New Mail Notification Delay unless activity is done in Outlook

New Mail Notification Delay unless activity is done in Outlook

Post by clif » Sun, 05 May 2002 00:14:55

We are running Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2000 & 2002 on
several platforms.  Our problem is that unless a user
clicks on some aspect of Outlook while idle, some new
email notifications do not come across for anywhere
between 5 180 minutes.

New Mail Notification Delay unless activity is done in Outlook

Post by AI » Tue, 07 May 2002 21:54:32

Hello,

Please refer to our Knowledge Base article "You Cannot Receive New E-mail
Notifications in Outlook" at
http://www.intermedia.net/support/kb/default.asp?id=758.

Please also check
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q264035.

Regards,
Intermedia.NET (AI)
Microsoft Certified Solutions Provider
Providing expertise in hosting applications
MS Exchange Hosting: http://www.intermedia.net/exchangehosting
Windows 2000 Web Hosting:  http://www.intermedia.net/webhosting
For a waiver of the set up fee use "IMFREE" code

Quote:> We are running Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2000 & 2002 on
> several platforms.  Our problem is that unless a user
> clicks on some aspect of Outlook while idle, some new
> email notifications do not come across for anywhere
> between 5 180 minutes.

New Mail Notification Delay unless activity is done in Outlook

Post by Tee_Ja » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 19:44:08

how come your Outlook hotfix doesn't appear in any
Microsoft papers?
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hello,

>Please refer to our Knowledge Base article "You Cannot
Receive New E-mail
>Notifications in Outlook" at
>http://www.intermedia.net/support/kb/default.asp?id=758.

>Please also check
us;Q264035.

>Regards,
>Intermedia.NET (AI)
>Microsoft Certified Solutions Provider
>Providing expertise in hosting applications
>MS Exchange Hosting:

http://www.intermedia.net/exchangehosting
Quote:>Windows 2000 Web Hosting:

http://www.intermedia.net/webhosting

>For a waiver of the set up fee use "IMFREE" code

>> We are running Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2000 & 2002 on
>> several platforms.  Our problem is that unless a user
>> clicks on some aspect of Outlook while idle, some new
>> email notifications do not come across for anywhere
>> between 5 180 minutes.

>.

New Mail Notification Delay unless activity is done in Outlook

Post by Lanwenc » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 23:08:46

What hotfix? Did you actually read the KB article?

> how come your Outlook hotfix doesn't appear in any
> Microsoft papers?

1. Delay in new e-mail notification Outlook 2002

I have one user that will not be notified if he has a new message in his
mailbox.  To find out he has new mail, the user had to open another message
or switch folders.  I initially recreated his profile thinking that was the
issue.  This did not work.

I saw a number of postings regarding the fix in MS knowledge bas article
305572, but it doesn't apply to my network.  All of my clients are running
Windows XP SP1 and are using Outlook 2002 (XP) SP2.  The email server is
Exchange 5.5 running on a Windows NT 4.0 server with SP6a applied.  The
personal firewall software is NOT enabled on the clients and there is NO NAT
in between the clients and the server.  No errors have been logged to my
switches in regards to dropped packets so this user should have no problems
being notified of new email.

I disabled Instant Messenger in both Outlook and in Windows because another
user was having problems with a delay in opening mail.  All DNS seems to be
working properly.  Again it is only happening on one user.

I applied the polling fix to the users computer mentioned in the above KB
article, but there is still a couple minute delay in email retrieval.  This
is better than no notification at all, but this "solution" seems to be more
of a "work around" than a fix.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

2. CDO Session logon fails when VB6 app run as a service

3. Delay in new mail notifications

4. exchange 2000 - appointments

5. ?? Delayed notification of New Mail

6. remote mail access

7. ?? Delayed Notification of new mail

8. Setting permissions to subfolders in a turn

9. Delay in new mail notification

10. Outlook doesn't show new messages unless you open an existing message first

11. New Mail Notification but no new mail!

12. New Mail Notification with No New Mail

13. New Mail Notification but no new mail!