange
>server. I get the error "The name cannot be matched to a
>name in the address list". I have a W2k AD DC and a
member
>server as my Exchange Server, XSERVER.

>The Exchange Server can resolve the W2K DC via DNS look
up
>of its complete name, i.e., W2KServer.TEST2.LOCAL using
>ping.

>DNS is set up as Active Directory integrated on the
>W2KServer. All machines point to the W2kServer to provide
>DNS. The W2kServer does not have the "." root domain.

>I add a user say, Test User, testuser. Create a mailbox
>for the testuser.

>I try to start Outlook, Enter XSERVER for the Exchange
>Server and testuser for the Mailbox. I get the above
>failure.

>Thanks for any advice,

>Michael
>.

1. Hiding Domain name site name and recipient lists names in the Outlook address book list

We are running Exchange 5.5 with Outlook 98 clients on one server and one
domain

When the users are writing mail and need to choose an address from an
address book, they see the domain name, the site name, the exchange address
views, the recipients lists names, the distribution lists names and their
personal contacts. As we work with address views, I don't want the users to
see the domain name, site name and recipient lists names in the list (in
Outlook), only the exchange address views and their own contacts. Is it
possible and how ?

thanks,

Eric Bracke

2. Imposed signature

3. URGENT: Intern needs help

4. Very slowly conection Outlook 8.02 Vs. Exchange Server 5.5

5. IIS, SMTP and Exchange 2000

6. Global Address List Display -Last Name VS First name or First name Last name

7. Outlook can't resolve names in Global Catalog/Exchange 2000 Address lists after new install

8. How to reslove a contact item from the name

9. Outlook Name Lists for address books